Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Owner says getting a Franchise QB a priority!!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Really? Maybe even to the point of desperation? Stay with me for a minute on this...

“We need someone to step up, whether it’s an existing young quarterback or somebody we go out and acquire,” Lurie told CSNPhilly.com. “We know -- this is no secret -- quarterback is the [ultimate] position and the most important difference-maker.”

“The better quarterbacks are real consistent. Rookie quarterbacks are not. Troy Aikman, John Elway, Peyton [Manning]. The only guy I know is Dan Marino, who was great from the get-go. I don’t know anybody who wasn’t like really erratic (as a rookie). So I think you’ve got to just look at it really in an analytic sense. Anyone who thinks that a rookie quarterback, whether it’s Nick or Matt, is going to flow through and be Player of the Week every week is silly.”

[URL]http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/eagles-owner-jeffrey-lurie-says-finding-franchise-quarterback-160711531--nfl.html[/URL]

And following suit this off season?....my guess is....

Dallas
    Chicago
    Cleveland
    St. Louis
    Arizona
    Detroit
    Tampa Bay
    Houston
    Tennessee
    etc.
    etc.

Let the bidding begin!!

How do you figure Dallas and Detroit are gonna be looking for QB's???

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    How do you figure Dallas and Detroit are gonna be looking for QB's???
    Why not? They aint going anywhere with the ones they have. And Tony Romo's time is running out. And if ever there was and owner who acted on desperation, it's Jerry Jones.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    No because:

a. Totally unrealistic and unlikely example to make a point
    b. Most importantly I remember the years between Bradshaw and Ben and the numerous failed attempts to get a quality QB.
    Why is that unrealistic? St. Louis has a pretty good defense, a solid RB, and some decent receivers in place. They are just one piece away. And keeping those picks and having Sam Bradford as their QB, isnt going to get them to a Super Bowl.

Well I'm glad you remember those years in between Bradshaw and Ben. Cuz what you are about to see the next few years is going to be worse. To your point, the Steelers have a franchise QB and are about to have a season probably worse than any of those years from Bradshaw to Ben. 4-12? 5-11? 6-10 at best? But as long as we have a franchise QB it's ok with you?

Legend

User Info Menu

Romo just signed a new contract in 2013 for 6 years with $55M guaranteed and another $25M in bonuses. Cowboys are not in the QB market.

Stafford also just signed an extension in 2013. It's through 2017 and is worth $53M including $27.5 M in a signing bonus. The Lions have their QB as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't often agree with Dee Dub, but I get his thinking. This team has many holes, so by the time the Steelers are able to plug them either through draft or free agency, it is likely Ben will be at the very twilight of his career (assuming he even survives that long). You can win a SB without a franchise QB, it's been done before. It's just a little harder because all the other pieces need to be perfect, but it can be done.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Don't often agree with Dee Dub, but I get his thinking. This team has many holes, so by the time the Steelers are able to plug them either through draft or free agency, it is likely Ben will be at the very twilight of his career (assuming he even survives that long). You can win a SB without a franchise QB, it's been done before. It's just a little harder because all the other pieces need to be perfect, but it can be done.
    The steelers gave many holes, but if you fill those holes and end up with a hole QB you are no better off. Rarely, do teams in today's NFL get to the super bowl with an average QB, it happens, but rarely.

IMO, the Steelers need to fill the other holes and ride Ben until he's ineffective.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The steelers gave many holes, but if you fill those holes and end up with a hole QB you are no better off. Rarely, do teams in today's NFL get to the super bowl with an average QB, it happens, but rarely.

IMO, the Steelers need to fill the other holes and ride Ben until he's ineffective.

Pappy
    Pappy, I think that Dub's point is that by the time the Steelers plug the holes that they need to in order to contend again, Ben's window will have shut. To that end, his value is as high today as it will be going forward, so this could be the time to leverage his value into hope for the future.

I don't necessarily agree with him, but I certainly see his point. It all comes down to a matter of timing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Romo just signed a new contract in 2013 for 6 years with $55M guaranteed and another $25M in bonuses. Cowboys are not in the QB market.

Stafford also just signed an extension in 2013. It's through 2017 and is worth $53M including $27.5 M in a signing bonus. The Lions have their QB as well.
    I have numbers that trump that. The Cowboys have only one playoff win since 1996 and Detroit is 27-45 over the 5 years Stafford has been their QB. You guys understand that most of these contracts and the money back end isn't guaranteed,right?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It's now or never. I do not believe the Steelers will have this opportunity again. This off season is going to be the last time they could get a great return for Ben.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    OK so having this franchise QB means what? 3-13? 4-12? 5-11? I could understand if this team where in the thick of winning again. They are far removed from that and getting very little return on having a franchise QB right now.

The Steelers made it to a super bowl with Neil O'Donnell and 2 AFC Championship games with Kordell Stewart. Build a dominant defense and power running game and they can win again regardless who their QB is. I am not suggesting to settle for mediocrity at QB. I believe in this draft there are several who are far better than Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, and Tommy Maddox.