Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When is the right time to focus on player development/evaluation more than winning?

Starter

User Info Menu

Never. Absolutely never. You play to win every game you compete in. If we are 5-10 then you fight your ass off to be 6-10. This is not a development league. The coaches know exactly what they have in every guy on the roster. Playing kids before they are ready does not develop talent. What it does do is enable young players to develop bad habits and confidence issues very early in their careers. If you what to see this type of thing watch the Browns. This play the young guys as soon as the season is in doubt strategy has done wonders for them over the years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    Never. Absolutely never. You play to win every game you compete in. If we are 5-10 then you fight your ass off to be 6-10. This is not a development league. The coaches know exactly what they have in every guy on the roster. Playing kids before they are ready does not develop talent. What it does do is enable young players to develop bad habits and confidence issues very early in their careers. If you what to see this type of thing watch the Browns. This play the young guys as soon as the season is in doubt strategy has done wonders for them over the years.
    This post= $$$

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree.

It's plain to see the fans that would give up on their teams if they were coaches or players.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I agree except for the comment in bold. I don't think Tomlin has a damn clue on what he has (or doesn't have) with some o these guys on the roster. Some of his decisions seem like he's grasping at straws in hopes that one of them will eventually working out.

Speaking of the Browns and "grasping at straws"....

Grasping-at-Straws.jpg
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

There it is. It's always about winning no matter what. Anything less would be a cancer that creeps into the culture. And if the guys on the field aren't getting it done, it's an opportunity for new guys to prove they can contribute in practice and the meeting rooms and being ready when the opportunity arises. And if those guys can't cut it, find guys that can and bring them in to compete.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    There it is. It's always about winning no matter what. Anything less would be a cancer that creeps into the culture. And if the guys on the field aren't getting it done, it's an opportunity for new guys to prove they can contribute in practice and the meeting rooms and being ready when the opportunity arises. And if those guys can't cut it, find guys that can and bring them in to compete.
    Yay Steelers!!! Now go out and get us a W against those pat*s
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Yay Steelers!!! Now go out and get us a W against those pat*s

Let's crush em. 45-6 would be just about right.

Legend

User Info Menu

. When is the right time to focus on player development/evaluation more than winning
    Training Camp.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

By Dejan Kovacevik
    Published: Wednesday, Oct. 30, 2013, 11:00 p.m.

Here's hoping Jarvis Jones fails miserably Sunday in Foxborough. Here's hoping he falls flat on his face.

Because then, at least, he'll play.

Because then, at least, the Steelers’ first-round, franchise-caliber outside linebacker won't be buried on the sideline when he could be — should be — facing the first-place Patriots, the future Hall of Famer Tom Brady and, you know, getting better.

As it is, that won't be the case. Jones won't play much, if at all, after being demoted to second-string behind Jason Worilds.

And, as a result, he won't get better.

“I feel like the coaches are doing a good job making the best decisions for the team,” Jones was saying Wednesday on the South Side. “I don't feel any different.”

But wouldn't he learn more by playing than not playing?

“Uh, yeah,” he replied through a small smile. “But you've got to take a different view of things. I think we do a great job of film study. I think we've got a lot of guys, with my teammates and coaching staff, who are ready to help me. So ... I've got ways to learn.”

Way to handle that one, rookie.

I know Jones was terrible Sunday in Oakland. I know he couldn't keep outside contain on Terrelle Pryor, couldn't keep up with pass coverage, couldn't mount any real pressure much less collect his first NFL sack. If he were being graded, he'd get maybe a D-minus.

And so what?

For this team, at 2-5 and heading nowhere, at a pivoting point like no other in a decade or more, this kid needs to play. He needs to learn. He needs to get better. He needs a meaningful stretch in which to get comfortable after being hampered by a preseason chest injury and, more recently, the concussion.

Worilds is a fourth-year guy, he's blown his shot at replacing James Harrison, and he won't even be around next season. He's an unrestricted free agent, and there's no chance the cap-constrained Steelers will keep a third outside linebacker at open-market rates.

So what's the point?

I asked Mike Tomlin at his Tuesday news conference if he'd weigh the future in terms of getting Jones back out there right away, or if it's just about Sunday's game.

“Jarvis has got to play better from an assignment standpoint,” the coach came back. “If he's capable of showing that, he'll be given an opportunity to contribute now. I think that's where our mentality is and where it should be at this juncture.”

The “now” emphasis was Tomlin's, and it's neither new nor surprising.

I can respect his call to an extent. Fact is, if the Steelers somehow pull one out against the Patriots, they've got a whole lot of Browns, Bills and Baltimore up next. It's not inconceivable they could stay on life support.

But is that worth stunting Jones, the player Tomlin and Kevin Colbert were calling one of the handful of “special” players in his draft class?

Or any other youngster on this roster?

Sorry, but the concept of actual contention burned up Sunday in Pryor's vapor trails. The shifting of priorities should be happening now. The Steelers could be — should be — working simultaneously to win Sunday's game and to get the best out of this entire draft class that had everyone glowing not so long ago.

Second-rounder Le'Veon Bell is the No. 1 running back, which is wonderful.

But third-round wide receiver Markus Wheaton was barely getting onto the field before breaking a finger.

And what of fourth-round safety Shamarko Thomas?

He is seeing a decent amount of time in Dick LeBeau's dime and “quarter” formations that go heavy on defensive backs and allow Troy Polamalu to hover near the line. In effect, Thomas has covered Polamalu's old spot.

But why not more?

Ryan Clark, the other veteran safety, is 34, is having a miserable season and, like Worilds, will become an unrestricted free agent. There's nothing left for him to see, maybe nothing he can do to salvage the Steelers' season. In contrast, imagine the jump-start Thomas would get on his career by facing the likes of Brady, Joe Flacco and Aaron Rodgers.

Yeah, I know. It's all about Sunday's game, right?

Must explain why LaMarr Woodley, author of zero tackles and zero assists in Oakland, will line up as the other outside linebacker in Foxborough.

Let the kid watch and learn.

Read more: [URL]http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/4962440-74/jones-kovacevic-steelers#ixzz2jMOjkTuu[/URL]
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 10-31-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

So, Dejan thinks the rookie who screwed up a bunch of assignments should be rewarded with more playing time?

Good call...