Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones Demoted

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think this is the end of the world. Hopefully it motivates Jones to be better with discipline and learning his assignments. I'm sure he will be back in the mix soon and I'd be surprised if he isn't starting again by the end of the season. Let him use the benching as a learning opportunity and as an opportunity for motivation to get better.

I still think Jones will be good going forward. I'd like to see him really hit the weights in the offseason. He shows flashes, and I think some experience and some weight training will get him to his potential.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Maybe they ought to bench his counterpart on the other side for a game. At least Jones had a tackle. Mr. $61 million had all of 0 tackles and 0 assists vs. the Raiders...not to mention his part in Pryor's history-making 93-yard TD run.
    Woodley did not have a good game, but from what I heard on the radio, his responsibility was to crash on the running back. Timmons was supposed to have the QB and Clark should have been, well, at least paying attention. Timmons took responsibility for blowing his assignment.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    OMG- who do you think you are to come into this thread and post with common sense?
    I SOrRi...I lOst mE head fUr a SeKunD. I'm better now! JJ is a Bust! Release him. Trade BB. Trade for Fitz! Draft a QB #1. Fire Tomlin! Fire Colbert! Sell the Team to China! Feeling much better now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Woodley did not have a good game, but from what I heard on the radio, his responsibility was to crash on the running back. Timmons was supposed to have the QB and Clark should have been, well, at least paying attention. Timmons took responsibility for blowing his assignment.
    I just heard that too. Wolf & Labriola talked about it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Prime example of the danger of judging a player by the look of the play, rather than the design. Which begs the question, how possibly can PFF rate a guy's performance not knowing what his specific assignment was on each and every play?

PFF is great for the fans (and the website owners) but pretty useless as an objective evaluation of a player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hopefully it motivates Jones to be better with discipline and learning his assignments. I'm sure he will be back in the mix soon and I'd be surprised if he isn't starting again by the end of the season. Let him use the benching as a learning opportunity and as an opportunity for motivation to get better.
    My bigger concern with Jones is if he actually needs to be motivated to be better. If he doesn't have that in him already it is a wasted Round 1 pick.

IMO Jone will be OK. I don't think he will be the great pass rusher others do but he will be better than average and good for about 7-8 sacks per year. I would love to be wrong and see him become the next Kevin Greene, but not banking on it.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    My bigger concern with Jones is if he actually needs to be motivated to be better. If he doesn't have that in him already it is a wasted Round 1 pick.
    Philly said he hoped it motivated him to be better with DISCIPLINE and learning his ASSIGNMENTS...

you've been bashing the Lebeau Encyclapedia for 5 years and now you wonder if a rooke lacks motivation? LOL...

Backup

User Info Menu

Strange that other teams seem to get more out of their rookies and the Steelers can't.

Maybe the defense doesn't need to be so complex to be successful..... not like it's been really successful over the last year anyways.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Prime example of the danger of judging a player by the look of the play, rather than the design. Which begs the question, how possibly can PFF rate a guy's performance not knowing what his specific assignment was on each and every play?

PFF is great for the fans (and the website owners) but pretty useless as an objective evaluation of a player.
    That could be true in some cases. I'm sure "ASSumptions" are made with regards to simple x's & o's & football 101 to do the grading. For example, on the Woodley play, OLB is responsible for contain in a simple base. Now, either from film study gameplan or a stunt-blitz that changed on that play. Apparently, Woodley was supposed to come down hard backside & Timmons was responsible for D gap. Designed or read of pulling G...Whatever the case...He did his job. However, Timmons wasn't the only one on that play that made a mistake but he was the 1st it fell on.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    Strange that other teams seem to get more out of their rookies and the Steelers can't.

Maybe the defense doesn't need to be so complex to be successful..... not like it's been really successful over the last year anyways.
    Could be the players or the position coaches that share in the responsibility. For some reason, Carnell seems to be able to get his young players playing and contributing quicker than the other positions. He's got a good track record going with young players like Allen and Shark coming in right away and playing.

Why do Mitchell and Butler need 3 years of retraining before we get anything from young guys on their units? And the DLine and LBs are the units getting the premiere picks in the draft. So the transition should be easier for their rookies.