Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it me or ...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bowldog View Post
    How many times this season so far has a veteran fumbled, dropped a pass, missed a blocking assignment, missed a tackle, taken the wrong angle, missed a sack, missed a field goal etc.. TOO many times imo. Last game alone 1) Woodley overuns fake handoff by QB, result -7pts, 2) Missed FG at the end of the half, result -3pts, 3) missed field goal in the 2nd half, result - 3pts. 4) Receiver drops 2 passes that would be 1st downs. Nobody is perfect but veterans are expected to at least be positively consistent. If we cut OUR mistakes in half we would be looking at 5-2 record. That being said lets turn it around and finish the season 6-1, squeek into the playoffs and shock the world with our 7th SB win.
    If Ben cut his mistakes in half or made half the plays he's capable of making, he could have overcome everything and this is a 7-0 team. It's almost like when Tommy Maddox went bad after his injury. It feels like something happened to Ben and we lost the old Ben forever.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Ghost, I hear what you are saying. I find it interesting that Haley has had success at every gig he has been at except this one. Why is that?
    Haley's success was always short lived...

He had Warner, Boldin and Fitz and they had a nice run... but remember, Warner has always been a worst to first type of QB. When he is in a zone he is a very good QB.

KC had a nice run attack... but it didn't last.

I think the key to part of his success is OL. Our OL has been sh#tty for years and Ben deserves much of the blame for praising their poor play. Then again... maybe part of their poor play is Ben not throwing to open guys in the flat.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    If Ben cut his mistakes in half or made half the plays he's capable of making, he could have overcome everything and this is a 7-0 team. It's almost like when Tommy Maddox went bad after his injury. It feels like something happened to Ben and we lost the old Ben forever.
    Regularly getting the hell beat out of you, going through 2 rape allegations, getting married, having kids and having Haley forced on you, could take the edge off of just about anyone. Who knows if he'll ever be the same old Ben. It's hard to imagine it happening under Todd Haley.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Haley, ARII and a seriously inept Oline happened to Ben.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    This team isn't going any where next season because of they way they draft, not because of Coach Haley.

2012 - 1 out of first 5 picks doing anything (DeCastro). 2nd rounder was a HUGE reach and why we need to be looking yet again for O-line.
    2011 - Average at best DE in round 1. 5th round corner who gets burned a lot but still growing so may be serviceable. That's it.
    2010 - Pouncey has been worth a 1. Your second round guy was a huge reach and has been beat out by a rookie this year. There was better talent to be had at 2 this draft but Steelers took a project.
    2009 - Hood in round one and a total bust. Rest of draft gone.
    2008 - Mendy was decent but never lived up to the hype. After him, the draft was one of the all time worst in Steelers history.

I'd also add that the Steelers precarious cap situation is higher on the list of 2014 major issues, also above Haley.
    Not to nitpick, but I think Heyward has played pretty well this season. I still have high hopes for him.

In general though, poor drafting is catching up. Also, mortgaging the future by pushing salary forward is going to be tough to overcome in the next few years. Salary Cap Hell is upon us.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Speaking of OL did you see that Seahawks (SB contender) line last night. That was worse than ours, but with both OT out what should you expect?