Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 games into the season and it's time to talk draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

You don't have to "drug screen" people in your mock Shawn. You do enough to call a guy a talent but don't know he is all over the news and what happened. That's a huge rock you are under. Hey...That's fine if that's what you want people to believe. You want to be critical of draftees by the Steelers and say you knew it all along but the Steelers didn't see it on one hand. On the other hand you want me to believe you don't do your homework because you don't get paid to be thorough & that's why you don't know about the mess Lyerla is in...I don't buy it. We will leave that argument go. I'm not going to put my foot on someone's head why they tread water.

The Steelers miss...Just like you & I. Just like 31 other teams. To say someone didn't show anything in college to deserve to get drafted into the NFL in the 2nd round by the Steelers is ridiculous. I did the predraft process on Adams & Gilbert. I watched Adams play allot being a Big 10 guy. After they were selected I even did it more thoroughly. Neither were a reach. Both deserved their grades. That was the consensus on both. Inconsistencies was on both their resumes but that doesn't make them undraftable or 4th or 5th round grades. That's the draft. The track record speaks for itself. Will they both end up as cuts & never be good starters? Time will tell. They are at least sniffing the field so I for one won't sweep them under the rug just yet. I believe coaching needs to be addressed. I saw a flat line across the board with the young OL this year after Koogs left & Bicknell came aboard. My assessment is the Steelers made a mistake thinking Adams was ready for the left side. They put allot of "hope" that was the answer. If they had a quality LT & didn't have Gilbert... Adams would be logging starts at RT for the last two years & this conversation wouldn't be taking place. They were wrong. Damage has been done. That is another discussion. Is it irreversible? Unfortunately all of that is on Adams and his "past" leaves it in doubt right now. With Gilbert at RT..The best thing for him right now is to get on the field at TE. That won't be the cure all but let's hope that keeps his head on right & keeps him on track. Adams should have went the Marvel Smith - Max Starks route until he was ready...Not when the FO needed him to be ready.
    Are you Mike Adams cousin? WTF... you sound real hurt over this.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Are you Mike Adams cousin? WTF... you sound real hurt over this.
    Nah...Wouldn't know him from you. Not hurt..pi$$ed the Steelers will have to spend a Top 10 pick on a LT.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Don't worry JPN! Drafting a top LT will end up plan b if they can't trade for more picks! Need to replace old high priced players and mediocre young replaceable draft picks. Would be nice to have 2 1st round picks, 2 second round, 2 3rd rd, 2 fourth, use late rounds to move back up even. Just need to hit on most of the picks! Can have a very good team next year! Will we lose a few games because of youth mistakes sure! But by playoffs next year most should have some season. I still have hope!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Don't worry JPN! Drafting a top LT will end up plan b if they can't trade for more picks! Need to replace old high priced players and mediocre young replaceable draft picks. Would be nice to have 2 1st round picks, 2 second round, 2 3rd rd, 2 fourth, use late rounds to move back up even. Just need to hit on most of the picks! Can have a very good team next year! Will we lose a few games because of youth mistakes sure! But by playoffs next year most should have some season. I still have hope!

Just remember the worst team in the NFL last year is the only undefeated team in the NFL this year. Not sure we can turn it around completely by next year, but it shouldn't take long.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I see no reason to trade down. I really don't.

There isn't enough roster spots this coming year. They *might* cut Ike if he doesn't agree to a paycut but I don't think they can because we lost Keenan Lewis. Lewis and Allen would've been fine as starters next year but now we don't have that option. Polamalu will probably take a pay cut for his final year and then retire.

Keisel is probably gone so that's 1 roster spot on defense. Maybe he'll try and sign a 1-2 year deal.. im not sure. Ryan Clark is done so that's another roster spot. Hood MIGHT free up 1 more roster spot unless he gets a new (cheap) contract which wouldn't surprise me.

Who else? They aren't cutting Woodley, Timmons, McClendon, or Heyward. Next year, this team will have a few new faces but not many...Offense will have even less especially starters. On offense, the only two positions for a rookie to start would be LT or WR/TE (hybrid-type TE). The rest will be for depth.

And that is exactly why they won't trade down this year....
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If they had a quality LT & didn't have Gilbert... Adams would be logging starts at RT for the last two years & this conversation wouldn't be taking place. They were wrong. Damage has been done. That is another discussion. Is it irreversible? Unfortunately all of that is on Adams and his "past" leaves it in doubt right now. With Gilbert at RT..The best thing for him right now is to get on the field at TE. That won't be the cure all but let's hope that keeps his head on right & keeps him on track. Adams should have went the Marvel Smith - Max Starks route until he was ready...Not when the FO needed him to be ready.
    No offense to you J-P-N, but I hate that excuse for Adams. It is not like we made a Defensive Tackle try and play (Offensive) Left Tackle. Switching of sides is overrated. I mean... you probably will be less effective, but it isn't going to turn you from a starting quality RT into a laughable LT.

The notion that the switch may have irreversably affected him is annoying too (i.e. as if they ruined his chances to be a good player by letting him in the starting lineup). Whatever happens in his career, it is of his doing.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I see no reason to trade down. I really don't.

There isn't enough roster spots this coming year. They *might* cut Ike if he doesn't agree to a paycut but I don't think they can because we lost Keenan Lewis. Lewis and Allen would've been fine as starters next year but now we don't have that option. Polamalu will probably take a pay cut for his final year and then retire.

Keisel is probably gone so that's 1 roster spot on defense. Maybe he'll try and sign a 1-2 year deal.. im not sure. Ryan Clark is done so that's another roster spot. Hood MIGHT free up 1 more roster spot unless he gets a new (cheap) contract which wouldn't surprise me.

Who else? They aren't cutting Woodley, Timmons, McClendon, or Heyward. Next year, this team will have a few new faces but not many...Offense will have even less especially starters. On offense, the only two positions for a rookie to start would be LT or WR/TE (hybrid-type TE). The rest will be for depth.

And that is exactly why they won't trade down this year....
    You don't always draft to fill immediate holes. If you can upgrade a position you do it even if it is down the road. You need quality backups as well. Remember probably 1/4 of your draft won't stick. Right now Hood, Clark, Keisel could be gone but there is always turnover in your STs players and of course offense. They have one good RB so you could have spots for at least one or two more. Crotchery isn't young and Sanders is a FA. That's 2 WR spots. The OL needs help badly and the Gilbert/ Adams experiment maybe over. Pouncey only has a couple years left on his rookie deal. They have ONE good TE in Miller.

See there are tons of spots for good players on this team. And I didn't even talk about CB or DBs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    No offense to you J-P-N, but I hate that excuse for Adams. It is not like we made a Defensive Tackle try and play (Offensive) Left Tackle. Switching of sides is overrated. I mean... you probably will be less effective, but it isn't going to turn you from a starting quality RT into a laughable LT.

The notion that the switch may have irreversably affected him is annoying too (i.e. as if they ruined his chances to be a good player by letting him in the starting lineup). Whatever happens in his career, it is of his doing.
    I understand the frustration by fans when two second round tackles don't work out. But, I agree...soft is soft. Gilbert was known as soft before the draft...Adams should have been. Right tackle, left tackle it doesn't matter...if you don't have a bit of a mean streak and struggle with work ethic and consistency...well being drafted in the second round and getting paid isn't going to help that. I'm sorry if my opinion offends some people.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    You don't always draft to fill immediate holes. If you can upgrade a position you do it even if it is down the road. You need quality backups as well. Remember probably 1/4 of your draft won't stick. Right now Hood, Clark, Keisel could be gone but there is always turnover in your STs players and of course offense. They have one good RB so you could have spots for at least one or two more. Crotchery isn't young and Sanders is a FA. That's 2 WR spots. The OL needs help badly and the Gilbert/ Adams experiment maybe over. Pouncey only has a couple years left on his rookie deal. They have ONE good TE in Miller.

See there are tons of spots for good players on this team. And I didn't even talk about CB or DBs.
    I agree so many possible holes to fill. I NEVER expect the Steelers to draft rookie starters. But this year could be very different. But so many say this team has garbage talent the draft is the #1 way for the Steelers to replenish talent. Trade down get a couple picks for this year or next. Heck if the Steelers end up at the top of each round maybe there is a guy to move up into say the end of 3rd rd from the fourth. Or fifth to fourth. Need to be aggressive in this draft I think. To many older draft picks not up to replace old players. Need to replace them some how.

Administrator

User Info Menu

You guys simply don't get it.

We're not going to trade down so just get over it. Even if we trade down (not gonna happen), the arguments that I see is that we need depth? Are you freaking serious? We don't need depth. We need starters. When we have good starters, then lets worry about depth.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.