Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 games into the season and it's time to talk draft

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just get an olineman please!!! 7 olineman!!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Just get an olineman please!!! 7 olineman!!!
    Sing it brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If they feel Adams or Beachum is the answer at LT by season end...Which is my #1 wish....I would love to see that.
    I don't see how Beachum can be the long-term answer at LT. He is a good fill-in, and works hard, but he's at a disadvantage because of his frame and arm-length. Perhaps Adams can learn to be an LT, but I think he's more of a RT prospect.

IMO, this team needs to quit messing around with "projects" at LT, and go after the real deal. Add one great LT, and I think you'd see a huge difference in this OL...well, if they can stay healthy, that is.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 11-01-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I don't see how Beachum can be the long-term answer at LT. He is a good fill-in, and works hard, but he's at a disadvantage because of his frame and arm-length. Perhaps Adams can learn to be an LT, but I think he's more of a RT prospect.

IMO, this team needs to quit messing around with "projects" at LT, and go after the real deal. Add one great LT, and I think you'd see a huge difference in this OL...well, if they can stay healthy, that is.
    I agree. Beachum is the answer to replace Foster not at OT. I still think both Adams and Gilbert have a future but they are both RTs. We don't have a serviceable LT on this roster let alone a potentially good one. That is why the next draft is so important...yes I'm banking on a Top 10 pick!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post

Beachum has less than ideal height at 6'3" and although his arms aren't short 33 1/4" you would like to see OT arms 34" +. Jordan Gross was a pretty good LT at 6'4" and I'm sure we could find other examples...But the other side of the spectrum is 6'5"+ and it numbers plenty.

I'm with you though...I'm hoping Adams is the answer. The reason right not why Beachum is starting at LT is from the neck up. That is the frustrating part of the whole process from college, to evaluation, projection, & playing. You just can't project if that player will "Get It." If a player can't think fast...He will never play fast.

Adams is struggling in recognition. That is something you need to get down first because that filters negatively down through reaction & technique. Even when he gets the recognition & reaction right...He has to get more consistent with his technique especially his hands. He needs to punch first & then react. I can also see he needs to get stronger in his upper body because he is lunging & ducking his head when he tries to get his punch in. Can't bend at the waist & lunge. Have to bend your knees & keep you weight over your feet. Head up...Use your upper body & back to absorb the momentum and stay off your heels to move your feet to counter. #1 rule is punch & kill a speed rushers momentum. You have to attack speed rushers out of the gate negating his physical advantage. Adams is trying to position & punch because he is worried about the speed. In his mind, kicksliding & reacting will help him with the speed. In reality, you are allowing the defender to use his physical advantage by letting him get up to full speed. Speed equates to momentum & power. Now he has speed on you & gained power. It's harder to counter someone full speed when your hands aren't on him. What good is having long arms & power advantage if you don't use them. You often hear coaches tell young players they need to trust their eyes & be confident in the ability. Adams needs to see it, get their first, and believe he can win no matter what is thrown at him. That's it...That's what can't be coached. He can look like an All Pro in drills and be a textbook from what he was taught. He needs to believe in it come gametime or he will look like he is on roller skates until the day they cut him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Beachum has less than ideal height at 6'3" and although his arms aren't short 33 1/4" you would like to see OT arms 34" +. Jordan Gross was a pretty good LT at 6'4" and I'm sure we could find other examples...But the other side of the spectrum is 6'5"+ and it numbers plenty.

I'm with you though...I'm hoping Adams is the answer. The reason right not why Beachum is starting at LT is from the neck up. That is the frustrating part of the whole process from college, to evaluation, projection, & playing. You just can't project if that player will "Get It." If a player can't think fast...He will never play fast.

Adams is struggling in recognition. That is something you need to get down first because that filters negatively down through reaction & technique. Even when he gets the recognition & reaction right...He has to get more consistent with his technique especially his hands. He needs to punch first & then react. I can also see he needs to get stronger in his upper body because he is lunging & ducking his head when he tries to get his punch in. Can't bend at the waist & lunge. Have to bend your knees & keep you weight over your feet. Head up...Use your upper body & back to absorb the momentum and stay off your heels to move your feet to counter. #1 rule is punch & kill a speed rushers momentum. You have to attack speed rushers out of the gate negating his physical advantage. Adams is trying to position & punch because he is worried about the speed. In his mind, kicksliding & reacting will help him with the speed. In reality, you are allowing the defender to use his physical advantage by letting him get up to full speed. Speed equates to momentum & power. Now he has speed on you & gained power. It's harder to counter someone full speed when your hands aren't on him. What good is having long arms & power advantage if you don't use them. You often hear coaches tell young players they need to trust their eyes & be confident in the ability. Adams needs to see it, get their first, and believe he can win no matter what is thrown at him. That's it...That's what can't be coached. He can look like an All Pro in drills and be a textbook from what he was taught. He needs to believe in it come gametime or he will look like he is on roller skates until the day they cut him.
    Excellent post and I think you are right on!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    This was the year to get the help for Heath in the form of Tyler Eifert but we got a benched OLB. Yeah for us!
    Through nine games, Eifert has 27 receptions (3 per game), 307 yards (34 per game), and one TD. He is not the leading TE on the team. This is a team that throws the ball 37 times a game, so despite the surrounding talent there should be many balls to go around.

Oh, and yesterday on the radio I heard a discussion asking if his QB is elite. And I keep hearing that the QB of the Steelers is awful and has cost us 5 games so far...so how much do you think that Eifert would be contributing in Pittsburgh? He may be a great one, but I don't think that he would be contributing all that much this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's funny. I watch other teams, other QBs play, and they get much more time to throw than the Steelers give Ben. When the QB does not have much time to throw, the commentators react as if it is an impossible situation for the QB to succeed on the play. Drop backs like that are more the norm than the exception for the Steelers this season.

Take the safety to end the game last night. I heard on NFLN a discussion in which the play was reviewed, and the final comment was something along the lines of it just being a great one-on-one play by Wake against Zeittler and that is why the play happened. I also saw a receiver cutting across the middle just a couple of yards downfield with nobody around him. Dalton could have dumped it across the line to him and hope that he can turn it into a first.

Ben sees this amount of pressure regularly! I would say that on at least 50% of his drop backs, the pressure hits at least that quickly. Spin it any way you want, but #7 operates under greatly different circumstances than any other successful QB.

That being said, there have to be two priorities for this off season. Number one, find someone to protect the QB. What is all of this talk about "maybe Beachum or Adams or Gilbert will suddenly improve"? Does somebody here have a magic wand that we are not aware of? Not one of these guys is even close to being a strong, consistent, blind side protector. I say get your franchise LT and pray that one of the three can become a RT.

The second is find somebody who can teach our linemen how to play offensive line in the NFL. Name one OL on this roster who has improved his game since arriving. I can name two...Kelin Beachum, Ramon Foster. One went from UDFA to okay starting LG. One went from late round pick to spot starter/quality backup. Pouncey, Gilbert, Adams, Decastro (although I can give him a temporary pass due to injury), Urbik (who could not succeed in Pittsburgh but did under other coaching) etc.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    It's funny. I watch other teams, other QBs play, and they get much more time to throw than the Steelers give Ben. When the QB does not have much time to throw, the commentators react as if it is an impossible situation for the QB to succeed on the play. Drop backs like that are more the norm than the exception for the Steelers this season.

Take the safety to end the game last night. I heard on NFLN a discussion in which the play was reviewed, and the final comment was something along the lines of it just being a great one-on-one play by Wake against Zeittler and that is why the play happened. I also saw a receiver cutting across the middle just a couple of yards downfield with nobody around him. Dalton could have dumped it across the line to him and hope that he can turn it into a first.

Ben sees this amount of pressure regularly! I would say that on at least 50% of his drop backs, the pressure hits at least that quickly. Spin it any way you want, but #7 operates under greatly different circumstances than any other successful QB.

That being said, there have to be two priorities for this off season. Number one, find someone to protect the QB. What is all of this talk about "maybe Beachum or Adams or Gilbert will suddenly improve"? Does somebody here have a magic wand that we are not aware of? Not one of these guys is even close to being a strong, consistent, blind side protector. I say get your franchise LT and pray that one of the three can become a RT.

The second is find somebody who can teach our linemen how to play offensive line in the NFL. Name one OL on this roster who has improved his game since arriving. I can name two...Kelin Beachum, Ramon Foster. One went from UDFA to okay starting LG. One went from late round pick to spot starter/quality backup. Pouncey, Gilbert, Adams, Decastro (although I can give him a temporary pass due to injury), Urbik (who could not succeed in Pittsburgh but did under other coaching) etc.
    Shhhhhhhhhhhh!! You might confuse some Steeler fans about what Ben is playing with.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

So with all these shortcomings, how is it that many board members were touting the Adams pick as a good one? (I for one was never sold on the guy.... and still not.)