Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 126

Thread: 7 games into the season and it's time to talk draft

  1. #31
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Posts
    740
    Has to be a LT in the first round unless the lightbulb suddenly goes on for someone. The pre draft process will definitely be interesting to watch for the LT position with late risers. Kouandjio and Matthews are 1 and 2 in my mind right now. Ultimately it just comes down to what teams pick before the Steelers
    Trade #15 (1) to 49ers for #’s 30, 61, 242 (1, 2,7)

    1.Kyle Fuller –CB– Virginia Tech –6/200
    2.Shayne Skov –ILB– Stanford –6-2/245
    2.Cody Latimer –WR– Indiana –6-2/ 220
    3.Justin Ellis –NT– Louisiana Tech –6-2/330
    4.Shaquil Barrett –OLB– CSU –6-2/250
    5.Shaquille Richardson –CB– Arizona –6/200
    5.Taylor Hart –DE– Oregon –6-5/280
    6.Seantrel Henderson –OT– Miami –6-7/330
    6.Jordan Najvar – TE – Baylor – 6-6/250
    7.Nick Williams –S– North Alabama –6-2/220
    7.Jacques Smith –OLB– Tennessee –6-1/250

  2. #32
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,411
    The thing with the bloodline thing, is how much it says about a kids preparedness for NFL fame and fortune. With Matthews, you pretty much know how he will react. With Kouanjdio, who ever knows how it will affect a poor African kid. I'm not talking racial either; I'm talking any son of a famous football father--you got a distinct advantage, not only conditioning but also the social structure and rearing. The ceiling may be higher with Kouanjdio, but the floor is also higher with Matthews. He is about as low-risk (given the only other factor, injury... He is a MATTHEWS after all) as a prospect can get.

  3. #33
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,108
    i think the most ready is hopefully what they look for if they think they could make another run.

    as far as the run blocking. im so f'in tired of hearing that. its easier to teach techniques for run blocking then to teach someone how to stop a speed rusher from getting to the qb

    name me 1 steeler OL over the years who wasnt considered better at run blocking then pass pro.
    who ever is better at pass pro better be the pick

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    i think the most ready is hopefully what they look for if they think they could make another run.

    as far as the run blocking. im so f'in tired of hearing that. its easier to teach techniques for run blocking then to teach someone how to stop a speed rusher from getting to the qb

    name me 1 steeler OL over the years who wasnt considered better at run blocking then pass pro.
    who ever is better at pass pro better be the pick
    $$$$$$$$$$
    We need to get an elite pass-blocker at LT.

  5. #35
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    i think the most ready is hopefully what they look for if they think they could make another run.

    as far as the run blocking. im so f'in tired of hearing that. its easier to teach techniques for run blocking then to teach someone how to stop a speed rusher from getting to the qb

    name me 1 steeler OL over the years who wasnt considered better at run blocking then pass pro.
    who ever is better at pass pro better be the pick
    I'll jump to football..Not at Matthews & Kouandjio first. It all starts with the run blocking. That is why you heard "a better run blocker then pass pro" over the years. There isn't anywhere on the field you could hide an OL that can't run block except the bench. "Techniques" can be taught but you have to have good feet, body control, understand leverage, and the ability to get out in space & hit a moving target. You can't be a waist bender...You have to bend at the knees. You won't see ANY team getting a guy on the field because he is a great pass blocker but can't block worth $hit in the run game. I'm sure some of the people in here who played ball heard this saying before...You have to learn to block going forward before backward. Run blocking is where an OL starts his trade. On top of that...You can't just "teach" someone to stop a speed rusher from getting to the QB...You have to have the "tools". So ever failure at LT is on the OL coach because he can't teach it or the OL because he is stupid & can't get it? Really?

    Now back to Matthews & Kouandjio. Both are ready for the field. Kouandjio is not a project. Matthews is a good football player. I have no problem with him. I think Kouandjio will be the better pro. As a Steeler fan, I think Kouandjio fits better. If I was a team who operated out of the shotgun & fair weather...I would covet Matthews. Being this is Steeler Country & Steeler Football...I would take Kouandjio. Both are equally talented LTs imo. Best words to describe why my preference...Matthews is a competitor...Kouandjio is a finisher. The Steelers need a finisher.
    1st (T-D) Kelvin Benjamin WR
    2nd Bradley Roby CB
    3a Kareem Martin DE
    3b C.J. Fiedorowicz TE
    4th Christian Jones LB
    5a Dri Archer RB
    5b Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
    6a Beau Allen NT
    6b Shaquille Richardson CB
    7th John Brown WR

  6. #36
    I think all you LT guys are going to be crying in the first round this year. If all the QB's can keep the hype rolling after the combine. IF the steelers end up with a top 10 pick I can see a trade down and take a WR, CB, NT. A trade down and 2015 pick. Would be nice.

    Also I will be saying this till and after the draft. Kind of pissed how nice that 3rd pick the browns got off us will be now! When I figured at the time the pick would be a lower in the round!

  7. #37
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I think all you LT guys are going to be crying in the first round this year. If all the QB's can keep the hype rolling after the combine. IF the steelers end up with a top 10 pick I can see a trade down and take a WR, CB, NT. A trade down and 2015 pick. Would be nice.

    Also I will be saying this till and after the draft. Kind of pissed how nice that 3rd pick the browns got off us will be now! When I figured at the time the pick would be a lower in the round!
    If they feel Adams or Beachum is the answer at LT by season end...Which is my #1 wish....I would love to see that. Trade down & take Mike Evans WR...Then Austin Serferian-Jenkins TE at the Top of the 2nd...I like the direction of the O. Who knows. Maybe the Steelers shock the $hit out of us all and go out & get a 2nd level FA LT for insurance in '14. Maybe Levi Brown plays for peanuts & he is that insurance. I just hope things slow down for Adams because that would be the best scenario. Really help the Steelers reload quickly if they could maneuver in the 1st & get a pick or two. Concentrate on #1 WR (Sanders Leaves) & TE early (Miller getting older).
    1st (T-D) Kelvin Benjamin WR
    2nd Bradley Roby CB
    3a Kareem Martin DE
    3b C.J. Fiedorowicz TE
    4th Christian Jones LB
    5a Dri Archer RB
    5b Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
    6a Beau Allen NT
    6b Shaquille Richardson CB
    7th John Brown WR

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If they feel Adams or Beachum is the answer at LT by season end...Which is my #1 wish....I would love to see that. Trade down & take Mike Evans WR...Then Austin Serferian-Jenkins TE at the Top of the 2nd...I like the direction of the O. Who knows. Maybe the Steelers shock the $hit out of us all and go out & get a 2nd level FA LT for insurance in '14. Maybe Levi Brown plays for peanuts & he is that insurance. I just hope things slow down for Adams because that would be the best scenario. Really help the Steelers reload quickly if they could maneuver in the 1st & get a pick or two. Concentrate on #1 WR (Sanders Leaves) & TE early (Miller getting older).
    yep I like this idea! Tools for a older slower Ben is needed.

  9. #39
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,348
    The #1 thing I see when I watch & rewatch the games is NOBODY is concerned with what we have outside our OTs. Play the run & blitz the down & distance. Our OL play has to get much better but we need a "presence" or two in the skill department.
    1st (T-D) Kelvin Benjamin WR
    2nd Bradley Roby CB
    3a Kareem Martin DE
    3b C.J. Fiedorowicz TE
    4th Christian Jones LB
    5a Dri Archer RB
    5b Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
    6a Beau Allen NT
    6b Shaquille Richardson CB
    7th John Brown WR

  10. #40
    Backup Rara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    373
    Taylor Lewan anyone?
    Rara's 2014 NFL Mock Draft
    Round 1. Darqueze Dennard, CB; Michigan State
    Round 2. Stephon Tuitt, DE; Notre Dame
    Round 3a. TRADED
    Round 3b. Donte Moncrief, WR; Ole Miss
    Round 4. C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE; Iowa
    Round 5a. Ryan Carrethers, DT; Arkansas State
    Round 5b. Ryan Groy, OG; Wisconsin
    Round 6a. E.J. Gaines, CB; Missouri
    Round 6b. Trevor Reilly, OLB; Utah
    Round 7. Anthony Fera, K; Texas

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •