Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 games into the season and it's time to talk draft

Starter

User Info Menu

Has to be a LT in the first round unless the lightbulb suddenly goes on for someone. The pre draft process will definitely be interesting to watch for the LT position with late risers. Kouandjio and Matthews are 1 and 2 in my mind right now. Ultimately it just comes down to what teams pick before the Steelers
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The thing with the bloodline thing, is how much it says about a kids preparedness for NFL fame and fortune. With Matthews, you pretty much know how he will react. With Kouanjdio, who ever knows how it will affect a poor African kid. I'm not talking racial either; I'm talking any son of a famous football father--you got a distinct advantage, not only conditioning but also the social structure and rearing. The ceiling may be higher with Kouanjdio, but the floor is also higher with Matthews. He is about as low-risk (given the only other factor, injury... He is a MATTHEWS after all) as a prospect can get.

Legend

User Info Menu

i think the most ready is hopefully what they look for if they think they could make another run.

as far as the run blocking. im so f'in tired of hearing that. its easier to teach techniques for run blocking then to teach someone how to stop a speed rusher from getting to the qb

name me 1 steeler OL over the years who wasnt considered better at run blocking then pass pro.
    who ever is better at pass pro better be the pick

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    i think the most ready is hopefully what they look for if they think they could make another run.

as far as the run blocking. im so f'in tired of hearing that. its easier to teach techniques for run blocking then to teach someone how to stop a speed rusher from getting to the qb

name me 1 steeler OL over the years who wasnt considered better at run blocking then pass pro.
    $$$$$$$$$$
    We need to get an elite pass-blocker at LT.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post

I'll jump to football..Not at Matthews & Kouandjio first. It all starts with the run blocking. That is why you heard "a better run blocker then pass pro" over the years. There isn't anywhere on the field you could hide an OL that can't run block except the bench. "Techniques" can be taught but you have to have good feet, body control, understand leverage, and the ability to get out in space & hit a moving target. You can't be a waist bender...You have to bend at the knees. You won't see ANY team getting a guy on the field because he is a great pass blocker but can't block worth $hit in the run game. I'm sure some of the people in here who played ball heard this saying before...You have to learn to block going forward before backward. Run blocking is where an OL starts his trade. On top of that...You can't just "teach" someone to stop a speed rusher from getting to the QB...You have to have the "tools". So ever failure at LT is on the OL coach because he can't teach it or the OL because he is stupid & can't get it? Really?

Now back to Matthews & Kouandjio. Both are ready for the field. Kouandjio is not a project. Matthews is a good football player. I have no problem with him. I think Kouandjio will be the better pro. As a Steeler fan, I think Kouandjio fits better. If I was a team who operated out of the shotgun & fair weather...I would covet Matthews. Being this is Steeler Country & Steeler Football...I would take Kouandjio. Both are equally talented LTs imo. Best words to describe why my preference...Matthews is a competitor...Kouandjio is a finisher. The Steelers need a finisher.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think all you LT guys are going to be crying in the first round this year. If all the QB's can keep the hype rolling after the combine. IF the steelers end up with a top 10 pick I can see a trade down and take a WR, CB, NT. A trade down and 2015 pick. Would be nice.

Also I will be saying this till and after the draft. Kind of pissed how nice that 3rd pick the browns got off us will be now! When I figured at the time the pick would be a lower in the round!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I think all you LT guys are going to be crying in the first round this year. If all the QB's can keep the hype rolling after the combine. IF the steelers end up with a top 10 pick I can see a trade down and take a WR, CB, NT. A trade down and 2015 pick. Would be nice.

Also I will be saying this till and after the draft. Kind of pissed how nice that 3rd pick the browns got off us will be now! When I figured at the time the pick would be a lower in the round!
    If they feel Adams or Beachum is the answer at LT by season end...Which is my #1 wish....I would love to see that. Trade down & take Mike Evans WR...Then Austin Serferian-Jenkins TE at the Top of the 2nd...I like the direction of the O. Who knows. Maybe the Steelers shock the $hit out of us all and go out & get a 2nd level FA LT for insurance in '14. Maybe Levi Brown plays for peanuts & he is that insurance. I just hope things slow down for Adams because that would be the best scenario. Really help the Steelers reload quickly if they could maneuver in the 1st & get a pick or two. Concentrate on #1 WR (Sanders Leaves) & TE early (Miller getting older).

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If they feel Adams or Beachum is the answer at LT by season end...Which is my #1 wish....I would love to see that. Trade down & take Mike Evans WR...Then Austin Serferian-Jenkins TE at the Top of the 2nd...I like the direction of the O. Who knows. Maybe the Steelers shock the $hit out of us all and go out & get a 2nd level FA LT for insurance in '14. Maybe Levi Brown plays for peanuts & he is that insurance. I just hope things slow down for Adams because that would be the best scenario. Really help the Steelers reload quickly if they could maneuver in the 1st & get a pick or two. Concentrate on #1 WR (Sanders Leaves) & TE early (Miller getting older).
    yep I like this idea! Tools for a older slower Ben is needed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The #1 thing I see when I watch & rewatch the games is NOBODY is concerned with what we have outside our OTs. Play the run & blitz the down & distance. Our OL play has to get much better but we need a "presence" or two in the skill department.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Taylor Lewan anyone?
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa