Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 games into the season and it's time to talk draft

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like your list Shawn

Like most, I'm a fan of Matthews. Any one from that bloodline (Bruce or Clay), you gotta figure to be able to plug in for another 200 games (like his dad. Clay Jr. BTW, must be on juice. How does a Matthews get hurt otherwise?)

I also wouldn't be averse to taking a QB, if one really strikes OUR fancy. I DO NOT, repeat DO NOT want them to pick one though, if they don't LOVE the pick. (I think teams force the issue too much with QBs, picking them due to infatuation more than "true love" if you know what I mean. :P

I have to take issue with Nix also. He was on my radar last year as well (just cause I noticed his awesome "fire hydrant" stature). HOWEVER... I was very troubled to watch Bama trampled through the MIDDLE of that defense like swiss cheese. I wonder of his role in that (I wonder if Barrett Jones/Chance Warmack handed him his @ss).

In the end, I still think we finish somewhere in the 11-13 range, pretty much eliminating us from the Matthews sweepstakes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Matthews will be gone by the time the Steelers pick. He isn't the best LT prospect in this draft either.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hey, we could go 3 - 1 in the 2nd quarter of the season. Oh, wait. Who do we play? Not gonna happen, I guess.

Legend

User Info Menu

we have two 1st rd DEs on the line already. is a top 10 pick really necessary? will he take years to crack the line up as well?

no thanks.
    look at the good noses in the league. there are plenty that get drafted later on

pick has to be LT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    This was the year to get the help for Heath in the form of Tyler Eifert but we got a benched OLB. Yeah for us!
    Eifert is averaging 3 catches for 36 yards per game. In Haley's offense, tht would translate to much less production. One of his biggest plays came on a blown coverage by one of Foote's replacements.

Just like Troy "Bustamalu" had a rough rookie season, I think Jones will be fine.

I think Eifer will be fine as a receiving TE as well, but my point is not to judge a rookie based on their first 7-8 games.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If the Steelers are Top 10...It will be a LT. The only way I see it not being a LT is if Adams or Beachum really shine down the stretch. I do not believe they will go into next season with a question mark at LT. I'm hoping that happens with the investments made. If they end up in the Top 10 & they don't have to spend a pick at LT...They could really stack the offense and make another run. If the season unfolds to 6-10 and there is still uncertainty at LT...That will be the pick.

My #1 LT is Cyrus Kouandjio. He is a better run blocker than Mathews & Lewan by far and I think his feet are elite. Might not be as polished as Mathews in Pass-Pro but clearly the better NFL prospect imo. The board is all over right now with the college season Pre-Bowl. So if the Steelers are sitting at, let's say #8 & LT still has questions:
    1st - Cyrus Kouandjio LT
    2nd - Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE (He will be the guy that falls because of his 40 time & 2013 production. He won't fit the "new era TE" but he is a Steelers TE.)
    3rd - Big WR (Hard to put a name here right now. Sanders leaves via FA. I expect Allen Robinson, Brandon Coleman, or Donte Moncrief to slide...I'll take any of them.)

Not knowing how the Steelers feel about Spence's progress or Vince Williams growth by seasons end...I didn't put an ILB in the first three rounds.

If by some chance the Steelers are happy with Beachum or Adams development by seasons end (Which Would be a huge PLUS) and I would change to:
    1st - Mike Evans WR
    2nd - Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE
    3rd - Justin Gilbert CB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If the Steelers are Top 10...It will be a LT. The only way I see it not being a LT is if Adams or Beachum really shine down the stretch. I do not believe they will go into next season with a question mark at LT. I'm hoping that happens with the investments made. If they end up in the Top 10 & they don't have to spend a pick at LT...They could really stack the offense and make another run. If the season unfolds to 6-10 and there is still uncertainty at LT...That will be the pick.

My #1 LT is Cyrus Kouandjio. He is a better run blocker than Mathews & Lewan by far and I think his feet are elite. Might not be as polished as Mathews in Pass-Pro but clearly the better NFL prospect imo. The board is all over right now with the college season Pre-Bowl. So if the Steelers are sitting at, let's say #8 & LT still has questions:
    1st - Cyrus Kouandjio LT
    2nd - Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE (He will be the guy that falls because of his 40 time & 2013 production. He won't fit the "new era TE" but he is a Steelers TE.)
    3rd - Big WR (Hard to put a name here right now. Sanders leaves via FA. I expect Allen Robinson, Brandon Coleman, or Donte Moncrief to slide...I'll take any of them.)

Not knowing how the Steelers feel about Spence's progress or Vince Williams growth by seasons end...I didn't put an ILB in the first three rounds.

If by some chance the Steelers are happy with Beachum or Adams development by seasons end (Which Would be a huge PLUS) and I would change to:
    1st - Mike Evans WR
    2nd - Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE
    3rd - Justin Gilbert CB
    Not sure I would say Matthews is far away from Kouanjdio in run blocking. I agree Kouanjdio is better at it but Matthews isn't a slouch when it comes to run blocking. And let's not forget Matthews's bloodlines. That too me means a lot. And If the Steelers go LT in the top ten they need a for sure thing. Not one who has a higher upside yet has yet to reach that plateau.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Not sure I would say Matthews is far away from Kouanjdio in run blocking. I agree Kouanjdio is better at it but Matthews isn't a slouch when it comes to run blocking. And let's not forget Matthews's bloodlines. That too me means a lot. And If the Steelers go LT in the top ten they need a for sure thing. Not one who has a higher upside yet has yet to reach that plateau.
    I didn't say Matthews was a slouch at anything but he isn't Kouanjdio in the run blocking department & you could see the difference. Matthews is a dam good football player & I would welcome him. He isn't as good getting to the 2nd level & he will have some adjustment to the speed of the NFL. A lot of his blocks in the run game are positioning & understanding angles...He will find out quickly he will need to add brute force to that arsenal. Bloodlines...Means something but not A sure thing. See "Long"...Let me know when "Bloodlines" make him into something for the Steelers. There is no sure thing...Examples Galore! I don't think anyone who has any credibility should use the words "Sure Thing" when talking about a pick if you understand the process. You know that Dub...You got a good head on your shoulders. There isn't a lot separating the Top 3 where they are right now...But I believe the ceiling is highest on Kouanjdio. All three skill wise could step on the field but we know how that story goes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Kouanjdio has the most talent of any tackle in this draft. Matthews is the most game ready.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think you will see Cam Erving battling Mathews for the first OT picked. He has a huge upside much like the USC kid who now plays for Dallas.