Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: It won't happen, but I'd trade...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Ernie...this is the worst offensive line in football. It has never been this bad. And unlike years past, when they didn't have a great O-lines, they had play makers.
    I agree with that...

and as long as they are paying lofty contracts with old vets like Ben, Ike, Troy, etc... they won't have an offensive line worth a darned... would rather have an "Average" quarterback with a good offensive line than Ben with the worst line in the league.

In a perfect world we could have Ben with a Houston Texans type of OL... not gonna happen though with this team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I don't know man... I just think his poor decision making is being magnified more as he gets older. The offensive line has always been suspect. I think the years of abuse is finally starting to wear on him..

I think its bad OL, bad running game early on and a new philosophy on offense... oh, and turnover with vets, cap space and Ben playing the worst ball of his career.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Can we trade Haley for a case of beer?
    For a case, it would have to be low-quality beer, even up. How about a 6-pack of mediocre beer, or one bottle of New Castle Brown past its' freshness date.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think its bad OL, bad running game early on and a new philosophy on offense... oh, and turnover with vets, cap space and Ben playing the worst ball of his career.
    That pretty much sums it up right there...looking at the big picture

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    For a case, it would have to be low-quality beer, even up. How about a 6-pack of mediocre beer, or one bottle of New Castle Brown past its' freshness date.
    Or a bag of stale peanuts

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Can we trade Haley for a case of beer?
    Maybe Natty Ice, but that's the best we can get.. and it'd probably be a 4 pack.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Next year won't be a dramatic improvement because the Steelers are fighting against 5 - 6 years of bad to downright horrible drafting. Too many 2nd tier players are starters or projects that never fully developed. One, possible 2 drafts can be recovered from but not year after year after year. Both O and D lines are filled with guys who were drafted 2 high or they have undrafted guys there.

I know the Steelers have never been big on bringing in too much outside help (with a few big exceptions) but it may be time to adjust the business model. Also, there's hope this year's draft reverses the trend and there are 3 if not 4 real players coming out of it (Bell, Jones, Thomas - never see Wheaton so tough to say).
    Thank you for pointing out the advantages of having a bad team.... your rookies get on the field sooner. Isn't it curious that in the last few years more rookies are seeing the field?

BTW, not a fan of jettisoning every "old" vet. You end up with a team like Cinci or Cleveland was for years, changing pieces but never putting together a fine tuned engine. What have we fans been complaining about? a lack of team leadership... and you don't get that with a rookie or even a 2nd year guy. You get it with time and "been there, seen that". Finding a good balance is very probably the toughest job a coach and GM have, remove the wrong part and it all falls apart.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Thank you for pointing out the advantages of having a bad team.... your rookies get on the field sooner. Isn't it curious that in the last few years more rookies are seeing the field?

BTW, not a fan of jettisoning every "old" vet. You end up with a team like Cinci or Cleveland was for years, changing pieces but never putting together a fine tuned engine. What have we fans been complaining about? a lack of team leadership... and you don't get that with a rookie or even a 2nd year guy. You get it with time and "been there, seen that". Finding a good balance is very probably the toughest job a coach and GM have, remove the wrong part and it all falls apart.
    Also have to be a little concerned with the vets we have as leaders. Maybe they aren't real leaders either and it justifies blowing things up to fix them. In retrospect, it looks like this team lost its heart when Hines and Potsie left. I've personally thought for years Tomlin's fatal flaw is he keep bringing in high character choir boys to play a violent game. And we desperately need a little crazy on the roster.