Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: We did Bruce wrong and we need him back

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Sorry, not buying what you're selling.

Look a little closer. AZ is 0.427 against teams with a winning record. They beat up on the weaklings of the league, going 7-1. They are 2-3 in their division. In the AFC North, that won't get you into the playoffs.

Scoring offense? ... AZ is right where Arians had PIT for years, bottom half of the league.

No thanks.

Better candidate?.. Panthers HC.
    And, here in Charlotte, the locals were out with their torches and pitchforks calling for his head this time last year after a season that started 1 - 7 and finished 7 - 9 with wins over the dregs of the league in the second half of the season. New OC (David Shula for Rob Chudzinski, who somehow got hired as HC in Cleveland... gotta love Stains' management) and DC (Sean McDermott fleeing the fallout of the collapse of Andy Reid in Philly) and the whole thing turned around.

To me, it's the nature of the business - one minute you're the toast of the league, the next you're fighting for your job. The talent level in today's NFL is just so evenly matched, and the cap so punitive, that one or two injuries can just kill you. Fans will never, ever, ever be patient in this era of Sportscenter 24/7, but ownership that is willing to ride out the highs and lows helps.

Look at those Panthers - they kept David Shula on to continue working with Cam Newton... and he has blossomed this year in terms of confidence, with 5 4th quarter comebacks. I think the Ben/ Haley relationship is showing all the signs of similarly blossoming, with a bright next year coming... with the difference that now Ben isn't getting hit all the time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    And, here in Charlotte, the locals were out with their torches and pitchforks calling for his head this time last year after a season that started 1 - 7 and finished 7 - 9 with wins over the dregs of the league in the second half of the season. New OC (David Shula for Rob Chudzinski, who somehow got hired as HC in Cleveland... gotta love Stains' management) and DC (Sean McDermott fleeing the fallout of the collapse of Andy Reid in Philly) and the whole thing turned around.

To me, it's the nature of the business - one minute you're the toast of the league, the next you're fighting for your job. The talent level in today's NFL is just so evenly matched, and the cap so punitive, that one or two injuries can just kill you. Fans will never, ever, ever be patient in this era of Sportscenter 24/7, but ownership that is willing to ride out the highs and lows helps.

Look at those Panthers - they kept David Shula on to continue working with Cam Newton... and he has blossomed this year in terms of confidence, with 5 4th quarter comebacks. I think the Ben/ Haley relationship is showing all the signs of similarly blossoming, with a bright next year coming... with the difference that now Ben isn't getting hit all the time.
    Not sure why fans wanted Ron and Cam run out of town. They were 2-14 in games decided by less than 7 points. It was pretty clear they were real close to getting over the hump.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think bringing on Ken Dorsey as full-time QB coach has helped there. He's helped numerous players, including Newton himself, hone their skills during pre-draft workout sessions.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Oh well, I guess I'm the only one on the Planet that thinks our offense is looking pretty good lately, and would keep Haley to keep it on the same upward trajectory.

OUCH!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I find it so funny how many fans seem to always put a teams success or lack of it on the coaches. Sorry, this current Steelers team just inst very good. And changing it's offensive coordinator inst going to do a whole lot when it lacks the players to be successful.

Bill Walsh was considered a football genius. As good an offensive mind as there was. One of the greatest head coaches ever. Yet, when he went back to Stanford (after winning 4 Super Bowls), he was 17-17-1. Why? Because he just didn't have the players to be successful.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

...and my suggestion would be to get better players before we start talking about getting other coaches.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I find it so funny how many fans seem to always put a teams success or lack of it on the coaches. Sorry, this current Steelers team just inst very good. And changing it's offensive coordinator inst going to do a whole lot when it lacks the players to be successful.

Bill Walsh was considered a football genius. As good an offensive mind as there was. One of the greatest head coaches ever. Yet, when he went back to Stanford (after winning 4 Super Bowls), he was 17-17-1. Why? Because he just didn't have the players to be successful.
    but, it's a combination... Cowher's last 2 teams won the super bowl, then missed the playoffs... pretty much same players. the next year, they won the super bowl. both matter..

Defensively, this team could use a lotta help - personally, I'd start right up the middle. Big Casey's presense required a double-team. We need a new one. That frees up LBs to make plays. Obviously, the secondary has aged and CB, and FS are on the short list...

Offensively, line help is needed, but, surprisingly improving... In addition to line, I'd like to see another WR and a real 3rd down back....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    I propose we somehow convince the mayor of Pittsburgh to have the village clockmaker build a gigantic clock in market square. Somehow, find out the Cardinals travel plans to Houston and reroute the plane so that it flies over Pittsburgh at precisely midnight. As the plane passes over the clock, it plays a song that offers the Rooney's sincerest apologies, and entices Mr. Arians to forgive us all and return to Pittsburgh as our offensive coordinator.
    OK, one massive problem: Why would BA take a backwards step in is career and want to be an OC instead of a HC - and he is doing a great job as HC once again? I still maintain I didn't like him as our OC, but as a head coach, he is proving to be quite good. AZ was a bad team after they lost Kurt Warner, but BA has them winning again. Beating Seattle in Seattle was a masterful job. No one has beat them there in 2 years, but BA pulled it off. Impressive.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Remember the "If Arians was any good he would be a HC by now" crowd? LOL....
    I was one of those guys and I did point to that repeatedly. Having said that, a couple of thoughts. Arians was brought to Indy to develop Luck. he certainly had a track record there and some previous success - so that was probably a good move by the colts. he became an interim HC due to illness and did a nice job with AL and using the emotion of that team (something to fight for) to produce a good season. And who came calling? one of the most dysfunctional organizations in the league. The bidwells are most likely the worst owners in the league. So, while getting a HC job in arizona certainly refutes one of my main arguments about BA over the years - I'm not really going to back down that he is highly sought after for that position around the league.

As for his tenure here in Pit, I still think it was the right move for him to go and I have been very patient to give haley the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do. I always thought BA and Ben were too chummy - ben needed to grow up and take charge of the team and I thought BA was always 'enabling' him. and while it was easy to blame ben's style of play for the abuse he was taking - something had to change or his career was coming to a quick end. since keeping BA wasn't going to produce that change - he had to go. say what you want about haley - and he certainly seems to have some negatives (particularly outside of football), but he's got ben releasing the ball quickly and if we can just keep a stable O-line and combine that with Bell maturing, this could be a pretty darn good offense. Ben's sacks are down and he's going to finish this season having played in every game. when was the last time we said that?

so, yes I was wrong because BA is now a HC. But I don't think i was THAT wrong. this has been a change for the better.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!