Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clock Management and Play calling

Starter

User Info Menu

Ben and Haley need to be more aware of the situation and do a better job managing the clock. This means that Haley needs to stop the multiple substituting of players during a 2 min drill or hurry up offense. It also means that Ben needs to keep his mouth shut and stop arguing calls with the refs when there is little time to get down the field. He must of wasted at lease a minute in the second to last drive before getting everyone back lined up.
    [URL]http://imgcash5.imageshack.us/img356/1595/smuj2.jpg[/URL]
    ~Props to AS, my sig Consigliere~

"Even the strongest man needs friends.... Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
    ~ Don Lucchesi to Vincent

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Mafia View Post
    Ben and Haley need to be more aware of the situation and do a better job managing the clock. This means that Haley needs to stop the multiple substituting of players during a 2 min drill or hurry up offense. It also means that Ben needs to keep his mouth shut and stop arguing calls with the refs when there is little time to get down the field. He must of wasted at lease a minute in the second to last drive before getting everyone back lined up.

It's what bad teams do. Argue with the refs on calls and non-calls instead of focusing on great execution.

BTW, not to threadjack, but according to one analyst: "Miami is definitely not getting their money's worth from Mike Wallace"....... so maybe that is one good call from the Steelers FO in the last year....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    The first play on O the Steelers went deep and Ben had a terrible throw. Can you imagine if the Steelers had scored on their first play after the long TD run. Would have totally deflated the Raiders' momentum. Ben has to be able to hit that throw. I LOVED that play call. But then, it was as if that first call mentally exhausted Haley and he couldn't get creative the rest of the day.

There was another play where Ben got sacked - he had a wide open Will Johnson coming out of the backfield and there wasn't a Black jersey within 20 yards of him. Ben's got to see that and dump it off.
    After Ben being so far off on an easy deep throw where he had time, I can completely understand why Haley doesn't rely on Ben throwing deep passes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I don't think the Steelers miss Mike Wallace. Between Brown, Sanders, Cotch, Moye and Heath, we have more receiving talent that we did in 2005.

I think they miss competent play calling, competent clock handling and an offensive line that isn't cursed.
    In 2005, the Steelers still had Miller. A younger, faster Miller.

Ward, ARE, Wilson and Morgan vs. Brown, Sanders, Cotchery and Moye? Call it a wash. That team also had FWP averaging 4.7 YPC and Jerome Bettis.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    After Ben being so far off on an easy deep throw where he had time, I can completely understand why Haley doesn't rely on Ben throwing deep passes.
    I agree with you Flip. Haley gets a lot of heat, but the truth is, Ben has not played well this year. He's certainly under pressure but there are numerous times when he has a nice pocket and misses an open guy. Badly misses. That first O play for the Steelers against the Raiders should have been an easy pitch and catch. A lot of QB's in this league, many who don't have Ben's talent overall, would have dropped that right in.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    In 2005, the Steelers still had Miller. A younger, faster Miller.

Ward, ARE, Wilson and Morgan vs. Brown, Sanders, Cotchery and Moye? Call it a wash. That team also had FWP averaging 4.7 YPC and Jerome Bettis.
    In 2005, Oline consisted of Smith/Faneca/Hartings/Simmons/Starks

In 2013, Oline consists of (Beachum, Adams)/Foster/Velasco/Decastro/Gilbert

Say whatever you want about the rest of the talent, the real difference lies right there.