Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Still Believe in the new OL Strategy?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    You do realize that the Adams took over at LT for Beachum right? And that the "comeback" happened with Adams at Lt. How about the fact that Adams provided more solid protection than Beachum when matched up against the same guys .. or that Beachum was responsible for most of the pressure coming from the left side before he had to move to RG for DeCastro?
    Yeah, Beachum is not particularly good. He had his own issues at LT, but he really struggled at guard. I actually think that he is a bit better at OT than OG.

Adams actually look ok when he was back at tackle, at least from what I saw.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Chadman believes adams got stuck into a funk at LT & couldn't see his way out of it. Time on the bench might have helped. He's far and away the most talented OT on the roster.
    Adams was ABUSED in England but he wasn't nearly that bad in any other game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Exactly! The problem is that the OL lacks talent. I don't want to hear this nonsense that they invested high picks because it doesn't matter when those pick are ready yet and may never be ready. The FO blew it by not draft additional OL in this past draft and now we are paying for it. They blew it when they released Urbik too soon. They blew it when they didn't bring Starks back since they had no idea that Adams could do the job at LT. The last 3-4 years have been one bad OL decision after another.
    I ask you though, does the OL lack talent, or is it the coaching staff's failure to develop that talent?

Pouncey was a first rounder with first round talent. I believe that the general consensus on the board is that his play has regressed since his rookie season. At the very least, I don't think that anybody believes that he improved.

Gilbert and Adams were high picks that certainly have not developed.

I can offer a pass to Decastro as he missed pretty much a full year, making him a rook of sorts this year.

Urbik was a high pick who showed nothing as a Steeler, but has gone on to be a reliable starter in Buffalo.

Later round picks like Kemo and Colon won starting jobs, but you never saw the steady improvement of well coached players, instead any success that they had seemed to come from their nasty attitudes.

Max Starks was probably our steadiest and best Olineman during his tenure, and it seemed that the coaching staff did everything in its power to get him out.

Probably the greatest coaching success that this OL has had in recent memory is Ramon Foster. He was brought in, undrafted, and is, at best, an average NFL lineman on his best days.

This coaching staff has not "coached up" one quality OL in so long that I can't remember the last one.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Adams was ABUSED in England but he wasn't nearly that bad in any other game.
    That's what I'm talking about. He was a horror show vs. Cincinnati... and he was very bad vs. Chicago too. (I can't recall for Tennessee, but I know the o-line struggled.) Watch the tape.

steeler_fan_in_t.o. makes a good point though. I personally, would put the blame on the drafting of such turds like Gilbert and Adams. But you make some good points, which I think change my mind to a degree. Nobody besides Foster can be said to have improved on our o-line in the last few years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I ask you though, does the OL lack talent, or is it the coaching staff's failure to develop that talent?

Pouncey was a first rounder with first round talent. I believe that the general consensus on the board is that his play has regressed since his rookie season. At the very least, I don't think that anybody believes that he improved.

I can offer a pass to Decastro as he missed pretty much a full year, making him a rook of sorts this year.

Urbik was a high pick who showed nothing as a Steeler, but has gone on to be a reliable starter in Buffalo.

Later round picks like Kemo and Colon won starting jobs, but you never saw the steady improvement of well coached players, instead any success that they had seemed to come from their nasty attitudes.

Max Starks was probably our steadiest and best Olineman during his tenure, and it seemed that the coaching staff did everything in its power to get him out.

Probably the greatest coaching success that this OL has had in recent memory is Ramon Foster. He was brought in, undrafted, and is, at best, an average NFL lineman on his best days.

This coaching staff has not "coached up" one quality OL in so long that I can't remember the last one.
    I think it is a combination of a lack of talent and the lack of development. Where you are drafted is meaningless after the draft because there are tons of 1st Round and 2nd Round picks who never make it. It is what you do once you are in the league.

I haven't given up on Gilbert or Adams but I think they are a year or two away from being starter ready. I do question whether the change to a new blocking scheme and then bailing on that has the OL totally screwed up.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think it is a combination of a lack of talent and the lack of development. Where you are drafted is meaningless after the draft because there are tons of 1st Round and 2nd Round picks who never make it. It is what you do once you are in the league.

I haven't given up on Gilbert or Adams but I think they are a year or two away from being starter ready. I do question whether the change to a new blocking scheme and then bailing on that has the OL totally screwed up.
    That being said, do the Steelers again draft OL early to find their starting tackles? Seems based on this comment, it would be a wasted pick.

Go back to the old way... draft skill positions high and let the cards fall as they may for all others.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pouncey didn't regress... he was an upgrade at his position so he looked great. However, the rest of the OL has been a disaster. How much better is Pouncey supposed to get when the rest of the OL sucks?

I remember hearing DD being the answer to our OL woes... he goes down early and honestly, he isn't that great. Good.. but nowhere as good as advertised on here.

I'm not a fan of drafting an LT high because our coaches would screw it up and have him flip flopping, learning OG, C, etc...

I'm with North, draft skill and work with the guys we have and maybe pick up a decent guy in later rounds.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Pouncey didn't regress... he was an upgrade at his position so he looked great. However, the rest of the OL has been a disaster. How much better is Pouncey supposed to get when the rest of the OL sucks?

I remember hearing DD being the answer to our OL woes... he goes down early and honestly, he isn't that great. Good.. but nowhere as good as advertised on here.

I'm not a fan of drafting an LT high because our coaches would screw it up and have him flip flopping, learning OG, C, etc...

I'm with North, draft skill and work with the guys we have and maybe pick up a decent guy in later rounds.
    Seems like most people want a better o-line to keep Ben clean but the problem is.... Ben will make ANY offensive line in the league look worse than what they are!
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Seems like most people want a better o-line to keep Ben clean but the problem is.... Ben will make ANY offensive line in the league look worse than what they are!
    true... but Ben won't be here forever... I'm just scared we will pick the LT who ends up on IR after getting off the plane and drinking the western PA water

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

I think it's a combination of the QB and the play calling. Give this exact line to NO and they'd be perfectly fine with Brees/Payton. You'd see 3 step drops and quick releases.

Think about what Haley did to them in the 2nd half. We were running a jumbo package with Cotchery as the lone WR. That's asking the D to stack 11 guys in the box. WTF was he thinking? And then we've gotta QB that would hold the ball forever if he could. This line is in an impossible position.

Another suggestion would be to send Ben to an Arena team during the offseason so he can work on making faster reads/decisions.