Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Fire Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    It's not all about the players. Yes, there are some players who ought to be replaced. But the coaching staff plainly isn't doing what they ought to do to prepare or help the players.

For instance, the defense obviously didn't begin the game ready to defend Oakland's read-option attack. Now they made adjustments, and shut it down in the second half...but why didn't they BEGIN the game playing that way? Exactly what were LeBeau and Tomlin working on the week before the game?

And I don't even want to start on Haley's red-zone play-calling and our clock management issues...
    The players didn't execute their assignments. Woodley was responsible for back side contain on the Pryor TD. Woodley decided to crashed down the line hard attempting to be a hero. As a result, Pryor ran down the area that Woodley vacated.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    It's not all about the players. Yes, there are some players who ought to be replaced. But the coaching staff plainly isn't doing what they ought to do to prepare or help the players.

For instance, the defense obviously didn't begin the game ready to defend Oakland's read-option attack. Now they made adjustments, and shut it down in the second half...but why didn't they BEGIN the game playing that way? Exactly what were LeBeau and Tomlin working on the week before the game?

And I don't even want to start on Haley's red-zone play-calling and our clock management issues...
    Agreed...so many other coaches wouldn't have run that sorry set of play calling I witnessed this pass Sunday.....
    Defense had no clue on what to expect...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    And having said that, believe me, I agree with you--it's all about the players. If we were able to draft a Joe Greene-type wrecker onto our front 7, we'd suddenly start to look real good. We replace our LT with Joe Thomas, and watch our offense shine.
    I doubt it. Even Joe Thomas can't hold his block for 7 seconds.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Let's fire everyone. Is there anyone we can all agree on keeping? Heath? That's about it. The coaches all suck. The players all suck. Let's trade em all and get a couple 100 draft picks. And then let's just draft everyone.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Let's fire everyone. Is there anyone we can all agree on keeping? Heath? That's about it.
    why you playing that card flippy? Self hate isn't healthy.. .

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    why you playing that card flippy? Self hate isn't healthy.. .
    It's just board logic felt. Nothing more. I'm still on the 11-5 bandwagon. Im pretty sure I'm the only knucklehead left

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Woodley was responsible for the outside...No doubt about it. He lost his discipline on a read. But I will give you some insight from a football guy. Keep in mind that they spend a lot of time in the film room and they pick up tendencies. Good coaches use the "tendencies" for game planning but "shown" tendencies are also used as a counter to the game plan of an opponent. Both teams watch the films. Steelers saw something in the play...Raiders saw something in the film on the D on their keys. Didn't take the Raiders long to show what they saw. However, they showed it and it didn't happen again. An example...The Wildcat you see Haley running is to put it on film. Make other teams game plan for it. Take up more time in prep. But is also to make them plan for it and then give them something they didn't see....It is always a coaching chess match. There was a specific reason that page was first shown against the Ravens. They play them again and it is on tape.

Back to the play. So what did all of you see? Just a blunder and a big play by the Raiders? That's what most saw. What did I see? Proof that someone on the Raiders did their homework and proof the Steelers defenders watched allot of tape. How? The Raiders motioned away from strength of formation and pulled the backside G to strength (PA side). This is called an "influence". Every single player in the front 7 keyed the pulling G because the FB motioned away from strength. Rule of pulling OL...Backside-Inside...Meaning the play is going somewhere inside the TE. Whole DL flowed to strength. Woodley crashed...ILBs step up in hole...Worilds pinches down...Gay crashed and so does Clark. Clark over ran the play to the hole and Pryor ran by him & he didn't even see him. It was a well designed & executed play. The Steelers were so sure of what they saw and took themselves out of the play...That the FB Reece didn't have an ILB to block on the play. He was coming down backside to clean up...Nobody there. Very Gutsy call...Good design. It was either a big play or a disaster given field position. They showed it once...Didn't happen again.

This wasn't a play where I would be critical on any coaches or players. This was an example of football 101 with a high risk & high reward. Raiders took advantage of what the saw on film and field position. Great call by them...Because it worked. With Pryor standing at the 2...I'm sure every Steeler defender on that field & every coach on the sideline thought there is Zero chance Pryor risks keeping the option....And the Raiders used that. I would bet it was a predetermined call. They made the adjustment after that TD. Woodley doesn't key the PA towards TE & the pulling G & closes on the QB...Pryor tried to keep it and nothing. I would be critical of the rest of the 1st half. McFadden had some success taking the option & direct snaps. That was on film and I didn't like that preparation. There wasn't any surprise there. They made adjustments & got that corrected. I was VERY disappointed in J Jones and I'm sure the staff was too. He clearly wasn't doing what they asked him too. His #1 job was making sure Pryor didn't break the pocket when he went back to pass & he did not do his job. To be honest, I called him selfish during the game because he looked like he was only concerned with logging a sack instead of doing his job. When Worilds came in and he set the pocket and made Pryor step up...Good things happened & the Steelers got off the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Woodley was responsible for the outside...No doubt about it. He lost his discipline on a read. But I will give you some insight from a football guy. Keep in mind that they spend a lot of time in the film room and they pick up tendencies. Good coaches use the "tendencies" for game planning but "shown" tendencies are also used as a counter to the game plan of an opponent. Both teams watch the films. Steelers saw something in the play...Raiders saw something in the film on the D on their keys. Didn't take the Raiders long to show what they saw. However, they showed it and it didn't happen again. An example...The Wildcat you see Haley running is to put it on film. Make other teams game plan for it. Take up more time in prep. But is also to make them plan for it and then give them something they didn't see....It is always a coaching chess match. There was a specific reason that page was first shown against the Ravens. They play them again and it is on tape.

Back to the play. So what did all of you see? Just a blunder and a big play by the Raiders? That's what most saw. What did I see? Proof that someone on the Raiders did their homework and proof the Steelers defenders watched allot of tape. How? The Raiders motioned away from strength of formation and pulled the backside G to strength (PA side). This is called an "influence". Every single player in the front 7 keyed the pulling G because the FB motioned away from strength. Rule of pulling OL...Backside-Inside...Meaning the play is going somewhere inside the TE. Whole DL flowed to strength. Woodley crashed...ILBs step up in hole...Worilds pinches down...Gay crashed and so does Clark. Clark over ran the play to the hole and Pryor ran by him & he didn't even see him. It was a well designed & executed play. The Steelers were so sure of what they saw and took themselves out of the play...That the FB Reece didn't have an ILB to block on the play. He was coming down backside to clean up...Nobody there. Very Gutsy call...Good design. It was either a big play or a disaster given field position. They showed it once...Didn't happen again.

This wasn't a play where I would be critical on any coaches or players. This was an example of football 101 with a high risk & high reward. Raiders took advantage of what the saw on film and field position. Great call by them...Because it worked. With Pryor standing at the 2...I'm sure every Steeler defender on that field & every coach on the sideline thought there is Zero chance Pryor risks keeping the option....And the Raiders used that. I would bet it was a predetermined call. They made the adjustment after that TD. Woodley doesn't key the PA towards TE & the pulling G & closes on the QB...Pryor tried to keep it and nothing. I would be critical of the rest of the 1st half. McFadden had some success taking the option & direct snaps. That was on film and I didn't like that preparation. There wasn't any surprise there. They made adjustments & got that corrected. I was VERY disappointed in J Jones and I'm sure the staff was too. He clearly wasn't doing what they asked him too. His #1 job was making sure Pryor didn't break the pocket when he went back to pass & he did not do his job. To be honest, I called him selfish during the game because he looked like he was only concerned with logging a sack instead of doing his job. When Worilds came in and he set the pocket and made Pryor step up...Good things happened & the Steelers got off the field.

I still don't see why Woodley wouldn't hold his lane just in case. You've got 5 other guys to make the tackle if the play goes left. I have a hard time buying Woodley didn't make a mistake on that play. He shoulda been in the hole where Pryor ran. And Pryor woulda likely ran by him, but he woulda slowed him down enough for someone else to come over and make the tackle within 10 yards of the LOS.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I still don't see why Woodley wouldn't hold his lane just in case. You've got 5 other guys to make the tackle if the play goes left. I have a hard time buying Woodley didn't make a mistake on that play. He shoulda been in the hole where Pryor ran. And Pryor woulda likely ran by him, but he woulda slowed him down enough for someone else to come over and make the tackle within 10 yards of the LOS.
    I did say Woodley made a mistake.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I did say Woodley made a mistake.
    Cool, we agree.