Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or ...

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Is it me or ...

Is Ben and Haley not working on things on the sideline when the defense is on the field. If I'm not mistaken we see it constantly when Brady, both Mannings , Brees etc. working with somebody looking over previous defensive alignments etc., but i don't remember seeing Ben and Haley doing this. If it is happening, is it lack of respect for Ben by the media who don't seem to have any respect for a Qb that has gone to 3 SB and won 2 of them. Redskins had the Broncos down 21-7 and then the Broncos score 34 unaswered points, WHY can't we do that? They are running the same type plays we are running, but seem a bit more organized.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bowldog View Post
    Is Ben and Haley not working on things on the sideline when the defense is on the field. If I'm not mistaken we see it constantly when Brady, both Mannings , Brees etc. working with somebody looking over previous defensive alignments etc., but i don't remember seeing Ben and Haley doing this. If it is happening, is it lack of respect for Ben by the media who don't seem to have any respect for a Qb that has gone to 3 SB and won 2 of them. Redskins had the Broncos down 21-7 and then the Broncos score 34 unaswered points, WHY can't we do that? They are running the same type plays we are running, but seem a bit more organized.
    This is a non-issue and not a fair comparison. Those other QB's you mention all have full control of their offenses. Ben has never been given full control of his offense. Those QB's all have offenses built around them and their strengths. Ben has never had that.

The answer to your question lies in the idea that some in the Steelers organization had the idea that Todd Haley needed to be brought in as the offensive coordinator to reel Ben in some.

Now...would that have ever happened to those other QB's?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

The board, city and FO ran BA out of town... this is what we get for handcuffing Ben

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

It doesn't take rocket science to realize that Ben and Haley are not on the same page, to put it politely.
    This team isn't going anywhere as long as Haley is here. Not this year, not in 2014.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe it's just me but I'm bothered by the fact that Ben doesn't at least appear to try that hard to work with Haley. Ben has earned a little over $70 Million on his deal so far with $17M more coming next season. And if they extend him then he'll be paid out in excess of $100 million by the Steelers ownership (Ownership that's had to deal with a helmet less motorcycle accident, and not one, but two rape allegations). I understand he's a generational talent but where is the expectation of professionalism on his part? He doesn't like everything so it's OK to sulk? He frequently looks disinterested if not down right not caring on the field this season. The fact that people even whisper the thought that he might be intentionally playing less than he is capable of to get rid of a coach is insane.

I know it's the popular thing to do - hate Haley but I personally find it hypocritical to heap criticism on him while turning a blind eye to the horrible decision making, throwing, and playing Ben has done through half a season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Töm87 View Post
    It doesn't take rocket science to realize that Ben and Haley are not on the same page, to put it politely.
    This team isn't going anywhere as long as Haley is here. Not this year, not in 2014.
    This team isn't going any where next season because of they way they draft, not because of Coach Haley.

2012 - 1 out of first 5 picks doing anything (DeCastro). 2nd rounder was a HUGE reach and why we need to be looking yet again for O-line.
    2011 - Average at best DE in round 1. 5th round corner who gets burned a lot but still growing so may be serviceable. That's it.
    2010 - Pouncey has been worth a 1. Your second round guy was a huge reach and has been beat out by a rookie this year. There was better talent to be had at 2 this draft but Steelers took a project.
    2009 - Hood in round one and a total bust. Rest of draft gone.
    2008 - Mendy was decent but never lived up to the hype. After him, the draft was one of the all time worst in Steelers history.

I'd also add that the Steelers precarious cap situation is higher on the list of 2014 major issues, also above Haley.
    Last edited by Ghost; 10-29-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

How many times this season so far has a veteran fumbled, dropped a pass, missed a blocking assignment, missed a tackle, taken the wrong angle, missed a sack, missed a field goal etc.. TOO many times imo. Last game alone 1) Woodley overuns fake handoff by QB, result -7pts, 2) Missed FG at the end of the half, result -3pts, 3) missed field goal in the 2nd half, result - 3pts. 4) Receiver drops 2 passes that would be 1st downs. Nobody is perfect but veterans are expected to at least be positively consistent. If we cut OUR mistakes in half we would be looking at 5-2 record. That being said lets turn it around and finish the season 6-1, squeek into the playoffs and shock the world with our 7th SB win.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Because Ben thinks he's better than what he is..... God forbid he study some pictures to see what defenses are doing on previous drives. That actually might allow him to throw the ball in under 7 seconds.

Who knows but I agree with the orignal post.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    This is a non-issue and not a fair comparison. Those other QB's you mention all have full control of their offenses. Ben has never been given full control of his offense. Those QB's all have offenses built around them and their strengths. Ben has never had that.

The answer to your question lies in the idea that some in the Steelers organization had the idea that Todd Haley needed to be brought in as the offensive coordinator to reel Ben in some.

Now...would that have ever happened to those other QB's?
    What does that have to do with not studying on the sidelines? It's not just the elite QBs that are studying. That's more common nowadays than not. en Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson looks at photos all the time on the sidelines and he doesn't have anywhere close to full control of his offense.

Ben flat out takes sacks when guys are running wide open. Ben throws the ball into coverage when there is better options. Those are not on the OC. Those are on Ben. He's not great at reading defenses and he's not good at going thru his progressions quickly. I find it unacceptable to be honest. If Ben looked at some photos of plays that he took sacks on ... he would see options that he missed and he would learn from it....... but no...... why would Ben ever want to do a crazy thing like that? That would actually improve his play.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I'm bothered by the fact that Ben doesn't at least appear to try that hard to work with Haley. Ben has earned a little over $70 Million on his deal so far with $17M more coming next season. And if they extend him then he'll be paid out in excess of $100 million by the Steelers ownership (Ownership that's had to deal with a helmet less motorcycle accident, and not one, but two rape allegations). I understand he's a generational talent but where is the expectation of professionalism on his part? He doesn't like everything so it's OK to sulk? He frequently looks disinterested if not down right not caring on the field this season. The fact that people even whisper the thought that he might be intentionally playing less than he is capable of to get rid of a coach is insane.

I know it's the popular thing to do - hate Haley but I personally find it hypocritical to heap criticism on him while turning a blind eye to the horrible decision making, throwing, and playing Ben has done through half a season.
    Ghost, I hear what you are saying. I find it interesting that Haley has had success at every gig he has been at except this one. Why is that?
    Trolls are people too.