Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The season is officially over.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    well in another post you listed cowhers down years in 1989, 1999 and 2003 and didnt make it to the superbowl until 2005.
    seems like those years you listed are 5 years or more, but hey, its only your own words
    Cowher was down in 89, way down. With the Chiefs I think. Noll wasn't doing any better though. Glad we hired Cowher in '92

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    I've been a fan of the Steelers since 1972,and even I realize that the 70's aren't coming back. The ground and pound went the way of the 8 track tape. Today's NFL is a QB driven passing league.
    I too have been a fan of the Steelers since 1972. And I disagree with you. I am not saying run the ball 75% of the time. A balance of 50-50 or maybe even 60-40 (run/pass). can still win in the NFL. And I believe it is the true way to counter this read/spread/hurry-up/score at will offense that is in the league now.

Sorry to hear you guys have been jaded by the media about what has to be in the NFL today.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    D>D> you are a great poster, but I thank God you aren't running this team. What you described is exactly the way not to win a championship in an NFL where passing and scoring are essentially etched into every rule change over the past 5 years.

The 70s are never coming back and that model won't win anymore.
    No one is asking to return to the 70's. The Baltimore Ravens won last year with a 55-45% split. Pass versus run. And the Giants two years ago were at 58-42% (pass versus run). The perception that the media is giving you isnt correct.

And the Packers 3 years ago? 56-44% (pass versus run).
    Last edited by Dee Dub; 10-28-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You don't trade a QB like Ben until you know for sure you have a franchise QB on the roster.

It's crazy talk... sure QB's are coming in on day one and putting up stats but what about consistency?
    How do you explain what the Colts did 2 years ago? There are 4-6 QB's in this upcoming draft that the experts believe could play from day one. And was Ben a franchise QB his second year when the Steelers won a super bowl? Or was he more of a game manager?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I see your point dub, not sure if I totally agree, but the argument is there.

look at what bama is doing. Its more about players in college with the 85 schollies, but with all the scoring and high flying offenses bama plays smashmouth and wins championships. There will always be a place for a physically imposing football.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    How do you explain what the Colts did 2 years ago? There are 4-6 QB's in this upcoming draft that the experts believe could play from day one. And was Ben a franchise QB his second year when the Steelers won a super bowl? Or was he more of a game manager?
    Our team was filled with Vets in their prime and Ben was thrust into the role due to injury.

Once you have a franchise QB you ride him into the sunset and pick up his replacement before his last stop.

Ben was on a team that had all the pieces in place.. similar to the Colts when they got Luck.

A rookie QB, bad OL, shaky D and a bunch of young picks is a recipe for 3 or 4 years of struggle.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 10-28-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Our team was filled with Vets in their prime and Ben was thrust into the role due to injury.

Once you have a franchise QB you ride him into the sunset and pick up his replacement before his last stop.

Ben was on a team that had all the pieces in place.. similar to the Colts when they got Luck.

A rookie QB, bad OL, shaky D and a bunch of young picks is a recipe for 3 or 4 years of struggle.
    Wrong!!

The Colts were coming off a 2-14 season when they drafted Luck. Far from having everything in place. But nice try Spin Doctor.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wrong!!

The Colts were coming off a 2-14 season when they drafted Luck. Far from having everything in place. But nice try Spin Doctor.
    2-14 after 10 years of averaging 12 with Peyton and no one as a legit back up.... its much easier to replace a franchise QB with a sure shot #1 pick in Luck.

If we had one down year after 10 years of success and the #1 pick I would agree... but we have neither.

I didnt adress the Colts 2-14 season because it was a one off... we are nothing like the Colts.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 10-28-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Guys like Andrew Luck come along once a decade (if that), and their are zero guys in this draft like him and no sure things coming out. How did your boy Barkley look yesterday?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Except you would have the biggest hole at the most important position...QB. You don't win championships in this league without a high caliber QB.
    The problem with this is... he's not "High Caliber" anymore.