Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jones doesn't make the list

Legend

User Info Menu

Jones doesn't make the list

Mel Kiper's rankings of the top 35 rookies making an impact. Jarvis Jones not on the list of 35.

[URL]http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9871367/nfl-afc-east-stars-top-mel-kiper-rookie-rankings[/URL]
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Jones hasn't played up to his draft spot but that doesn't mean anything yet. Think fast...Play fast. I'll judge him when I think he "should" be there. I don't think we will see what Jones is truly capable of at this level until he starts to increase his playing strength. There is a really good football player there...He just needs to get a little stronger to compete at an elite level.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Someday i'd like to draft an impact player in the middle of the first round, not a project.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Lists like this are meaningless to me until the end of the season. My guess is it will looks a lot different in January than it does now.

The bottom line is, the Steelers have 4 rookies who look like they are going to be real contributors moving forward (Jarvis Jones, Le'Veon Bell, Vince Wiliams, and Markus Wheaton).

Regardless of how they look through six games, my guess is all four of these guys are important to the team moving forward.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bustamalu?

Just a guess but I doubt he would be on such s rookie list.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Jones hasn't played up to his draft spot but that doesn't mean anything yet. Think fast...Play fast. I'll judge him when I think he "should" be there. I don't think we will see what Jones is truly capable of at this level until he starts to increase his playing strength. There is a really good football player there...He just needs to get a little stronger to compete at an elite level.
    Why the new standard? It has been held against Timmons for years!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Long term, JJ is the least of my worries with this team.

IMO, I think he needs a year of strength training and he'll be a beast. He's having troubling fighting thru those big LTs. Also, you'll notice he's getting double teamed on several occasions. He is being matched up against most teams best o-lineman (LT).
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Why the new standard? It has been held against Timmons for years!
    I can't speak for what standard you hold players to or other fans as well. That is what that ranking reflects. I never put the arrow down on Timmons and to be fair...Neither did his play. I'm sure "the experts" think Jones should have 5-6 sacks by now and since he has 0 he is a bust. The concern I saw predraft is showing on the field but so is the football mind, explosion, & instincts I knew he had. I didn't want him in the 1st because I thought he was at least a year away from being an impact player but he is here. I haven't seen anything to suggest he can't be who the Steelers think he should be. I do think it all lies on increased playing strength because hitting the field earlier rather than later should accelerate his learning curve. He has shown where his explosiveness still can make a play even at this level but I have also seen where he gets stoned. It just shows me he needs the strength to counter when that happens...In the run & pass.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Lists like this are meaningless to me until the end of the season. My guess is it will looks a lot different in January than it does now.

The bottom line is, the Steelers have 4 rookies who look like they are going to be real contributors moving forward (Jarvis Jones, Le'Veon Bell, Vince Wiliams, and Markus Wheaton).

Regardless of how they look through six games, my guess is all four of these guys are important to the team moving forward.
    Agreed. Heck, they have started Pro Bowl balloting already. Wouldn't it be best to wait until at least after each team has had their bye week? Maybe even wait until the end of the regular season? There is so much ball to be played that I don't get how you can make any of these choices yet.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I can't speak for what standard you hold players to or other fans as well. That is what that ranking reflects. I never put the arrow down on Timmons and to be fair...Neither did his play. I'm sure "the experts" think Jones should have 5-6 sacks by now and since he has 0 he is a bust. The concern I saw predraft is showing on the field but so is the football mind, explosion, & instincts I knew he had. I didn't want him in the 1st because I thought he was at least a year away from being an impact player but he is here. I haven't seen anything to suggest he can't be who the Steelers think he should be. I do think it all lies on increased playing strength because hitting the field earlier rather than later should accelerate his learning curve. He has shown where his explosiveness still can make a play even at this level but I have also seen where he gets stoned. It just shows me he needs the strength to counter when that happens...In the run & pass.
    I agree with all you say and was being sarcastic because of the moving standard Timmons is always evaluated against. I didn't want Jarvis Jones as our #1, and still think we would be getting better production from Tyler Eifert, but I think Jones will end up being a better than average OLB.