Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers mulling waiver claim on TE Moeaki

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers mulling waiver claim on TE Moeaki

BTSC Steelers ‏@btsteelcurtain 42m
    Report: #Steelers investigating health of #Chiefs TE Tony Moeaki. If team docs clear, claim is likely [url]http://sbn.to/HbxkiC[/url]

Report: Steelers mulling waiver claim of tight end Tony Moeaki
    By Neal Coolong  @NealCoolong on Oct 23 2013, 3:16p 2

Gregory Shamus

Moeaki reached an injury settlement with the Chiefs. He is on waivers now, and the Steelers are reportedly looking into make a claim, if they feel comfortable with his injury history.

A source has confirmed with Behind The Steel Curtain the Steelers are looking into the background and health history of Chiefs tight end Tony Moeaki.
    The Chiefs and Moeaki agreed to an injury settlement Wednesday, confirming his release from the team 10 weeks since a broken scapula led him to be placed on injured reserve. He suffered the injury in a preseason game against the Steelers.

The Steelers signed tight end Matt Spaeth this offseason, but he suffered a foot injury in training camp and was placed on short-term injured reserve. He's eligible to return to practice, but has not yet done so. A move for Moeaki could be the precursor toward placing Spaeth on IR for the remainder of the season.

The source said the Steelers doctors are evaluating the extent of his injuries, and the decision to make a claim on him will depend on how comfortable they are in him being able to get on the field within the next three weeks.

The Steelers have rolled through several tight ends this year. David Johnson was placed on IR a week ago with a dislocated wrist. The team signed Richard Gordon, but he has yet to practice with the team due to a foot injury. Heath Miller missed all of training camp and the first game of the season as he recovered from a torn ACL in December.

If Moeaki is healthy, he could be a potent receiving weapon. Health has been the main concern throughout his four-year career. He's already had multiple knee surgeries, and reports of concussion-related symptoms as well, along with the shoulder injury that's limited him this season.

In his career, he has 80 catches, 1,009 yards and four touchdowns.
    The obvious connection is with Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who was the Chiefs head coach in 2010, Moeaki's rookie year. That season, Moeaki caught 47 passes for 556 yards and three touchdowns as the Chiefs won the AFC West division title.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like him he's a beat. So expect things to fall.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Starter

User Info Menu

I dont know how Moeaki will fit into our offense. But he will fit right into our injured reserve. I wouldnt even bother giving this guy a number, just a set of gray sweats. Can we at least attempt sign someone who has a chance of contributing?

Legend

User Info Menu

This team sure seems to have an obsession with tight ends...

So he might be a receiving threat. I want to know, how is Moeaki as a blocker?

Legend

User Info Menu

No.... no.... no....

Legend

User Info Menu

I have no idea how he blocks but when healthy he is quite a threat in the passing game.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

They don't kick the tires on players out there that "may" be better than what we have and people complain ... they kick the tires on players that "may" be better than what we have aaaaaand .. people complain ...
    Serious question ... who is our 3rd best TE, and is Moeaki better than him?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    They don't kick the tires on players out there that "may" be better than what we have and people complain ... they kick the tires on players that "may" be better than what we have aaaaaand .. people complain ...
    Serious question ... who is our 3rd best TE, and is Moeaki better than him?
    That's why I asked if he was a good blocker. We have Miller and Paulson (and Will Johnson as a H-back/TE) who are all supposed to be receiving threats. Do we really need another TE "receiving threat"? I mean, how many of these guys are you going to have on the field at the same time?
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 10-23-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    That's why I asked if he was a good blocker. We have Miller and Paulson (and Will Johnson as a H-back/TE) who are all supposed to be receiving threats. Do we really need another TE "receiving threat"? I mean, how many of these guys are you going to have on the field at the same time?
    If not for the injuries he'd very likely be considered an elite receiving option at tight end. If it's going to cost us very little to give him a look I see no reason to be so up in arms about it. Heath isn't going to be around forever and Moeaki is onnly 26 years old.
    EDIT: I'm sure you were aware of the success of the two tight ends in New England before Hernandez did himself in, Moeaki when healthy has that sort of ability.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Paulson has a total of 5 catches for 72 yards and a fumble in 6 games...

Yes, they could use another "receiving threat"....