Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jones doesn't make the list

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I agree with all you say and was being sarcastic because of the moving standard Timmons is always evaluated against. I didn't want Jarvis Jones as our #1, and still think we would be getting better production from Tyler Eifert, but I think Jones will end up being a better than average OLB.
    Jones will probably be a good LB like Timmons, but like Timmons I don't think he's an OLB in the 3-4 at this level. So we have two 3-4 Bucks (or 4-3 Whips) drafted as LOLBs?? Looking at Jones' college sacks on video, I can't recall many that came from beating any LT's 1 on 1. most came from pursuit or stunts. But I want someone to show me any videos of him just plain old beating LTs 1 on 1.
    Last edited by SidSmythe; 10-25-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

This is me, not caring about October lists...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Jones hasn't played up to his draft spot but that doesn't mean anything yet. Think fast...Play fast. I'll judge him when I think he "should" be there. I don't think we will see what Jones is truly capable of at this level until he starts to increase his playing strength. There is a really good football player there...He just needs to get a little stronger to compete at an elite level.
    I agree. I think Jones has all the tools to be great, but needs to hit the weight room.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I agree. I think Jones has all the tools to be great, but needs to hit the weight room.
    I knew it. You are LloydDroid!!! Resistance Training or Bust!!!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Kettle Bells babay!
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If the hole they dug isn't too big...It will be "Not how you start...But how you finish". Injuries, new young starters, and rookies had a lot to do with the slow start. 10 out of 22 starter turnover from 2012 to present. This season started as a big train spinning its wheels to get going. It's starting to move down the tracks. Let's see how much speed they can build up or if it derails. No telling right now but there could be problems early starting this week that they can't come back from. 4-4 imo erases the start. 3-5 gives them hope as long as the loss doesn't come to the Raiders. I do feel pretty confident saying this. If they stay on track & win the games they should including no division losses...Remain healthy...This will be a runaway train that nobody wants to get in front of. You give me these Rookies & new starters playing for something over the next 10 games...The "tag" of rookie or new starter will be gone. The worst thing that could happen to the rest of the AFC is this Steelers team gaining "must win" game experience & momentum.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 10-25-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If the hole they dug isn't too big...It will be "Not how you start...But how you finish". Injuries, new young starters, and rookies had a lot to do with the slow start. 10 out of 22 starter turnover from 2012 to present. This season started as a big train spinning its wheels to get going. It's starting to move down the tracks. Let's see how much speed they can build up or if it derails. No telling right now but there could be problems early starting this week that they can't come back from. 4-4 imo erases the start. 3-5 gives them hope as long as the loss doesn't come to the Raiders. I do feel pretty confident saying this. If they stay on track & win the games they should including no division losses...Remain healthy...This will be a runaway train that nobody wants to get in front of. You give me these Rookies & new starters playing for something over the next 10 games...The "tag" of rookie or new starter will be gone. The worst thing that could happen to the rest of the AFC is this Steelers team gaining "must win" game experience & momentum.
    Well said. If we get to 4-4 and stay healthy (mostly Ben), I could see between 8-8 and 10-6 for the season depending on how the breaks fall. Maybe we follow the Giants script to the Super Bowl and start to roll in the play offs.

If we are 3-5 after 8 games then I think we are looking at a 6 or 7 win season.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Two Steeler draft picks who were picked in similar spots who also would not have made the October list in their draft years...

2003 - Troy Polamalu - 16th overall
    2007 - Lawrence Timmons - 15th overall

We will always say that you can't judge a draft until at least 3 years have passed, but then some analyst comes out with a list like this and people complain about the draft. I'd rather have my guys on the impact list in 2016 than this list. Lack of patience and perspective is how a team becomes the Cleveland Browns.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Most ranking lists are meaningless. A ranking list from Mel Kiper is even more meaningless.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Most ranking lists are meaningless. A ranking list from Mel Kiper is even more meaningless.
    Given Kiper's love of the Ravens and hatred of the Steelers this is very true.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"