Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Steelers very impressed with LB Lawrence Timmons

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Töm87 View Post
    It made Sacko look like Montana on that Touchdown drive, though.

    Zero interceptions and a completion rate alot higher then Sack had averaged so far.

    I am not really sold on that sheme, yet.
    True, but for only one TD and one of his lowest YpA of the year...

  2. #12
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    And to think it took what, 5 years for him to get good? I mean, I'm pretty happy that he is becoming a very key part of the defense...but it took this long?
    He was good way before that but will never get credit for it.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Töm87 View Post
    It made Sacko look like Montana on that Touchdown drive, though.

    Zero interceptions and a completion rate alot higher then Sack had averaged so far.

    I am not really sold on that sheme, yet.
    I think that the reason that the Ravens drove in the fourth is because the D backed off what they were doing in the first half. They bottled up the O until they stopped being aggressive.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    He was good way before that but will never get credit for it.
    Timmons should have been a pro bowler in 2010, and an all pro last year.

  5. #15
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,433
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think that the reason that the Ravens drove in the fourth is because the D backed off what they were doing in the first half. They bottled up the O until they stopped being aggressive.
    "Stopped being aggressive" is a song we have heard too many times by LeBeau the past few seasons.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    "Stopped being aggressive" is a song we have heard too many times by LeBeau the past few seasons.
    True enough, but does that decision come from Lebeau or from Tomlin? Whoever it does come from, I think that most of us will agree that we don't like it.

  7. #17
    Pro Bowler skyhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    "Stopped being aggressive" is a song we have heard too many times by LeBeau the past few seasons.
    Definitely. The D flat out sucks late in the 4th Q of games. Has been happening now for about 5 years now.

    Elite D? Wtf? Still last in the league in forced turnovers. Not.

  8. #18
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,104
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think that the reason that the Ravens drove in the fourth is because the D backed off what they were doing in the first half. They bottled up the O until they stopped being aggressive.
    This is why having JJ on the field will be good. Fresher legs (his or Worilds) will only allow the team to keep the pressure on.

  9. #19
    http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/4931015-74/timmons-kovacevic-steelers

    By Dejan Kovacevic

    Published: Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2013, 10:36 p.m.
    It took Mike Tomlin the entirety of 264 words to get through what he called the Steelers' “laundry list of injuries” a couple days ago. And he did so as casually as ever, in that classic NFL injury parlance that cites nothing more than the existence of a given anatomical part.
    You know …
    “Kelvin Beachum has some right ribs,” the coach began.
    Good thing, too. Can really help a man breathe.
    “Brett Keisel has left ribs.”
    Stands to reason, given Beachum having some on the other side.
    “LaMarr Woodley has a right knee.”
    Bet there's a match for that, too.
    “Lawrence Timmons broke his left hand. That's been casted. He's ready to go.”
    Wait, what?
    “That happened late in the third or early in the fourth quarter of the game,” Tomlin proceeded without pause, dramatic or otherwise. “He was able to finish. We fixed it. He has full mobility in all of his fingers, but it has been secured with a cast.”
    And … nobody's talking about this?
    Let's rectify that right here and review that 19-16 victory Sunday over the Ravens for a full hindsight-is-20/20 appreciation of one of the great individual performances in Heinz Field history: Timmons registered 17 tackles, 12 of them solos, per official NFL statistics. But the Steelers' internal film study — done by coaches and far more meticulous — had him at 20 tackles, 17 solos.
    Twenty!
    Roughly one-third of Baltimore's 61 offensive plays!
    If you count another tackle on a play nullified by penalty, it would be 21!
    And, yeah, six of those came after Timmons' hand was broken coming down on the helmet of Baltimore guard Marshal Yanda early in the fourth quarter.
    Shouldn't someone be writing a folk song about this?
    “Nah,” Timmons was telling me Wednesday. “When you're playing, you've got adrenaline. You're not really thinking about it. You're just playing. You're out there trying to make every play.”
    Trying?
    Here are a few stanzas for the folk song:
    • The 17 official tackles were most by anyone on the Steelers since Dewayne Washington had that many in 2001 against the Bengals, according to Stats LLC. But Jon Kitna threw 50 times that day, and Washington was just doing damage control in coverage.
    • The 17 tackles tie for third-most in the NFL this season. The Bills' Kiko Alonso had a league-high 22 two weeks ago.
    • If looking at 20-tackle performances, there have been only 16 in the league since 1994. The most were the 24 of the Jets' David Harris in 2007.
    Sing away, gentlemen …
    Steve McLendon, nose tackle: “Amazing. Just amazing.”
    Cam Heyward, defensive end: “The man brought his hard hat. We're very appreciative of it.”
    Keith Butler, the Steelers' tell-it-like-it-is linebackers coach: “It was a hell of a performance. The best game I've seen him play. It's not like he's not capable of doing it. He is. Some days you get in positions to make those plays, and he made them.”
    Butler, like the rest of us, wasn't fully aware of what he was witnessing at the time.
    “I didn't even know Lawrence broke the hand until Mike told me the next day,” Butler said. “I told L.T., ‘If you'll play like that, we'll break the other one.' ”
    As for Timmons downplaying the pain, fellow linebacker Jarvis Jones laughed that off: “I played with a broken hand in high school, and I can tell you, it hurts. I mean hurts. We don't play a position like some others. You've got to tackle with your hands. You feel it.”
    And what Timmons did?
    “Man, I don't have words. That's why he's up there with the elite.”
    Let me pile on, too: Timmons has been these Steelers' best player at any position, either side of the ball, all season. And don't let it go unrecognized that he's done not only his job but also that vacated by Larry Foote in that he calls all defensive signals and has dropped into pass coverage more than ever.
    When I asked Timmons back at Latrobe if he could find yet another level after an excellent 2012, he responded without hesitation that he wanted to be “better in the film room.” That was it.
    And now?
    “It's still that,” he said. “It's about being a student of the game and about loving the game, and I feel I'm combining those two things and getting better. I love to be out there making plays for my team, and I'll do whatever it takes to make them.”
    That's because, per NFL injury parlance, Timmons has a heart.

    Dejan Kovacevic is a sports columnist for Trib Total Media. Reach him at
    dkovacevic@tribweb.com or via Twitter @Dejan_Kovacevic

  10. #20
    Benchwarmer raycafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, Ca.
    Posts
    78
    The thing that is being forgotten here about the elite defense. If you compare it to the other 32 teams in the league then we have one of the elite defenses out there. How many other teams can you say have that much of a better defense than we do. Not counting the stats of turnovers and yards(I know the things that count) would you rather have a defense like the Bucks, Eagles, Cardinals. Though they give up drives and at times can't get off the field. I for one will take our defense over more than 85% of the rest of the league. So to me that makes them elite within top 15%. Imo

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •