Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what, all of a sudden William Gay is Rod Woodson?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So what, all of a sudden William Gay is Rod Woodson?

I'd just like to point out another Guy who has exceeded expectations in a big way so far....and that's Gay. The man has played like a bona fide NFL cornerback for a few games in a row now. Like the nickel defense with 6 DBs we rolled out this week: Ike, Gay, Allen, Troy, Clark, and Shark.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No No No!! Rod Woodson is William Gay!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He was my main concern on defense going into the season. Glad it's been working out.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    No No No!! Rod Woodson is William Gay!!
    Maybe in a few years we can say that the Woodson kid belongs in the same sentence as the vaunted WILLIAM GAY. (his name must be in larger letters because the regular sized font is too small to capture his greatness).

Legend

User Info Menu

Fans have a hard time getting a bead on Gay because he is notoriously inconsistent. He can look solid one season and be a problem the next. I have always felt he hasn't gotten a fair shake because of this...but there is no doubt he has the talent to play the position. Maybe it's the Lake effect kicking in...who knows.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Fans have a hard time getting a bead on Gay because he is notoriously inconsistent. He can look solid one season and be a problem the next. I have always felt he hasn't gotten a fair shake because of this...but there is no doubt he has the talent to play the position. Maybe it's the Lake effect kicking in...who knows.
    He's always been a physical corner. In the past some of his more notable "gaffes" have been via heinous mismatches that he himself could not control. A good example would be when he was massacred by Gronkowski. Fans have keyed on those moments and as you mention above never really gave him a fair shake. Add in Lake and some solid DB coaching and everyone sees what we're now getting. Very high character guy with a good motor, above average tackling and now some coverage skills to match.

Legend

User Info Menu

My head may tell me you guys are right, but I just keep having these mental images of his losing games for us a few years ago (not to mention the AP bug-on-back-waving-legs pose). I know it's not fair, but it's going to take either a long time, or some game saving defends for me to get past that.

It'd be similar to if Adams started blooming into a killer Left Corner over the next season or two ... it would take a while for the bad memories to be washed away ...

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Gay was pretty solid his last year in Pittsburgh..

Doesn't surprise me at all that he's having a good year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    My head may tell me you guys are right, but I just keep having these mental images of his losing games for us a few years ago (not to mention the AP bug-on-back-waving-legs pose). I know it's not fair, but it's going to take either a long time, or some game saving defends for me to get past that.

It'd be similar to if Adams started blooming into a killer Left Corner over the next season or two ... it would take a while for the bad memories to be washed away ...
    If Adams becomes a killer left corner, he'll have an obvious height advantage.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

William Gay thriving in return

PITTSBURGH (AP) - The ball left Joe Flacco's hands and William Gay's eyes grew wide.

And not in a good way.

Flacco's pass early in the third quarter last Sunday was heading for Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Jacoby Jones, who just so happened to be the man Gay was supposed to be covering. One problem. Jones was long gone and the Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback knew it.

When asked if Jones' advantage was maybe a half-step, Gay shook his head and held up his right hand as if to say, ''Stop.''

''Come on now,'' Gay said. ''I was beat.''

That is, until the ball arrived. When Flacco's heave floated down into Jones' outstretched hands, Gay reached out and swatted it away. The well-timed deflection preserved Pittsburgh's lead in an eventual 19-16 victory. It also underlined Gay's importance for a secondary that is starting to look like its usual self.

Back with the Steelers after spending an ill-fated year with the Arizona Cardinals, Gay has blossomed from insurance policy to nearly indispensable starter. His sure tackling and unshakable confidence are among the reasons Pittsburgh (2-4) believes it can somehow rally from its horrific September.

''This is a long football season, 16 games, and we finished the first quarter 0-4,'' Gay said. ''Now, we've moved on into the second quarter, and we're 2-0 in the second quarter.''

And the Steelers have done it by shutting down the high-flying (if erratic) New York Jets and bottling the defending Super Bowl champion Ravens. Pittsburgh enters Sunday's game in Oakland (2-4) fourth in the NFL in pass defense while allowing a league-low five touchdowns through the air.

Not bad for a secondary that lost Keenan Lewis and his AFC-leading 23 pass deflections in 2012 to New Orleans in free agency. The Steelers planned on moving Cortez Allen to Lewis' spot, but Allen underwent minor knee surgery shortly after training camp began and has struggled to stay healthy.

Enter Gay, who thrived as a nickelback in Pittsburgh from 2007-11 before signing with the Cardinals after Arizona made him an offer - not to mention a pay raise - he couldn't refuse.

It didn't work out. Though Gay collected two interceptions and helped the Cardinals finish fifth in yards passing allowed, the team plummeted from a 4-0 start, finishing 5-11. Coach Ken Whisenhunt was fired, and Gay suddenly found himself out of work when Arizona cut him even though Gay had one season remaining on his contract.

Though getting released hurt, Gay wasn't exactly surprised.

''If Arizona went 11-5, 12-4 last year, I probably wouldn't be sitting here talking about the Steelers,'' Gay said. ''That's the way the business is.''

Gay's job hunt didn't last long. The Steelers have a long track record of welcoming back wayward sons with open arms. They needed a veteran backup in the secondary and didn't want to waste time bringing a newcomer up to speed.

''William definitely fit us,'' defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said.

Even if the initial fit called for Gay to be an insurance policy if Allen faltered. That was fine by Gay, who conceded his family kept its allegiance with the Steelers during his unsuccessful trip west.

He returned to Pittsburgh hungry but hardly humbled. Confidence has never been an issue for Gay, whose nickname ''Big Play Willie Gay'' is practically self-anointed. As Allen's rehab dragged on, Gay leapt at the chance to work across the field from Ike Taylor.

Though the Steelers aren't exactly ballhawks, it's not an important part of the job description in Pittsburgh, where the premium is on getting opponents to the ground. That's hardly a problem for Gay, who plays bigger than his 5-foot-10, 183-pound frame.

''Everybody is starting to see what tackling means as a cornerback, and Gay has always been a solid tackler,'' Taylor said.

Taylor pointed out a key third down on which Gay tackled Ray Rice to force the Ravens to settle for a field goal. It wasn't a flashy play by any means. That didn't make it an unimportant one.

''If you were to sit down and watch tape, it's a bigger play than the plays that these corners (on other teams) are making,'' Taylor said.

Gay allows he might not be the most gifted athlete in the secondary and knows he'll be attacked regularly as teams try to avoid throwing the ball at Taylor. That's fine by Gay.
    ''I'm just comfortable playing with a group of guys who love the game,'' he said. ''I don't care where I'm at. Put me at safety and I'll do what I do.'

Read More: [url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2013/football/nfl/wires/10/24/2000.ap.fbn.steelers.big.play.gay.1st.ld.writethru .1026/index.html#ixzz2igetBKa2[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S