Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DeCastro, Gay receive top PFF marks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

DeCastro, Gay receive top PFF marks

Pro Football Focus, a popular football evaluation web site, gave Steelers right guard David DeCastro and cornerback William Gay its highest marks on offense and defense for the Steelers in their 19-16 win over the Baltimore Ravens in Week 7.

DeCastro earned a +3.6 grade, all in run blocking, as the second-year guard steamrolled Ravens defenders all game long. It was only his ninth career start, but clearly, the best one he's had in that time. It's by far his top grade received from PFF.

Right tackle Guy Whimper silenced any and all critics he had with a newsworthy performance against Baltimore as well. He received a +2.6 grade - the highest of any Steelers tackle this season. He replaced Marcus Gilbert after seven plays, and performed very well, especially considering the level of competition he was facing.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger earned a +2.0 grade.

Tight end Heath Miller received a -4.1, the lowest among offensive players. It was the second-lowest grade they've given Miller since the site began in 2008 (Week 14 in 2008 against Dallas was the lowest at -4.4).

Gay was given a +2.1 overall score, boosting him to +5.6 on the season - 14th highest among cornerbacks in the NFL. He was one of the few positive grades the Steelers defense received, with Shamarko Thomas receiving a +1.4 and Lawrence Timmons receiving a +1.3, respectively.

Outside linebacker Jason Worilds received a -2.6.

[url]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/10/22/4865514/steelers-pro-football-focus-week-7-rankings-evaluation[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hope this is a sign that DeCastro is getting to full strength and it's signs of good things to come. As for Worilds, it wasn't like he was even in the game most of the time
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Oh, I think it is

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Hope this is a sign that DeCastro is getting to full strength and it's signs of good things to come. As for Worilds, it wasn't like he was even in the game most of the time
    I was mad at him when he took Pouncey out. And at other times, he has looked almost equally hapless as that play. But unlike Adams, I think those are "growing pains", and he's proving what people thought of him coming out. At worst, the guy has at least proven to be a force run-blocking, particularly pulling.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I was mad at him when he took Pouncey out.
    I think that actually helped us. Could it be DD knew what he was doing when he dove at Pouncey?
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    worilds played most of the game with jones dinged up
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Gay, Timmons, and Taylor are all knotted up at 4 passes defended for the season. And where does the lamented K Lewis fall???

he has 5 for the season....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Gay, Timmons, and Taylor are all knotted up at 4 passes defended for the season. And where does the lamented K Lewis fall???

he has 5 for the season....
    so each player has 4 for the season? In one less game? Not bad.

Legend

User Info Menu

How do you make 17 tackles and only get a 1.3 rating? Were all the tackles 10 yards downfield?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    How do you make 17 tackles and only get a 1.3 rating? Were all the tackles 10 yards downfield?

Pappy
    The same way you prevent two TDs and earn a +2.1...

Rarely is any player given a score greater than 3 or less than -3...supposedly, most grade out at zero....

Legend

User Info Menu

I noticed DD a few times making positive plays in the run game. I also noticed him finishing plays and helping running backs fight for extra yards. In addition to PFF, I saw some nice buzz for DD from Wexell and Lance Zeirlien (sp?) - the son of the old offensive line coach.

Hopefully DD builds on this game.