Thread: The Delusional Optimists Post Game Break Down-Ravens/Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

The Delusional Optimists Post Game Break Down-Ravens/Steelers

Who would think Steeler fans would be dancing in the streets happy after a 2-4 start? But, I believe there is an air of optimism in Pittsburgh...for good reason. Just a few observations.

1) Moye could have solidified his place in the future plans of this offense if he could have made that TD grab. But, his heart showed up on that huge 17 yard catch...getting flipped on his head...hanging onto the ball. This is what I seen in the preseason that made me so high on this kid. I love the way he goes after the ball and yardage. It screams a love for the game that is so desperately needed on this squad.

2) Le'Veon Bell is a freak. While I know it was only one game, he showed most Steeler fans all we need to see in order to make an evaluation of his future in the Burgh. He made lemonade out of lemons all day...scratching and clawing his way to 90+ yards running against a stout run D. He has done it his entire career...running well behind questionable OL. Glad he finally showed BnG fans what he is capable of doing.

3) Ben is looking more like Ben. He still isn't quite as sharp, but he didn't turn the ball over and even pulled the ball up to run for a big first.

4) Haley is looking less and less clueless. Say all you want about Haley, but he adjusted and he was creative. Arians would have continued trying to stick that square peg into a round hole.

5) The Wildcat-I love the way Bell runs from under center. It was cool seeing that.

6) Troy P is healthy still? Feels like an episode of the Fringe. He is playing well.

7) Our patchwork OL is better without Adams and Gilbert. I think Gilbert may lose his job. And I feel ashamed that I almost wanted to give Adams another chance to prove himself this offseason.

Thomas is a player. I love his field presence. He has that IT factor that I love to see in Steeler safeties.

9) I have underestimated Sanders speed. He looked like Teddy Ginn on that return...pulling away from people.

10) Who else wants to see Cam Heyward play some fullback? Dude, looks like he can tote the rock...just like dad.

11) Le'Veon Bell, Felix Jones and Venric Mark (Northwestern) would be a sweet sweet trio next season.

12) The Steelers are not out of this thing yet. Unreal. Pulling for the Steelers to make history. I would assume no team has made playoffs let alone a SB after an 0-4 start.

10)
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bring on the Raiders. Beating them is all they need to worry about right now.

Rookie

User Info Menu

In 1992, the Chargers went from 0-4 to playoffs...

I don't remember how the entire AFC West was that year, but the teams above them may not have been any better than the teams above us...

The Saints went 0-4 last year while the Falcons went 4-0...if that had happened to us, we would likely be done...but, the teams that were above us allowed us to hang around...

Legend

User Info Menu

on #7) I hope you are right. It was night and day against a good run defense w/o the dimwitted, softy Gibert in there.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    In 1992, the Chargers went from 0-4 to playoffs...

I don't remember how the entire AFC West was that year, but the teams above them may not have been any better than the teams above us...

The Saints went 0-4 last year while the Falcons went 4-0...if that had happened to us, we would likely be done...but, the teams that were above us allowed us to hang around...
    I was really hoping the Lions would do their job against the Bengals yesterday. Partially because I have an affinity for them since I grew up around there, but mostly because it makes things that much easier for us.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I was really hoping the Lions would do their job against the Bengals yesterday. Partially because I have an affinity for them since I grew up around there, but mostly because it makes things that much easier for us.
    Unfortunately, the hole was dug very deep in the first four games. I would think that the Steelers can only lose one more game and it can't be a division game, that would leave them at 11-5 with no guarantee of a division title or wild card. They're in a bad way, but first things first and that's don't lose to Terrell Pryor and the Raiders.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Don't the Steelers usually have some trouble going west and playing in Oakland? This is not an easy game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    on #7) I hope you are right. It was night and day against a good run defense w/o the dimwitted, softy Gibert in there.
    Pete, we can dare to dream. It's sad that we have 2 second rounders turn out to be poor OLmen. But, when you draft guys who are known to be soft turnstyles in college...then expect them to improve in the pros...well it generally doesn't work out. I believe in drafting guys who are smart, but play with a mean streak.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Unfortunately, the hole was dug very deep in the first four games. I would think that the Steelers can only lose one more game and it can't be a division game, that would leave them at 11-5 with no guarantee of a division title or wild card. They're in a bad way, but first things first and that's don't lose to Terrell Pryor and the Raiders.

Pappy
    Thankfully, the AFCN isn't like the West. The Bengals are talented, but are known to falter. Baltimore and Cleveland can get hot/cold, but both will be tough to beat for us I think. As a fan, I look at those things. For the team, I agree that the focus really needs to be on beating Oakland and nothing else at this point.