Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Last time D had a game winning stop?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Last year, 12/2/2012, the Steelers, led by Charlie Batch, were in Baltimore...

Down 20-13 in the fourth quarter, James Harrison strip-sacked Flacco...the offense scored a TD...

Then, after kicking off, the defense made the Ravens punt within 1:00 of game time...offense drives for the winning FG...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I'm trying to remember the last time the D had a game winning stop? 2008 vs Dallas?

Maybe we've had a few since then but it damn sure seems like when we need our D to hold in the 4th quarter they haven't been able to execute. D played well and this doesn't excuse the O for the RZ failures but dammit... I want to see our D go 3 and out or get a key stop with less than 5 minutes to go.

You know it's bad when I felt a little relief right after Sanders stepped out.. my first thought was "well, at least this gives us time to burn clock"

It shouldn't be like that but right now I still don't trust our D to get a key stop when we need it.

Don't get me wrong... they held the Ravens to 3 multiple times but man, that last drive they had a chance to wrap it up and came up short.
    or when's the last time they prevented an offense from coming down and tying the game

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    or when's the last time they prevented an offense from coming down and tying the game
    11/4/2012 - Steelers @ Giants

Isaac Redman runs in a TD to give the Steelers a 24-20 lead. Giants take possession at 4:02 left in the fourth quarter. Steelers D forces a three-and-out, sacking Eli Manning on 3rd down. Giants punt. Steelers run out the clock.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    11/4/2012 - Steelers @ Giants

Isaac Redman runs in a TD to give the Steelers a 24-20 lead. Giants take possession at 4:02 left in the fourth quarter. Steelers D forces a three-and-out, sacking Eli Manning on 3rd down. Giants punt. Steelers run out the clock.
    So this and the Raven game mentioned earlier......last season. How soon we forget.
    what is amazing is that the D can hold someone down all game, they score BELOW their average give up a late score WE WIN like Sunday, and THE DEFENSE is pathetic. Give me a defense where our offense can score less that 20 and still WIN any day.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Rookie

User Info Menu

I didn't mention the 10/21/12 Bengals game where the Steelers kept a 24-17 lead for more than 14 minutes in the 4th quarter...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I didn't mention the 10/21/12 Bengals game where the Steelers kept a 24-17 lead for more than 14 minutes in the 4th quarter...
    You can stop now.
    Now you are just piling on.

We see what we want to see.

Half the people here see 70s style offense when we are having historically few run attempts too.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    So this and the Raven game mentioned earlier......last season. How soon we forget.
    what is amazing is that the D can hold someone down all game, they score BELOW their average give up a late score WE WIN like Sunday, and THE DEFENSE is pathetic. Give me a defense where our offense can score less that 20 and still WIN any day.
    Who said the D is pathetic? I'm talking about critical stops.... not overall D.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Who said the D is pathetic? I'm talking about critical stops.... not overall D.
    You are right, I just get tired of dumping on DL. You are not close to the others, my bad. And the defense WAS legitimately bad at times this season (Vikings).

TCFCLTC-