Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ben was Ben Again

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I have to correct you ... the STEELERS have won 2 SBs and been to a 3rd before Haley got there. Ben had a lot of 3rd and short before he got hurt last year ... just like he did yesterday. I'm not exactly a Haley fan but if Ben would give his system a chance it could work well for him. I'd like to find out.
    I have to correct you, the Steelers never won jack without a franchise QB.

How about instead of Haley trying to ram something down Ben's throat, how about he builds an offense to maximize Ben's strengths like other teams with franchise QBs do? I'd like to see the Steelers give adjusting to the modern NFL a chance instead of pounding their heads against a brick wall.

And saying Ben had a lot of 3rd and shorts last year is just laughable. He was considered an MVP candidate because he was bailing the offense out on third and long plays.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post

How about instead of Haley trying to ram something down Ben's throat, how about he builds an offense to maximize Ben's strengths like other teams with franchise QBs do? I'd like to see the Steelers give adjusting to the modern NFL a chance instead of pounding their heads against a brick wall.

And saying Ben had a lot of 3rd and shorts last year is just laughable. He was considered an MVP candidate because he was bailing the offense out on third and long plays.
    The Steelers haven't had an OL that plays to Roethlisberger's strength for several years, that's why. Holding off blockers for 6 or 7 sec isn't their strong suit. Not sure if you noticed the games this season, but if Ben doesn't release the ball in under 3 sec, he is headed for a sack. Can only play with the players ya got,....still got Ben, but the rest of the O is far different than even 1 year ago...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The Steelers haven't had an OL that plays to Roethlisberger's strength for several years, that's why. Holding off blockers for 6 or 7 sec isn't their strong suit. Not sure if you noticed the games this season, but if Ben doesn't release the ball in under 3 sec, he is headed for a sack. Can only play with the players ya got,....still got Ben, but the rest of the O is far different than even 1 year ago...
    Money post. Ben getting strip sacked is not playing to THE TEAM strengths. A productive run game slows the rush and Ben getting rid of the ball sooner keeps him cleaner. He can THEN take his shots effectively with less heat when he does.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Roethlisberger's QBR in the redzone this season is the 2nd highest of his career, 106 for 5th in the NFL. If nothing else, we have to give Haley credit for this huge improvement.... but of course there will be those saying it's Ben, not Haley.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Roethlisberger's QBR in the redzone this season is the 2nd highest of his career, 106 for 5th in the NFL. If nothing else, we have to give Haley credit for this huge improvement.... but of course there will be those saying it's Ben, not Haley.
    I bet his career high was 2007.
    The last time we had a solid RUN game.
    Bens career high QBR and TD passes (32) was in a season that we passed FAR LESS than we have in any year since.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post

Funny how when Sean Payton got back on the sidelines this year he said the Saints have to get better on defense and running the football. Now why would he say that when he has a franchise QB just like the Steelers? Isn't he part of this "modern NFL"? Is he trying to ram something down Brees' throat? Is he just pounding his head against a brick wall? Go ahead and answer the questions.

The Steelers won their first 2 Super Bowls without a franchise QB. If you were a fan in those days you would realize that many were calling for Bradshaw's head. We won those Super Bowls with defense and a running game. Saying Bradshaw was a franchise QB for those wins is equivalent to saying Dilfer was a franchise QB for Baltimore in 2000. No way in hell.

I could make a case that Neil O'Donnell was just as responsible for us going to the SB in 1995 as Ben was in 2005. I could make a case that Neil played as well or even better in the Super Bowl game itself than Ben did in 2005.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!