Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Who?

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Who?

Front office made the right choice! There should no longer be a question about it!

Brown making sure Steelers don't miss Wallace
    October 17, 2013 12:18 am
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    For all the player defections and all the problems that led to their 1-4 start this season, one player the Steelers do not miss is wide receiver Mike Wallace. Not the way Antonio Brown is playing, they do not.

Brown not only is back from what was, for him, a disappointing 2012 season, he leads the AFC in receiving yards per game and has become so important to the Steelers they have devised new ways to deploy him.

His performance has blown away the one Wallace has displayed in Miami after the Dolphins acquired him for $60 million over five years.

Brown leads the AFC with an average of 99.6 yards receiving and 8.3 receptions per game. He has 41 catches for 498 yards and two touchdowns.

Wallace? He's not exactly lighting things up for the Dolphins with 22 receptions for 281 yards and one touchdown after leaving the Steelers as a free agent this year. In the meantime, the Steelers are trying to spring Brown into secondaries any way they can.

"We're moving him around, [throwing] short passes and long passes," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "They're doubling him. They're doing a lot of different things. It's a credit to him and the work that he's putting in to get open and to other guys. He's not open if [tight end] Heath Miller isn't creating some issues and getting attention."

Miller led the Steelers with 71 receptions in 2012, and they elected him as their MVP. Brown was MVP in 2011, when he had 1,108 yards receiving. But with Miller and Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery surrounding him in 2012, he dropped off to 787 yards, although he also missed three games.

That drop-off seemed about to continue when Brown had five catches for 71 yards in the opener and caught just two passes for 22 yards in the first half in the second game in Cincinnati. He approached coordinator Todd Haley and expressed his unhappiness over not seeing the ball more.
    Since then, he has been on fire. He averaged six receptions for 61.3 yards through the first two games. Over the past three, he has averaged 113.3 yards and nearly 10 catches a game.

"I just think he gave me more opportunities and put me in position to be successful," Brown said. "Coach Haley is doing a good job of mixing up the formations, getting me inside, moving me a little bit in the slot so guys can't get a bead on me. Those are things we're going to have to do."
    Roethlisberger predicted the other day that things might open up for others because defenses will pay more attention to Brown as his numbers thrive. Brown listed some of what defenses have done to try to thwart him:

"Usually, they assign a guy to press me and a guy to help over top," he said, explaining it as a true double-team where the corner stays with him the whole way, or tries to. "They try to use their hand, strike me, try to get me out of my routes."

Little of it has worked, and Brown continues his march toward what would be Steelers records for receiving yards and receptions.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

and the team is 1-4

the AB lovers on the board are hilarious. As long as he gets his numbers, they are happy.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    and the team is 1-4

the AB lovers on the board are hilarious. As long as he gets his numbers, they are happy.
    At this point, he is the lone bright spot on this offense...

If the others could elevate their respective games to match his, we'd be SB champs...

He deserves props...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

he's playing great, no doubt.

but again, we are 1-4.

it just amuses me the anti wallace crowd continually brings him up even though they profess not to care about him. Its hypocritical but I'm not surprised considering the source.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    At this point, he is the lone bright spot on this offense...

If the others could elevate their respective games to match his, we'd be SB champs...

He deserves props...
    nope... we have to win ever game for AB to get props.

Starter

User Info Menu

Eddie and Ovi, you two need to just get a room. I don't think I've ever seen one post without the other responding. Gotta be love...

Backup

User Info Menu

As soon as I saw the title of the thread...I knew the author.

Against my better judgment I think I agree with him...

Legend

User Info Menu

We are 1-4 not because of Brown or the lack of Wallace.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    We are 1-4 not because of Brown or the lack of Wallace.
    True... but for some reason a lot of people on here think AB's showboating is the reason we are 1-4. The guy is one of the few who gave us a chance in most games. Hell, most games this year have been lost on 2 or 3 plays even though our OL stinks and our D is struggling.

Legend

User Info Menu

The statistical difference between Brown and Wallace is the difference between having Ben Roethlisberger as your quarterback and Ryan Tannehill as your quarterback.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount