Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why a Ben trade would fetch a huge return....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    dub- when you talk of AJ being a good fit for the steelers system, do you mean haleys system?
    I think he could fit in that one but I was thinking more so along the lines of the one Ben got in his rookie year. A more ball controlled offense that throws off of the run. This team needs to get back to running the ball, and everyone in the organization has expressed the desire to do so. Many feel we have the RB now (Le'Veon Bell), add a premier LT like Jake Matthews in the draft and build back this defense and AJ McCarron would do just fine.

Honestly does something like this not look appealing?

1-Jake Matthews LT
    1-Louis Nix II NT
    2-AJ Mccarron QB
    2-Ed Reynolds FS (above average cover man who would compliment Shamarko Thomas for years to come)

Plus CB Patrick Peterson?

Now you have a secondary next year of possibly...

Peterson (CB)--Reynolds (FS)--Polamalu (SS)--Taylor (CB)

to go with a LB core of...

Jones (OLB)--Timmons (ILB)---Williams (ILB)---Woodley (OLB)

And all of them get a huge lift from...

NT Louis Nix

I think AJ McCarron could be exactly what he is for Alabama for the Steelers under circumstances like this.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

What makes you think the Cardinals would want Ben bad enough to pay the price you've suggested (a first and a second from the next draft plus Patrick Peterson)? Their O-line isn't very good...if they acquired Ben, then they would have, as you say, a QB who has taken too many hits who may be on the downside of his career behind shaky protection...a QB who would take up a significant chunk of their salary cap. If drafting a great QB is such an easy thing, why wouldn't they trade up and do that, rather than going for Ben?

Backup

User Info Menu

You don't trade franchise QBs when you don't have one or are in a position to get one. The clowns have been drafting franchise Qbs for a decade... how'd that work out? The Steelers waited over 20 years to find ONE. You don't just trade that away. Also looking at that list of QBs I'm having a hard time finding rings outside of Rodgers. Ben has more rings that all those QBS COMBINED.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    What makes you think the Cardinals would want Ben bad enough to pay the price you've suggested (a first and a second from the next draft plus Patrick Peterson)? Their O-line isn't very good...if they acquired Ben, then they would have, as you say, a QB who has taken too many hits who may be on the downside of his career behind shaky protection...a QB who would take up a significant chunk of their salary cap. If drafting a great QB is such an easy thing, why wouldn't they trade up and do that, rather than going for Ben?
    Very simple. If you are Arizona which would you prefer and which option gives you the best chance to get to a super bowl?

A team with Ben Roethlisberger as your QB and one with out Patrick Peterson?

Or

A team with Patrick Peterson as your CB and one without a franchise QB?

The Cardinals have a lot of pieces in place expect for the most important.....QB. They will overpay for one.

The Cardinals have failed miserably in trying to get a QB and the draft has been one of the ways they have tried to do it. Ben is a much more sure thing than any QB in this draft...and their head coach has won with him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    You don't trade franchise QBs when you don't have one or are in a position to get one. The clowns have been drafting franchise Qbs for a decade... how'd that work out? The Steelers waited over 20 years to find ONE. You don't just trade that away. Also looking at that list of QBs I'm having a hard time finding rings outside of Rodgers. Ben has more rings that all those QBS COMBINED.

Well that isnt the way the NFL see things anymore. The emergence of so many young QB's coming into the league lately who have had immediate returns has changed that old way of thinking.

And the Colts did exactly what you say you don't do.

I think it is ridiculous to ever compare the way the Browns do things as opposed to how the Steelers do things. Their scouting department and player evaluation is far superior to the Browns.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    exactly, that idea makes no sense whatsoever...
    But....can just one person please pay attention to what I am saying here? Just one?

I am saying that the Steelers should consider trading Ben if they get a Hershel Walker return.

And folks I know this is hard to see right now, but if they get that type of return, it can easily and more than likely be the fastest way to turn this franchise around and make them a contender for another 10-12 years.

As much as I love Ben, having him as the QB has not resulted in a championship the past several years. Not even close.Since the loss to Green Bay the Steelers have gone 19-15 (counting the one and down loss to the Broncos in the playoffs). And no matter how you slice it, he is declining in performance and health.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The whole idea is idiotic. Here's why:

As much as I love Ben, having him as the QB has not resulted in a championship the past several years.
    How many other quarterbacks have came and gone or are still out there that haven't been to three Super Bowls, much less win two? Since he hasn't won one in the past "several years" we better get rid of him? What kind of crap is that? What does he have to do? Win a SB every year?

While he's still in his prime (in my opinion), we should trade away a proven SB-winning QB? I guess multiple Super Bowl winning QBs (which happens to be the most important position on the field) just grow on trees?

Makes. Zero. Sense.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Its crazy talk and I think Steeler Nation would storm the FO if they dealt Ben next year.

Has a team ever dealt a multiple SB winning QB for draft picks? I know Favre was dealt but they had Aaron Rodgers on the roster. SF had Steve Young on the roster and I can't think of anyone else.... plus these guys were past their prime and pushing 40.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    The whole idea is idiotic. Here's why:

How many other quarterbacks have came and gone or are still out there that haven't been to three Super Bowls, much less win two? Since he hasn't won one in the past "several years" we better get rid of him? What kind of crap is that? What does he have to do? Win a SB every year?

While he's still in his prime (in my opinion), we should trade away a proven SB-winning QB? I guess multiple Super Bowl winning QBs (which happens to be the most important position on the field) just grow on trees?

Makes. Zero. Sense.
    This isn't about common sense.... this is just another chance to talk about draft picks in Oct.

He's eating one of those cookies... lol

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    The whole idea is idiotic.

Makes. Zero. Sense.
    agree completely.