Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why a Ben trade would fetch a huge return....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    He might have played for the best o-line in college football but I strongly disagree that he wasn't challenged. The SEC teams are challegned almost weekly by stiff competition.
    How hard is it to cut up a secondary when you have all day to do it?
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    You keep speaking about the "toughest schedule" but he played for the best team in all of college football with the best OL in college football. He was never challenged.
    This is not correct. Do you need to see the list of SEC stars on defense that has been coming at AJ McCarron the past 3 1/2 years? Or the list of star DB's he had to throw against? It's just as impressive as the O-lines he's played behind.

Some of you are not understanding that McCarron also gets rid of the ball quickly.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

How hard is it to cut up a secondary when you have all day to do it?
    we all saw that highlight reel. tons of time.. a few tight windows but the majority of the time it was play action to guys who were WIDE open.

Through 6 games Bama has only had one game that was decided by less than 25 points. LOL.. but when you look at the VTech game he was 10/23 for 110. VTech has a great front 4 and they got pressure all day.

This is why so many have a wait and see with AJ... he's only had or 6 close games and he wasn't impressive in 4 of them. I'll give him the LSU game in LSU last year and the A&M game this year but the A&M game was anything but good D.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I think it is a lock the Steelers get at least a top 5 pick this year. What are they looking at 4-12? 5-11? At best 6-10? This is why this is the time to do this.

Again, I will bet a grip of money that after this season is over, there will be a lot of Steeler fans seeing this topic differently.
    Those records could be where they end up. If the Ravens beat them this Sunday...I think it takes a turn for the worst. If you are sitting in the Top 10...That is usually the time you pull the trigger on a franchise QB or LT. No matter what happens...You still don't move BB until you know you have his replacement. Personally, I think BB has enough tread on the tires that the Steelers will not look at QB and may go the franchise LT, shutdown CB, or WR. This MAY be that draft where there are 5 1st round QBs & everyone is crawling all over each other in the Top 10 to get "their guy". The Steelers could end up picking up multiple picks by moving around 2-3 spots and get a player who will make an immediate impact. It just might be the case of getting BB another weapon or protecting his blindside for a final run.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    we all saw that highlight reel. tons of time.. a few tight windows but the majority of the time it was play action to guys who were WIDE open.

Through 6 games Bama has only had one game that was decided by less than 25 points. LOL.. but when you look at the VTech game he was 10/23 for 110. VTech has a great front 4 and they got pressure all day.

This is why so many have a wait and see with AJ... he's only had or 6 close games and he wasn't impressive in 4 of them. I'll give him the LSU game in LSU last year and the A&M game this year but the A&M game was anything but good D.
    When your highlight reel is filled with wide open WRs, all day to pass and yet you still have a propensity to throw high...rarely hitting the WRs in the hands at chest level...well I think that allows some doubt to keep in about your abilities. It doesn't matter what DBs he played against, if he has all day to throw to wide open WRs.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When your highlight reel is filled with wide open WRs, all day to pass and yet you still have a propensity to throw high...rarely hitting the WRs in the hands at chest level...well I think that allows some doubt to keep in about your abilities. It doesn't matter what DBs he played against, if he has all day to throw to wide open WRs.
    Come on Shawn be fair. McCarron is a near 69% passer this year. You dont get that by throwing the ball high all the time. And say what you want, I find what he is doing far more impressive than what Teddy Bridgewater does versus Ohio, Eastern Kentucky, Florida International, etc.,etc.

For the record, Bridgewater is at 67.7% for his college career and McCarron is at 67.1% for his.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

dub- when you talk of AJ being a good fit for the steelers system, do you mean haleys system?

Legend

User Info Menu

and what if the QB slated to go in the 1st round this year end up like the 2011 list.

find out they aren't any good in 2-3 years and start over...we've seen that cycle before. the era from bradshaw to ben

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    QBs taken rounds 1 and 2 last 9 years:

EJ Manuel
    Geno Smith

Andrew Luck
    Robert Griffin III
    Ryan Tannehill
    Brandon Weeden
    Brock Osweiler

Cam Newton
    Jake Locker
    Blaine Gabbert
    Christian Ponder
    Andy Dalton
    Colin Kaepernick

Sam Bradford
    Tim Tebow
    Jimmy Clausen

Matthew Stafford
    Mark Sanchez
    Josh Freeman
    Pat White

Matt Ryan
    Joe Flacco
    Brian Brohm
    Chad Henne

JaMarcus Russell
    Brady Quinn
    Kevin Kolb
    John Beck
    Drew Stanton

Vince Young
    Matt Leinert
    Jay Cutler
    Kellen Clemens
    Tarvaris Jackson

Alex Smith
    Aaron Rogers
    Jason Campbell

”?
    good lord, that percentage is awful.

take an impact player, sure up the OL. maybe taking a franchise LT in the draft (when is the last time we've had one?...if ever) or other impact player and go from there. its not like this team doesnt have talent

maybe hope for an RG3 type trade from a team looking to move up to grab a QB like the skins did

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Personally I think Hundley, Mettenberger, and McCarron, can all play with in the Steelers system and play immediately or real close to it.

AJ McCarron may not be your next big thing but he is about to win BCS National Championship #3, having played in probably the toughest schedule (conference), any college QB has ever played in (over his entire college career), and having done so without making hardly any mistakes, also having played his best football in college football's biggest games.
    Going into the year I never would have dreamed having this discussion. After the first 3 games I did think about it and even started a thread about jumping on the Bridgewater bandwagon. Now I don't follow college football enough to know all the QBs that will be available in this next draft so I just went with the one getting the most hype at the time.

My whole premise was we aren't very good and it might be time to abandon the high priced vets, trade who we can (Ben, Pouncey) for draft picks and prepare for the growing pains of having a young football team. Yes, I was looking at Indy as a model. It's not that Ben isn't good anymore. It's that the team isn't good enough to take advantage of Ben's talents and by the time they are Ben might not still have those abilities.

So ask yourself the question ... Is it worth it continuing on the same path fighting the salary cap and watching some younger talented players walk out the door and maybe be competitive or do we blow things up now and hope we draft the right young players?
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!