Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why a Ben trade would fetch a huge return....

Legend

User Info Menu

I do agree with Dee Dub on this - the Steelers are definitely not one or two players away from being good. Heck, they are 2 players away at least on the o-line alone.

It won't happen but there are 10 college QB's who will get first round considerations from NFL teams:

Teddy Bridgewater- Louisville
    Marcus Mariota - Oregon
    Johnny Manziel, - A&M
    Brett Hundley - UCLA
    Tajh Boyd -Clemson
    AJ McCarron - Bama
    Zach Mettenberger LSU
    Aaron Murray - UGA
    Derek Carr – Fresno St
    David Fales – San Jose St

You'd have to be in a position to get the young QB you think could develop rather quickly AND get a TON of players/draft choices for Ben for this to be anything more than a fleeting internet thought.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Brady hasn't taken the hits Ben has taken. Manning hasn't taken the hits Ben has taken. Ben doesn't have the same on the field life expectancy as most QBs due to a poor OL and play style.
    Neither of those guys are as big or as tough as Ben.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I could consider such a trade but no other team is going to give us that kind of a return for Ben.
    I do not agree. Teams will go hard after Ben if the know he is available. There are several teams with many of the pieces in place except for the most important...QB. And as we see with Josh Freeman already being thrown into the starting role at Minnesota, teams are desperate to win and win now.

Minnesota
    Cleveland
    Arizona
    Houston
    St. Louis
    Tampa Bay
    Chicago
    Tennessee

...and when they realize that ________________ (insert name), isn't going to win them a super bowl....

San Francisco?
    Detroit?
    Dallas?
    Philadelphia?
    San Diego?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Let me see if I can take something that looks insane on the surface...buff it up, shine it and then present it as something just a little less insane.

I'm not saying I agree, BUT I do understand the logic.

Ben being 32 has limited NFL life left in him. He has taken many many hits, and if he is VERY lucky has a max of 6 seasons left. His body has been beat to pieces. More than likely you start to see a serious fall off with Ben sooner rather than later...if we haven't already seen the beginning of it.

So Dee is suggesting we get some serious reload loot for a guy who very well could be in the twilight of his career.
    Right Shawn, but you would think die hard Steeler fans would know this and it doesnt need to be shined up.

I would actually be on board for this if there was an Andrew Luck type of QB in the draft this year. IMO, this is a weak year for QBs...with Bridgewater being the only guy I would consider as my possible franchise type QB. AJ might be good, but far from a sure thing. There is no one else. And there is the problem with the logic. There is no one out there that can replace Ben on any level.

As for 6 QBs in the first...I think 5 is possible. But most are system QBs. The only guy I think that has the talent to carry a team is Manziel, and who wants that circus?
    This is where you and I disagree. First of all in my opinion, Teddy Bridgewater isn't the best QB in this draft when all of the "IT" factors are added up. I think when it is all said and done, not only does he win the Heisman, but he is head and shoulders above all the rest, when all the things that make a number 1 prospect get added up, and that is Marcus Mariota. And then not too far behind him is Brett Hundley. Both of these two do all that Bridgewater does but are much bigger and have stronger arms. And dont look now, but Zach Mettenberger is gaining major steam. He has more prototypical NFL "IT" stuff than Bridgewater.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    [URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9834228/minnesota-vikings-start-josh-freeman-qb-vs-new-york-giants[/URL]

Teams are frickin desperate for a legitimate QB!!
    That is why you don't trade one. It is equally as hard to get inside the Top 10 to get one and hope you don't miss. BB has 4-5 good years left. I don't put as much weight on "taking hits" as the gullible public. When I see something that has an effect on his arm or head...Then I will start worrying. You want to consider the possibility of making a trade like this...You have one sitting in the wings you are sure of. The Steelers don't. Until that happens...This talk is just to pass the time.

Legend

User Info Menu

You and I can agree on Mariotta. He is intriguing. But, I don't see a guy here that in my mind is a sure thing. And when you are dumping a franchise QB...you need to have hope that there is a young guy there that can replace him. I'm not sure any from this draft have that IT quality. Bridgewater is my favorite, with Manziel right behind him.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    So you propose trading your legitimate QB, and becoming one of the teams that are desperate?
    Thank you for some semblance of common sense.

I am always open to listen to any offer for any player, but I am not open to an offer for a franchise QB when you don't get one in return, unless you are deciding to blow it all up and rebuild from the ground up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Thank you for some semblance of common sense.

I am always open to listen to any offer for any player, but I am not open to an offer for a franchise QB when you don't get one in return, unless you are deciding to blow it all up and rebuild from the ground up.
    I agree... giving up Hershel Walker isn't that big of a deal IMO and Dallas definitely got the most out of that trade. You can trade RB's all day but franchise QB's?? You really have to pick the perfect QB moving forward in order for it to work and I'm pretty sure Dub want's AJ.

Sorry but I don't see AJ as the next big thing in the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Go back the past 9 years. Never, ever, has there been this many QB's drafted who have come into the league and made immediate impacts. But to your point, the amount of 1st and 2nd rounders who were expected to be good in the NFL, and what they have meant to many franchises, out weigh those who didn't pan out.

Look at it yourself.

[URL="http://www.drafthistory.com"]www.drafthistory.com[/URL]
    QBs taken rounds 1 and 2 last 9 years:

EJ Manuel
    Geno Smith

Andrew Luck
    Robert Griffin III
    Ryan Tannehill
    Brandon Weeden
    Brock Osweiler

Cam Newton
    Jake Locker
    Blaine Gabbert
    Christian Ponder
    Andy Dalton
    Colin Kaepernick

Sam Bradford
    Tim Tebow
    Jimmy Clausen

Matthew Stafford
    Mark Sanchez
    Josh Freeman
    Pat White

Matt Ryan
    Joe Flacco
    Brian Brohm
    Chad Henne

JaMarcus Russell
    Brady Quinn
    Kevin Kolb
    John Beck
    Drew Stanton

Vince Young
    Matt Leinert
    Jay Cutler
    Kellen Clemens
    Tarvaris Jackson

Alex Smith
    Aaron Rogers
    Jason Campbell

True, many of these picks have made “immediate impacts”…but how many really panned out as long-term starting NFL quarterback talent? And more importantly, how many of them really could be classified as “franchise quarterbacks”?

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow.. a lot of those QB's are out of the league or holding clipboards.