Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Props to Vince Williams

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Williams is doing just fine considering the circumstances.
    THIS! It's a shame, but we have been programmed to expect "instant gratification". Rather than let a guy drafted in the lower rounds grow into the player he will be, we all expect him to be Kendrell Bell right out of the box ... a lot of times, the higher drafted guys wash out and the lower drafted guys progress ... let's see if Williams progresses before we throw him in the trash based upon his draft status.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    The same thing goes for Harrison, right? Oh yea... he wasn't drafted. Or Tom Brady, right... oh nevermind. This whole draft status thing doesn't seem to be working well.

Foote is average at best without the Steelers goggles on. Our crappy swiss cheese run defense is more on the d-line than the linebackers. Our NT play is "below the line" and Hood is a joke.

Williams is doing just fine considering the circumstances.
    You are looking at it in a vacuum (Foote vs. Williams, in which case I still wouldn't prefer Williams right now). You don't see the potential for disaster, having two rookies starting in your LB corps, alongside a first-year starter at NT and newly appointed LDE? Of all of those other wet-behind-the-ears players, Vince Williams is the least of whom I would have wanted to give a chance to this season.

Under those circumtances (lots of new guys starting), I would MUCH rather have a 10-year veteran working in their midst than a 6th rounder.

Legend

User Info Menu

Vince Williams has shown a bit as a rookie 6th rounder. He's not a complete player at the point, but he's not disgraceful either. Add to the the struggles of the DL & he has excuses for his miscues.

Larry Foote made a career out of making the best of what ability he had. Not sure why there is so much venom against him. He was given the oportunity to leave for Detroit because the Steelers wanted Timmons on the field. Foote is a starter quality player, and the Steelers gave him an opportunity to find a place to start.

Steelers ILB in a zone blitz D will only ever be as good as the 3 DL let them be. Timmons is having a 'down' year, if you like. No coincidence it comes when the DL can't hold the blockers at bay.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Vince Williams has shown a bit as a rookie 6th rounder. He's not a complete player at the point, but he's not disgraceful either. Add to the the struggles of the DL & he has excuses for his miscues.

Larry Foote made a career out of making the best of what ability he had. Not sure why there is so much venom against him. He was given the oportunity to leave for Detroit because the Steelers wanted Timmons on the field. Foote is a starter quality player, and the Steelers gave him an opportunity to find a place to start.

Steelers ILB in a zone blitz D will only ever be as good as the 3 DL let them be. Timmons is having a 'down' year, if you like. No coincidence it comes when the DL can't hold the blockers at bay.
    But if we compare apples to apples, it took Larry Foote 3 years to become a starter. So at this stage, Vince Williams is light years ahead of him......just sayin.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Rookie

User Info Menu

In his rookie year, Larry Foote started a playoff game for us.

Why? The same reason Vince Williams is starting now: injuries...

Legend

User Info Menu

Vince Williams has so far played one game at an acceptable level. He was awful earlier this year. Hopefully he'll keep developing, but I'd like to see a second game where he is not a liability before annointing him as the solution.

Foote was not great, but he was steady. Not everybody on your team can be a star, and Foote certainly was not a star, but he was a steady guy who played a role on a lot of very good defenses.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Williams has shown impressive closing burst. He has the speed to compete at this level. His level of play increases with his experience. That is a very good sign. I think he is an offseason weight room program and 11 starts away from erasing the "6th round" pick label. If Spence does beat the odds & can return to form...The Steelers look very deep inside.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Williams has shown impressive closing burst. He has the speed to compete at this level. His level of play increases with his experience. That is a very good sign. I think he is an offseason weight room program and 11 starts away from erasing the "6th round" pick label. If Spence does beat the odds & can return to form...The Steelers look very deep inside.

Agreed JPN. His burst is what separates him from Foote, the other parts of his game are mental and will improve. I like what I saw in the last game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I'm just curious (not trying to make a point)... What made this guy, from a NFL prospect factory like FSU, with speed and talent as many say, slide to the sixth round in the draft? He didn't even warrant a write up in PFW's well-known draft guide. Was it an injury concern? Was it something off-field?

Because to me, it doesn't add up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I'm just curious (not trying to make a point)... What made this guy, from a NFL prospect factory like FSU, with speed and talent as many say, slide to the sixth round in the draft? He didn't even warrant a write up in PFW's well-known draft guide. Was it an injury concern? Was it something off-field?

Because to me, it doesn't add up.
    at FSU, Vince Williams come off the field on passing downs.

no one wants to draft a 2-down ILB very high...