Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Props to Vince Williams

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

In the first 4 games we saw a major drop off in lack of run support up the middle. Much of it you can blame on the below average DL but I would take an experienced Foote over Williams right now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Since when is a "major contributor" a perennial pro-bowler?? That seems like different things to me.
    Thats the disconnect... lol.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Even if the guy leads his team multiple times in tackles you guys spin it as a negative and find a reason why the stats don't tell the whole story. Of course they don't - but Foote's been a major contributor to this team. You guys are a joke.

Of course, Foote is no Farrior, but you guys did the same thing to Farrior at the end of his career. You have Foote and Farrior - two middle guys on a number of the #1 rushing D's of all time they are sham-ockery?
    100% The only reason Foote went to Detroit was because of his personal desire to play for his hometown team. We granted him his wish. Then when it didn't work out, we invited him back. I would put him on par with Kiesel, not a lot of splash plays, but the production was there. Now, with him out of the middle, how do we look on run defense? Points allowed? There has been a significant dropoff from a long run of great success. Not saying its all him but he has been a regular contributor to a successful squad, something todays heros can only say for one game now. Next spring, Foote will get every opportunity to compete with Spence for the starting position. Probably wont stick around if he doesn't get it.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Foote has done nothing else over his career other than proving the nay sayers wrong. H$ll he just missed one of his first games due to injury.

Is he getting up in age? Yes. But in 2012 he had 113 tackles to lead the team. That's a big dropoff no matter who comes in unless it's Ray Lewis.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Take it for what its worth. Farrior was a great player but he was showing his age. It happens. Foote in his prime was just an average guy that needed to play alongside someone above average whether that be a Farrior or Timmons. Nothing more.. nothing less. We are not seeing much of a drop off, if any, with Williams starting and that tells you all you need to know about Foote at this point in his career.
    Foote had the best season of his CAREER without Farrior next to him. And Timmons hasn't scratched Farrior's jock yet thus far in his career. Timmons DID have a good season last year though. But Timmons still gets to play with all of his draft hype.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

vince williams hasn't impressed me that much.

hope he can improve, but he has a long way to go before he can even be mentioned with larry foote who takes a comical amount of abuse here.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Foote led the Lions D in tackles in 2009.

The least you could do is get your facts straight...
    Guys with agendas don't like facts.... Foote had 3 less tackles than Farrior that season.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well Farrior has been great for a long time and Foote developed more slowly so he has fewer years of solid contribution.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Holy cow. PUMP the brakes on Williams. The guy plays one decent game, and we're already signaling his arrival. The guy has a LONG way to go, to prove he is even a serviceable starter. Remember, we've been a sieve on D for the better part of this year. He was a part of that. A pretty large part.

I would actually agree with steelz09, if instead of Williams we were talking a healthy Spence. Or some other young guy. Foote is a place-warmer, at this point in his solid career. But I don't think Williams is much of a prospect, and not in the short-term especially. Williams is likely a future nobody, if his draft position is any indication (And coming from Florida State as a LB, I think his draft position is a pretty good indication.) I don't feel great about giving precious game time, to some guy with limited potential.

Administrator

User Info Menu

The same thing goes for Harrison, right? Oh yea... he wasn't drafted. Or Tom Brady, right... oh nevermind. This whole draft status thing doesn't seem to be working well.

Foote is average at best without the Steelers goggles on. Our crappy swiss cheese run defense is more on the d-line than the linebackers. Our NT play is "below the line" and Hood is a joke.

Williams is doing just fine considering the circumstances.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.