Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Props to Vince Williams

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

After the goal line TD by the Bears, I thought Vince played with some fire. Does it really matter where he went to school and in what round he was drafted? I'm all for getting younger and with this season in peril, this is a great time to see what we have in Williams. He wouldn't be getting this experience and exposure with a healthy Foote. This will give the FO a indication if ILB is high on the draft priorities.

I think the comparisons to a vet like Foote are hard to do. Would he be a bigger asset this year in the defense? Yea, probably because he's a veteran to the league and with the team. On the other hand, not once have I thought to myself this year, "Oh man if only Foote was in there". Its a wash imo. Next year, let them fight it out in camp and the coaches will decide.

I wouldn't even play Spence this year. Why risk it? He's worked hard enough to get back, I would make triple sure he's ready to go. Yes......triple sure. You know how hard those pre-game warm ups are. Just ask Levi.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    at FSU, Vince Williams come off the field on passing downs.

no one wants to draft a 2-down ILB very high...
    He was replaced by a DB ... not another LB.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

If Williams was behind Casey I have no doubt he would be better than Foote. I remember Foote consistently getting ran over by Rbs for a 5-7 yd gains over and over, BUT he made the tackle.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Larry Foote made a career out of making the best of what ability he had. Not sure why there is so much venom against him. He was given the oportunity to leave for Detroit because the Steelers wanted Timmons on the field. Foote is a starter quality player, and the Steelers gave him an opportunity to find a place to start.
    I agree with you on Foote, Chadman. I don't get all the hate that was directed towards Foote. He was never an all-pro, but he was a solid veteran who was a key part of a successful defense for a long time.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I agree with you on Foote, Chadman. I don't get all the hate that was directed towards Foote. He was never an all-pro, but he was a solid veteran who was a key part of a successful defense for a long time.
    In general, why is it that criquing a Steeler player or coach is always directing "hate". I don't hate Foote and I don't dispute the fact that he's been consistent for us over the years. He's was never an all-pro but I don't think anyone expected him to be. I also don't see the guy as being someone that should be that hard to replace. If he is, then I'm even more concerned about our ability to develop talent.

Vince Williams may turn out to be a Foote-type of player... maybe better... maybe worse. The whole intent of this thread was to give some credit to the guy for his solid performance last game. This week might be a different story... who knows. With that being said... I agree with thor75 in that, I've never said to myself: "Oh man if only Foote was in there".
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.