Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 64

Thread: No more flips into ez

  1. #51
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,110
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    So let me get this straight... your ok with things as long as they don't have a negative result even if it's bad practice? It's easy to say that because hindsight is 20/20

    So, if Sanders dropped the ball in mid-air causing a touchback and no TD... you have a problem with it.

    If he doesn't then you don't. I get it.

    I guess the same thing can be said for poor ball security. If our players have poor ball security and they don't fumble 90% of the time then your cool with it up until that 1 fumble that costs us a game... then it's a problem. Wouldn't it make more sense to not play russian roulette and simply cut out the possibility of something bad happening?

    Are you ok with stealing because it's ok until you get caught?

    Are you ok with cheating because it's ok until you get caught?

    I'm not sure I'm following your train of thought.
    Stealing and cheating? No wonder you can't follow my train of thought.. way too sensational with that reach. lol.

    flipping isn't cheating.. flipping isn't stealing...

    flipping is a celebration... and while I don't love it I tolerate it.

  2. #52
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,206
    Wow, this has turned into an interesting discussion. Put me in the "do not like" column regarding the me first celebrations. The problem I have is that the NFL really forced this on the players. Remember when the team could celebrate after scoring a TD? I thought that was fun and good entertainment but it seemed the powers that be in the No Fun League thought otherwise. They outlawed the group celebrations so the players found a way to celebrate by themselves.

    If I recall correctly the first time I remember an annoying celebration from an individual it was Mark Gastineau. He had that stupid sack dance which I think the NFL did outlaw. White dude if I remember correctly. Maybe this isn't a 'Black culture' thing ... maybe it's an 'Italian culture' thing.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  3. #53
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,462
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Stealing and cheating? No wonder you can't follow my train of thought.. way too sensational with that reach. lol.

    flipping isn't cheating.. flipping isn't stealing...

    flipping is a celebration... and while I don't love it I tolerate it.
    So your ok with poor ball security as long as they don't fumble the majority of the time? Wouldn't it make sense to simply secure the ball to further cut the odds of fumbling instead?

  4. #54
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,110
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    So your ok with poor ball security as long as they don't fumble the majority of the time? Wouldn't it make sense to simply secure the ball to further cut the odds of fumbling instead?
    I'll use Mendenhall because his SB fumble was costly but IMO it was due to getting crushed by 2 guys behind the LOS. Perfect example...

    people always complained about Mendenhall's poor ball security but if you look at the 3 full seasons where he played 16 games for us he had a total of 6 fumbles... a 2 fumble per year average.

    Adrian Peterson averages 4 fumbles a year...
    Marshawn Lynch averages 2.3 fumbles per year...
    Arian Foster.. 3.6 fumbles a year...
    Jamaal Charles.. 3.4 fumbles a year...

    *I only used the years where they played 16 games to get these averages*

    Now I understand these other RB's may have more touches or may not be considered the best ball security guys... oh wait, If they aren't considered great ball security RB's I wonder why they are still considered the best of the bunch? Hmm...

    If I have a talented RB who is more comfortable holding the ball with a little less security because he feels more comfortable I wouldn't be all that concerned with it if he doesn't fumble that often. Could it cut down on fumbles? Maybe, maybe not. The other guys get paid too... If my RB feels like holding it high and tight will limit his agility and stop him from being awesome then yep... I'm OK with it because it doesn't happen that often.

    (of course I will still be upset anytime he fumbles but it's football, it happens)

    That would be like telling Ben to stop extending plays because he could get hurt or fumble... it's part of what makes him awesome so while I would love for him to never get hit, cough up the ball or throw a crazy INT I understand it's part of the game. You hear coaches say it all the time.

    I don't want to change how (insert players name) plays the game because it's what makes him special... however, I would like him to yada, yada, yada (no one listens or cares about the rest because it's just fluff.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 10-17-2013 at 03:39 PM.

  5. #55
    Pro Bowler eniparadoxgma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kensucky
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    If you see no difference between a guy doing a hand gesture after a TD and a guy doing full on front flips after a TD, or a guy doing nothing after an 8 yard first down vs. a guy stomping down field away from his team holding the ball out and going nuts for a simple first down then that is fine. There is a difference between celebrating in a normal manner at an appropriate time, and going completely over the top, and I think that is pretty apparent. I'd say I'm a realist, not a racist.
    The problem with your reasoning here is that more white guys would be doing full on front flips after a TD if they were easier for them to do. It's all about fast twitch muscle fiber.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

  6. #56
    Pro Bowler eniparadoxgma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kensucky
    Posts
    2,078
    My issue with Brown's constant first down celebrations is that a first down isn't a big enough accomplishment to warrant it unless there's some kind of mitigating factor involved. If it's a first down that seals a win, I can understand it. If it's a hard fought first down that involves some kind of ludicrous playmaking ability, I can probably get on board. The problem as I see it, is that he does it every. friggin. time. While we're losing, while we're winning, regardless of the situation: Every friggin time.

    TD celebrations are understandable to me. It's a touchdown. Even sack celebrations that aren't too "out there" are understandable to me because they don't happen every game. While first downs are obviously a good thing, they should be rather commonplace. To me, it's a question of where the line is drawn in regards as to when something is appropriate to celebrate and when it isn't. I believe the line to be drawn on the other side of most first downs. That's it. To me it doesn't make sense. Save the celebrations for things worth celebrating.

    Also, what if this trend continues? Someone rushes for 2 yards then gets up and starts doing the cabbage patch? We successfully snap the ball and the center starts breakdancing?
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

  7. #57
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,110
    Brown is consistent. Every first down.. its coming.

  8. #58
    Pro Bowler eniparadoxgma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kensucky
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Brown is consistent. Every first down.. its coming.
    I have no idea what your point is. It happening every first down is kind of the problem in my opinion.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

  9. #59
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    2,004
    Browns first down routine doesn't bother me at all.
    The tumblesault into the EZ does

  10. #60
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,110
    Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    I have no idea what your point is. It happening every first down is kind of the problem in my opinion.
    Whats the problem? Who does it hurt... how does it impact the team negatively?
    Last edited by feltdizz; 10-17-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •