Thread: Black Lining to a Silver Cloud

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Black Lining to a Silver Cloud

I know its time to be happy...and most of the Chicken Little Club has gone into remission...so for once Ill go against the grain and be the devils advocate. Despite our victory, we continue to have trouble putting the ball in the end zone, ending up with 4 field goals. Still hoping Bellcow can be the guy to lead us to the promised land in that regard...or Moye? I think this is a lack of scheme which puts the blame squarely on the shoulders of OC Haley...and Tomlin as the head coach, cause he is the leader out there. Also Colbert and the FO have not done a very good job of stocking the team with red zone playmakers. Finally, what is wrong with Ben if he can only get us into the end zone on a lucky 'hail mary' of a toss over the heads of the defenders when one had probably slipped. Why cant he ever just drive us right down the field and into the end zone using a mix of run/pass like every other NFL club can do. Im not saying that Im an NFL caliber coach or strategist but I just cant understand why it continues to be so difficult for us to just put the ball over the goal line!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know nobody cares about rankings, but for giggles I'll mention that the Jets had the #2 ranked D in the NFL going in to the game yesterday. That's just to say that it might be harder to get it into the EZ against them than against most other teams.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Brown dropped a TD as well, so there were multiple factors which you could point to which don't exactly indict the play-calling or "scheme".
    Nobody slipped on that Sanders TD. It was single coverage on a 3rd and 2 and you could tell that Cromartie was expecting for him to cut his route off. It was actually a great play call. Risky, but calculated.
    Where your argument holds merit with me is with our running game. We aren't getting a whole lot of push up front and I think the run game has shown a lack of creativity and balance. If we can get this run game going a little better, I think we'll be a lot more versatile in the red zone and sustain more drives to get there in the first place.

Rookie

User Info Menu

If they somehow trade Sanders, I'd hope that Wheaton and Moye get more PT...and, I was happy with the run game overall in the 2nd half...61 yards and closing the game out looked good...

Starter

User Info Menu

That "hail mary" pass as you called it was a perfectly executed play-action pass, setup by running plays to Bell.

The running stats were not good in this game, but they pounded it enough to make the Jets bite on a few fakes. One was TD to Sanders, one was 15+yd catch by AB, and another was a PI call against AB. That's what having a legit RB in the backfield will do for you. No one is scared of Dwyer or Redman, but Bell, even in his second NFL game seems to inspire a bit of fear in opposing defenses.

Legend

User Info Menu

lucky hail mary pass? Sounds like the OP didn't watch the game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steel you do not know what you say.
    It was a PA pass to Sanders, not a Hail Mary.
    Our troubles havn't been fixed by a long shot.
    Only thing that we didn't do was turn over the rock.
    That is why we won.
    The ST play continues to be mediocre.
    We couldn't run the ball consistently(albeit against a good solid run defense)
    Ben still got sacked
    We were penalized at the most inoppurtune times
    Stuggled in the Redzone

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    That "hail mary" pass as you called it was a perfectly executed play-action pass, setup by running plays to Bell.

The running stats were not good in this game, but they pounded it enough to make the Jets bite on a few fakes. One was TD to Sanders, one was 15+yd catch by AB, and another was a PI call against AB. That's what having a legit RB in the backfield will do for you. No one is scared of Dwyer or Redman, but Bell, even in his second NFL game seems to inspire a bit of fear in opposing defenses.
    All right, you guys got me. I wasn't too serious about my criticisms, just trying to fill the void of all the naysayers this week with the usual collection of talking points. Its everyone's fault...you know. Anyway, from the responses received, sounds like I did OK. The next step in the progression would be to start turning some of those FGs into TDs. Again, I assert Bell can be that man, and perhaps Moye can start contributing in that fashion as well.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.