Thread: Rules question I think

Rookie

User Info Menu

Rules question I think

Ok, Maybe I just don't have the correct information, but I am hoping one of you good Steeler's Faithful can help me.

SO... It is the 2nd quarter with 0:11 seconds left...Geno Smith makes a pass to Steven Hill. Hill catched the ball, gets absolutely drilled by Polamalu, drags on foot and his opposite hand on the turf. After review, they play is upheld as a completion. However, the clock stops. If his foot and hand are in bounds (which it sure seems to have been), shouldn't Hill have been down by contact...in Bounds? If this is the case, shouldnt the clock have been running directly after the ref made his decision? Or does this come with a free clock stoppage? The play ended with 0:06 seconds left I think. Yet the Jets were allowed to kick a field goal with a stopped clock? Something doesnt seem right here. Either he was in bounds and the clock should have ran....or he was out and it would have stopped. Thoughts?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum... His hand came down inbounds, which confirmed the catch. But hand and foot are not down by contact. Then his elbow hit out of bounds. So he went out and the clock stopped.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Rookie

User Info Menu

gotcha

Gotcha...I figured I must have missed something....I Didnt see his elbow come down OOB.

Thanks for the clarification

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Welcome to the forum... His hand came down inbounds, which confirmed the catch. But hand and foot are not down by contact. Then his elbow hit out of bounds. So he went out and the clock stopped.
    The other part of it that people are talking about suggests the call was *not correct: it wasn't just the foot and hand that came down in bounds, it was the foot and *wrist/arm. That part of the body makes him down by contact in the field of play, so the clock should have kept running.

The announcers actually said this part early in their discussion, then got verbally diverted by some shiny baubles and forgot all about that, and didn't follow up.

"Ooh, shiny!".

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I kind of think at that point, its really splitting hairs. Unless the forearm is curved, any part of the arm touching would be nearly simultaneous with the elbow touching. I have seen MUCH more egregiously blown calls than that one all the time....we cant get'em all!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The other problem with the call is that the receiver was hurt. The Jets were out of timeouts so in effect they were given a 4th timeout which is a penalty and results in a 10 second run off. The half should have ended with that play.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!