Thread: Need help finding a stat...

Legend

User Info Menu

Need help finding a stat...

Hey guys.

I keep hearing about all of the sacks that Ben Roethlisberger causes by holding onto the ball too long. Every week I hear things like "They sacked him 4 times, but three of those were on Ben".

So I tried to look up the stat for "QB caused sacks" but could not find it. Surely Ben cannot be the only QB in the league who earns this stat. No other QB in the NFL ever holds onto the ball longer than he could have, and then gets sacked?

Then I figured that I would find it grouped with the stat "QB plays made after he should have been sacked"...but I couldn't find that one either. Surely they must go hand in hand, because if a QB is just holding onto the ball for too long without any potential upside then there is no point in keeping him - he will never win a thing in this league.

I then realized that it probably is not a stat that is recorded, because every time I hear fans complain about the sacks that Ben takes for no good reason, I never hear them mention any plays he makes after he should have been sacked. Hmmm.

Then I finally realized that the whole stat is probably non-existent because only one QB in the NFL is ever responsible for his own sacks. So that brought me to one final stat question.

Do NFL defenders get credit for a sack when they take down Roethlisberger? After all, he is the one who causes them.

Legend

User Info Menu

No need to keep a stat on that.
    While i love Ben and believe he is the rock on this team, he does hold the ball at times too long.
    Anyone who watches the games can see this with their own 2 eyes.
    While of course we love the big plays Ben makes while scrambling back there, we cringe when he takes a sack that takes us out of
    -a 3rd and short
    -FG range

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A better stat would be how quick does Ben release the ball. They did Payton a couple of weeks ago and he average like 1.9 secs. Ben is probable in the 4s
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    A better stat would be how quick does Ben release the ball. They did Payton a couple of weeks ago and he average like 1.9 secs. Ben is probable in the 4s
    Agreed...that would be a better stat to research.

Ben is not responsible for all of the sacks he takes, but certainly his fair share...It is the way he plays the game. He is always looking to extend the play...make something out of nothing...

We take the good with the bad and hope that there is more good than bad...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    That's Leftwich territory
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.