Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heyward

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    That's a bad example. Haggans started off the season with a sack in the first 3 games. Then got hurt and Harrison came in and played well. Again, that was just 1 year and the Steelers ended up winning the Superbowl that year
    It is a GREAT example showing that your "it was not Harrison's natural position" reasoning is not valid. Harrison has a skillset that is suitable for either side. He excelled in either role. There was an opening on the right when Porter departed, so Harrison started opposite Haggins who remained on the left side. Had Haggins left and Porter remained, Harrison would have been on the left. When Woodley (who is definitely a left side ONLY guy) replaced Haggins a year later versatile Harrison stayed on the right.

BC (who I like BTW) did not start Harrison because he underestimated his ability.

My point is not to bash BC but to show that ALL coaches sometimes underestimate players.

Dont like THAT linebacker example?

How bout Mike Vrabel who languished on our bench until he because a key figure on those Pats championship teams?
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 10-14-2013 at 02:36 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    It is a GREAT example showing that your "it was not Harrison's natural position" reasoning is not valid. Harrison has a skillset that is suitable for either side. He excelled in either role. There was an opening on the right when Porter departed, so Harrison started opposite Haggins who remained on the left side. Had Haggins left and Porter remained, Harrison would have been on the left. When Woodley (who is definitely a left side ONLY guy) replaced Haggins a year later versatile Harrison stayed on the right.

BC (who I like BTW) did not start Harrison because he underestimated his ability.

My point is not to bash BC but to show that ALL coaches sometimes underestimate players.

Dont like THAT linebacker example?

How bout Mike Vrabel who languished on our bench until he because a key figure on those Pats championship teams?
    Vrabel was probably Cowher's biggest miss in evaluation, and he is the only guy I can think of who did not play with the Steelers and went on to excel elsewhere.

As for Harrison, he was underestimated by everybody. No way the Steelers would have spent their first 2 picks on guys originally projected as OLBers if the FO and coaching staff believed that Harrison was the guy for the job.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Vrabel was probably Cowher's biggest miss in evaluation, and he is the only guy I can think of who did not play with the Steelers and went on to excel elsewhere.

As for Harrison, he was underestimated by everybody. No way the Steelers would have spent their first 2 picks on guys originally projected as OLBers if the FO and coaching staff believed that Harrison was the guy for the job.
    While true my point to Sid who lays all evaluation blame on the head coach, if you are going to do that, you gotta do that with misses like Harrison during the Cowher era too.

While he did draft 2 linebackers, Tomlin certainly had no basis for confidence that Harrison could replace Porter based on seeing how BC used him.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 10-14-2013 at 03:24 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wasn't Harrison also cut by the Ravens?

And Vrabel was only successful in New England because they cheated.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    Wasn't Harrison also cut by the Ravens?

And Vrabel was only successful in New England because they cheated.
    yes, he was.

and good point about Vrabel, it's a lot easier to do well on an exam when you already have the answers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    The same Harrison that Cowher cut twice... What a surprise.

so because cowher made mistakes you advocate and support tomlin doing the same?.....brilliant

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    so because cowher made mistakes you advocate and support tomlin doing the same?.....brilliant
    No it just give prospective when some people act like BC NEVER had a miss.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Mark Kaboly @MarkKaboly_Trib:

Cam Heyward had 6 QB hurries/pressures against Jets. Now leads Steelers with 15

[URL]https://twitter.com/intent/user?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.steelers fever.com%2Findex.php&screen_name=MarkKaboly_Trib& tw_i=390186188620836864&tw_p=embeddedtimeline&tw_w =375267619680440320[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Kudos to Cam....
    About time these idiots realized Ziggy "skates" Hood is not a fit for this team.
    Now just let Fangupo dress for a FN game and lets see what he has up the middle.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    due to cheating...