Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you frickin kidding me?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Are you frickin kidding me?

2010 62.5% completion percentage, 2011 66.8% completion percentage, 2012 67.2% completion percentage, and so far in 2013 a 71.4% completion percentage.

4 years as a QB

11 INT's
    44 times sacked
    59 TD's
    2 National Championships ( a 3rd on the way)

Level of competition? Highest in all of college football and maybe of all-time.

Size? 6 ft 3 to 6ft 4 215-220lbs

Arm strength? average to above average.

Accuracy? See completion percentages and INT's thrown

Mechanics?

from...[URL="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1408022-breaking-down-aj-mccarrons-nfl-potential-draft-stock"]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1408022-breaking-down-aj-mccarrons-nfl-potential-draft-stock[/URL]

There's a bit of [URL="http://bleacherreport.com/peyton-manning"]Peyton Manning[/URL] in the way McCarron moves and throws. He's not on the same level as Manning, but you can see similarities in their movements. McCarron, like both Manning boys, has a tendency to bounce in the pocket when going through his progressions.
    NFL coaches may want to change this—some do, others don't—but it has a very Manning-like quality to it.

McCarron's actual throwing motion has a nice, crisp, over-the-top motion to it. There's no wasted movement or hitches in his delivery. Clean and clear, just like you'd draw it up on paper.
    When evaluating quarterback mechanics, I'm generally looking for three things: footwork, delivery and the shoulder-to-eyes coordination. You want all three to line up when the ball is being delivered, and McCarron does this very well. He's a natural thrower with textbook mechanics.

Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

He isn't all the rage because his style isn't all the rage. If this were 5 years ago, AJ would probably be the top rated quarterback, but because he isn't the style dujour (read/option) he isn't being talked about. He'll get drafted early and then we'll see how good he is and will become.

But, since, he isn't a read/option QB you aren't going to hear to much about him, remember, the NFL is a copycat league.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    He isn't all the rage because his style isn't all the rage. If this were 5 years ago, AJ would probably be the top rated quarterback, but because he isn't the style dujour (read/option) he isn't being talked about. He'll get drafted early and then we'll see how good he is and will become.

But, since, he isn't a read/option QB you aren't going to hear to much about him, remember, the NFL is a copycat league.

Pappy
    You're preaching to the choir Pappy. I've been saying the same thing. He may not be the latest rage in the NFL, but he does fit the style of QB the Steelers look for.

Legend

User Info Menu

Every year you find some slightly above average QB talent and hook your wagon onto him. AJ will get drafted and hold a clip board and then next year you will find the next average QB and do the same thing.

You should be an agent Dub... because you sell these dudes like they are your kids.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Every year you find some slightly above average QB talent and hook your wagon onto him. AJ will get drafted and hold a clip board and then next year you will find the next average QB and do the same thing.

You should be an agent Dub... because you sell these dudes like they are your kids.
    And every year (or at least since Cam Newton), you hitch your wagon on some new fangled, run and shoot, spread offense, read option,etc., etc., who aint gonna win Jack **** in the NFL.

You're funny. Last year Barkley and this year its McCarron and you call it every year I do this. But yet I as the first to talk about Ben at the Trib forum and RGIII on this one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    And every year (or at least since Cam Newton), you hitch your wagon on some new fangled, run and shoot, spread offense, read option,etc., etc., who aint gonna win Jack **** in the NFL.

You're funny. Last year Barkley and this year its McCarron and you call it every year I do this. But yet I as the first to talk about Ben at the Trib forum and RGIII on this one.
    I've never started a thread about wanting Cam Newton.. EVER. I've never started a thread about wanting a QB over Ben.. EVER. That's not what I do.. I joke you when you start threads about trading vets for college kids because they are a lock to make it in the NFL.

I'll give you Ben.. he was under the radar so it's a great find but umm? AJ, Barkley, RGIII hell...even Mendenhall (oh boy.. glad we didn't listen to you on that one and trade FWP) .. how are you going to act like you discovered these kids when they are on ESPN, PTI, College Live, etc every night?

As far as Cam goes? I never hitched myself to him... LOL. I never EVER hitch myself to college players and call them locks or make guarantees. I'll say it one more time. More than likely I was asked if I would take Cam in a trade moving forward and I said yes due to his youth and talent.

Not sure if you noticed but the Panthers have a win this year and Cam has half a team in Charlotte. I live here so I see it every week. The kid is big, has a big arm but he's inaccurate at times and he plays for a joke of a franchise who still thinks it's 1970. It's the same model as Pittsburgh and it isn't working.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I've never started a thread about wanting Cam Newton.. EVER. I've never started a thread about wanting a QB over Ben.. EVER. That's not what I do.. I joke you when you start threads about trading vets for college kids because they are a lock to make it in the NFL.

I'll give you Ben.. he was under the radar so it's a great find but umm? AJ, Barkley, RGIII hell...even Mendenhall (oh boy.. glad we didn't listen to you on that one and trade FWP) .. how are you going to act like you discovered these kids when they are on ESPN, PTI, College Live, etc every night?

As far as Cam goes? I never hitched myself to him... LOL. I never EVER hitch myself to college players and call them locks or make guarantees. I'll say it one more time. More than likely I was asked if I would take Cam in a trade moving forward and I said yes due to his youth and talent.

Not sure if you noticed but the Panthers have a win this year and Cam has half a team in Charlotte. I live here so I see it every week. The kid is big, has a big arm but he's inaccurate at times and he plays for a joke of a franchise who still thinks it's 1970. It's the same model as Pittsburgh and it isn't working.
    See but this is where you are wrong. I have never advocated replacing Ben just for a college kid. This past year I have come to realize that it is in the best interests of the Steelers to trade Ben. But only if they get a Hershel Walker type return. So I am not saying trade Ben for some college QB. I'm saying trade Ben for the chance to LT Jake Matthews, acquire CB Patrick Peterson, and more.

I believe that AJ McCarron (wrongfully), will be there at the top of the second round (33-3, when the Steelers draft in 2014.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't mind McCarron at all. Would like a pocket passing QB with high accuracy. Pretty tough to run a designed offense and get everyone on the same page when your QB is a backyard football player. There is absolutely no timing in our offense. No flow. Play has to break down so Ben can start running around.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I wouldn't mind McCarron at all. Would like a pocket passing QB with high accuracy. Pretty tough to run a designed offense and get everyone on the same page when your QB is a backyard football player. There is absolutely no timing in our offense. No flow. Play has to break down so Ben can start running around.
    Good points!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like mccarron whom I shall now dub (pun intended) macaroon. Macaroon is tough and demands perfection from his teammates. Macaroon has played in a pro style offense and has over- achieved on the field and with the ladies. Long live Macaroon!
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.