Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: I thought this day would never come

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Fair enough.

But, your job is being held hostage because a relative few dislike this law. A law that passed every Constitutional test. Those people do not care about you or your service. They don't care about your ability to feed your family. This shutdown was planned months in advance. You being furloughed was calculated in the board room of a conservative think tank. Your paycheck and the paychecks of hundreds of thousands of other people were deemed acceptable losses.

That is beyond messed up.
    A relative few dislike the law? Come on slap...look at the polls. Even the left leaning media venues will show a nationwide approval rating of this law at 50% or lower

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    A relative few dislike the law? Come on slap...look at the polls. Even the left leaning media venues will show a nationwide approval rating of this law at 50% or lower

Look beyond the headlines ... the libruls who don't like the law feel that way because it is not librul *enough*. Just because they don't like the law as it stands now doesn't mean they agree with the right on how to do health care in this country.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Look beyond the headlines ... the libruls who don't like the law feel that way because it is not librul *enough*. Just because they don't like the law as it stands now doesn't mean they agree with the right on how to do health care in this country.
    Obama's detractors are used to scorched earth politics... so when they see liberals frustrated over the compromise over single payer they think it proves they are winning.

Starter

User Info Menu

17 trillion in debt big guy (and closer to 100 trillion if you count unfunded liabilities)..and you are going to say that the govt waste is minimal (other than military spending)?
    For fiscal year 2014, the U.S. government plans to spend $3.778 trillion. More than 60%, or $2.3 trillion, goes toward mandatory spending like Social Security, Medicare and Military Retirement programs. These expenditures are estimates of how much it will cost to fulfill programs established by Congress.

The rest, called Discretionary spending, is negotiated between the President and Congress each year. The President's budget proposes that $1.242 trillion be appropriated to run the rest of the Federal government. About half, ($618 billion) is military spending. (Source: Office of Management and Budget)

Govt wast is not minimal, but dizz is right, our military budget is insanely high. More than half a TRILLION dollars! That's not including the Military Retirement programs mentioned above. The bulk of the budget goes to the Military, Social Security and Medicare.

Legend

User Info Menu

17 trillion in debt big guy (and closer to 100 trillion if you count unfunded liabilities)..and you are going to say that the govt waste is minimal (other than military spending)?

yep.. when you look at the rest of the world it makes no sense to have spending levels this high. IMO part of the reason we have these wars is so we can justify our military funding.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Obama's detractors are used to scorched earth politics... so when they see liberals frustrated over the compromise over single payer they think it proves they are winning.
    So I guess the same could be said about his low 40's % approval rating in most polls...meaning the "far left" thinks he's not liberal enough, and therefore disapproves of the job he is doing??? The Democratic party is a big tent party. they are sheep... gonna do what Obama, Reed, and Pelosi tells them to do (when it comes right down to it).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

yep.. when you look at the rest of the world it makes no sense to have spending levels this high. IMO part of the reason we have these wars is so we can justify our military funding.
    only a drop in the bucket big guy when you look at unfunded liabilities. This poll proves nothing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Post a poll that shows % of military spending to GDP for the countries in this poll.

Legend

User Info Menu

I owe a mortgage on my house. That's debt. Is it a slam dunk that I should sell my house *now* because it is "debt", and all debt is bad?
    Does the amount of my debt (i.e., the amount I owe on my mortgage) in any way, shape, or form determine whether it is a good debt or a bad debt?

Is there waste in the federal government? Of course there is, and we all agree it would be great to responsibly reduce it. I guess I'm just saying that throwing around the $$ amount of the national debt doesn't by itself help anyone understand how much waste there is ... it just confirms that the federal government is bigger than a bread box.

And it really doesn't have anything to do with why this government is shut down, with thousands more people missing paychecks with each passing day, and Americans going hungry and getting sick, and medical research shut down, and the Centers for Disease Control shut down, and death benefits being witheld from grieving soldiers' families. Etc. Etc.

Do I like where every penny of my taxes goes? Of course not. Does that give me the right to terrorize and harm you? Of course not. But the same also applies to the people in the government (the Tea Party, right?) who are doing this because they are unhappy about constitutionally passed laws.

I said it before: if you want to change the laws - win an election. I don't understand why the people think the rules have changed all of a sudden.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    I owe a mortgage on my house. That's debt. Is it a slam dunk that I should sell my house *now* because it is "debt", and all debt is bad?
    Does the amount of my debt (i.e., the amount I owe on my mortgage) in any way, shape, or form determine whether it is a good debt or a bad debt?

Is there waste in the federal government? Of course there is, and we all agree it would be great to responsibly reduce it. I guess I'm just saying that throwing around the $$ amount of the national debt doesn't by itself help anyone understand how much waste there is ... it just confirms that the federal government is bigger than a bread box.

And it really doesn't have anything to do with why this government is shut down, with thousands more people missing paychecks with each passing day, and Americans going hungry and getting sick, and medical research shut down, and the Centers for Disease Control shut down, and death benefits being witheld from grieving soldiers' families. Etc. Etc.

Do I like where every penny of my taxes goes? Of course not. Does that give me the right to terrorize and harm you? Of course not. But the same also applies to the people in the government (the Tea Party, right?) who are doing this because they are unhappy about constitutionally passed laws.

I said it before: if you want to change the laws - win an election. I don't understand why the people think the rules have changed all of a sudden.
    Sounds great in theory...problem is you aren't willing to admit that the cuts (that have been made since the shutdown) are a result of Obama and his Dems trying to play politics. Demonize the right as much as possible.

Would have made sense to cut the welfare checks of the 10s of millions of folks who are drawing them, yet perfectly able to work. Might make the dems look bad, and cause them to lose and election though because we know most of those folks (who are leeches to society) always votes for the party who gives them the most freebies.