Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Clark: Big Ben should tone things down

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    Or maybe Clark should shut up and worry about how many tackles he's missed. Nah, because then we can't blame it all on the QB.

Ryan Clark is part of the poison on the Steelers. The sooner he's gone, the better off Pittsburgh will be. He's nothing but a selfish asshat.
    How in the hell do you get Ryan Clark is blaming it all on the QB from what he said? Was it from the part where he said "he (Ben) is our leader, the reason we've won 2 Super Bowls and gone to 3"? Or is the part where he says the defense needs to make some plays to help Ben out by providing a shorter field?

You really need to read for better comprehension ... just an observation.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    +1

As long as you bash Ben and Tomlin you are in his good book...

But if you support Ben...well watch out...
    I've never found that to be the case. I support both Ben and Tomlin but have never had a problem with Steelz09. I think you are barking up the wrong tree on this.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    Yeah! That's the same thing some of you said about Hines Ward for attempting to hold Ben accountable for his idiotic performances. I mean, how dare someone call out Ben, it's not his fault our offense stinks

Ryan Clark has been a great steeler and he's probably echoing what the majority of the team feels right now. In a year or two Clark will be sitting at the commentary desk laughing at pitiful Ben the same way Hines Ward and Bill Cowher is probably doing now.
    Clark will be sitting at said desk because he realizes he sucks now and won't have a job in the NFL next year.

How dare someone call out Clark for his idiocy and locker room dividing comments. If he plays for the vaunted Stiller defense he can say anything he wants about the franchise QB! That's yinzer mentality right there. Always alienate the QB when you can. Same thing happened with Bradshaw.

The majority of the team probably thinks Clark is an asshat and would like the Rooneys to cut or trade him. Hell, considering where this season is going, getting a draft pick for Clark seems like a really good idea.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ryan Clark guilty of illegal procedure

October 11, 2013
    By Bob Smizik / Special to the Post-Gazette

Historically, quarterbacks have been fair game for second-guessing and criticism, and that goes for even the best. But usually those harsh comments come from the media and fans. They almost never come from a teammate. This week was the rare exception.

Steelers safety Ryan Clark called out quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in an ESPN interview when he said, ``We have to tone Ben down in a sense and say, 'Hey, right now, we're not a good enough football team for you to try to extend plays, for us to take sacks, for us to have turnovers.' "

Coming from an outside source, that would be a mild, although not necessarily fair, criticism. Coming from a teammate, it borders on outrageous.

Clark is a smart guy who has an excellent ability to articulate his thoughts to the media and public. He's a great interview and he could have a big-time future in broadcasting. Maybe, though, he shouldn't be auditioning for his next career while he's still involved with his present one. Maybe he shouldn't be quite so concerned about offering good sound bytes to a future employer.

Clark, a team captain, gave ESPN exactly what it wanted. He gave Mike Tomlin exactly what he didn't want.

This isn't to suggest this comment will lead to some sort of rupture in the Steelers locker room. In the best of times, 53 guys don't all get along. It is to suggest it was not wise, unnecessary and, worse, the specific criticism was wrong.

Of course, Roethlisberger needs to cut down on his turnovers. You don't need to be a future ESPN analysts to deduce that. But to suggest Roethlisberger needs to tone down his game is an incorrect evaluation. Roethlisberger is in his 10th NFL season. He's not about to change. Nor should he.

This is what current ESPN analyst Bill Polian, a highly successful NFL general manager, said about Roethlisberger after his performance against the Minnesota Vikings:

``Ben Roethlisberger put on the greatest single individual display, south of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and Drew Brees, that I have seen in a long time, maybe in my entire career. I mean he was just phenomenal.

``He avoided or shrugged off at least four sacks. He made plays down the field that were unbelievable. He was under duress all night from snap one."

That doesn't sound like a guy who needs to tone down his style of play.

Roethlisberger's style of play, particularly behind the current offensive line, is necessary for him to perform successfully. He won't make it with that line with a more conservative stand-in-the-pocket approach. As Polian indicated, Roethlisberger's 'playground' style is what makes him so good.

Give a chance to clarify his comments by Pittsburgh reporters, Clark said, ``When asked a question about Ben, I said, we need to protect Ben. And, when I say that, [I mean] defense, we need to make plays so he doesn't feel like he has to do everything. Offensively, we need to protect him so he can get the ball out on his fifth step; receivers need to get open, running backs need to run the ball.

``But, in that as well, I feel like he needs to understand that, as constructed right now, we aren't playing well enough right now as a team to where we can take sacks and have turnovers. So, as a team, that's a team solution.

There's not a football team in existence that can afford to take sacks and have turnovers, so on this particular sound byte Clark fails, although his effort to repair any damage was commendable.

When Roethlisberger, also a team captain, was asked about Clark's comments he said, ``I didn't hear about [that]. It is what it is. I'm just going to play the game the way that I play it and try not to turn it over."

Well said, Ben. That choice of words might not get you a network job, but it's what the Steelers -- as opposed to ESPN -- need to hear.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/smizik-on-sports/ryan-clark-guilty-of-illegal-procedure-707188/#ixzz2hSoXx1Vy[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Clark is just picking up from where he left off this past offseason in making bold statements for his quest to be the latest and greatest ex-player turned analyst role. I forgot what he said about Troy....not at the top because he's never on the field or something. I guess Clark will get a good taste of the field side reporting if he keeps performing the way he has.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Clark is just picking up from where he left off this past offseason in making bold statements for his quest to be the latest and greatest ex-player turned analyst role. I forgot what he said about Troy....not at the top because he's never on the field or something. I guess Clark will get a good taste of the field side reporting if he keeps performing the way he has.
    He said he couldn't rate Troy as the best safety the last few year because he was injured.

His latest comments came at a bad time because he is part of the problem on this horrible D but umm... Clark IS about to retire and ESPN is his next stop. Not sure why some are talking like he has 4 years left in the league. I think he retires after this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Since Roethlisberger's rib injury this team is 1-7. All agree that the team only goes as far as he takes them. That said, Roethlisberger has not been good. Starting with his return last season, he has ended games with critical ints, ended games with fumbles, ended games unable to put a drive together. Maybe Clark went public because Ben has not responded to lockerroom discussion, or didn't like the answer he got?
    Yes, you can point elsewhere, but bottomline, Roethisberger's play has been below the line.... and not looking like it is improving. Until he reaches absolute bottom, he likely won't try to change anything.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what Ryan meant by "tone it down." Ben doesn't need to completely change his style of play...but it's not hard to see that this team will have a hard time winning as long as he is turning the ball over like he has been. There are times he just needs to throw the ball away, or tuck it away and protect it. That's not harsh criticism, that's just the truth.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Correct. But, as usual, the media is given an inch and takes a mile...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Since Roethlisberger's rib injury this team is 1-7. All agree that the team only goes as far as he takes them. That said, Roethlisberger has not been good. Starting with his return last season, he has ended games with critical ints, ended games with fumbles, ended games unable to put a drive together. Maybe Clark went public because Ben has not responded to lockerroom discussion, or didn't like the answer he got?
    Yes, you can point elsewhere, but bottomline, Roethisberger's play has been below the line.... and not looking like it is improving. Until he reaches absolute bottom, he likely won't try to change anything.
    One play alone never decides the outcome of the game...

AB84 doesn't fumble the ball against Dallas Steelers would not have needed OT..and we would not have been talking about Ben INT...

Ben needs to play better but in the end everyone on offensive side needs to pull up their level of play...

No running game...no LT...and QB fumbling the ball or throwing INT...all are related to each other...on top of that weirdo OC.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT