Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roster ReMake

Legend

User Info Menu

Roster ReMake

While the recent roster remake might make sense and some welcome the changes, to me it inspires no confidence in the coaching, personnel, and FO staff. Bringing back players that were cut because they were judged less talented or had less potential than those they kept is the ultimate damning statement of the org. There is clearly dysfunction in the organization and until that is cleaned up I fear this team will be mired in mediocrity for years to come. Second-guessing on players, outright missing on draft picks, ... something has definitely changed in the personnel dept. THAT is what the local media should be probing and writing about.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was telling someone not so long ago that the players they draft really haven't been progressing much, if at all. Pouncey is a perfect example. He came in the league as a stud, but I haven't seen him get better. Sure he makes the probowl but I believe a lot of lineman make it by their name. I look at a guy like Kraig Urbik. Drafted in the 3rd and ends up CUT and now is a pretty good O-Lineman with the Bills.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Agree with both you guys. If you were expendable in August you're not suddenly a difference maker in October. Reeks of desperation and shows a lack of talent evaluation and planning.

And the drafting is worse than average and the guys who have been here have not progressed at all beyond somewhat serviceable back-ups. Unfortunately they are starting for this team. Hopefully Jones and Bell reverse this trend but the Steelers have put themselves in real hole.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I look at this roster and want to start drinking.

the holes left by 08 and 09 are crippling the team, just no way around that. The last couple haven't been much better as I don't see ANY real talent waiting in the wings like we used to see. At least the "coach dad won't play the young guys" nonsense has finally ceased. There just anybody to put in worth a damn and that falls on colbert/tomlins drafts. I don't know the breakdown of power, but those who want to barbecue colbert and absolve tomlin of any responsibilty is absurd.

if they don't start drafting better, this is going to be an ugly ride. I'm afraid we are just at the beginining and not the end

Rookie

User Info Menu

Eerily similar to the Cowher/Donahoe situation of the late 90s...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe the Goodell Effect is partially to blame with a little Ben and Stonio thrown in. Over the last few years, there has been somewhat of an effort to make sure everyone knows we are drafting high character guys. Unfortunately, irascible tough guys like Harrison have been drummed out and we wouldn't touch a player like Suh in the draft. Now we have a bunch of guys playing like pansies, albeit great fellas, but the intimidation factor is just a memory. I don't believe we are going to regain that 'culture' anytime soon unless our roster remake draws from the prison system.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/41589-Why-the-personnel-department-is-the-real-reason-for-this-debacle[/url]
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    we wouldn't touch a player like Suh in the draft.
    Perhaps not the best example, since we didn't have the 1st or 2nd overall pick that year, so it wasn't as if we passed on Suh. Perhaps a better example would be someone like Vontaze Burfict (although none of the NFL teams thought he was fit to draft), but he would certainly look better next to Lawrence Timmons than Kion Wilson was, Vince Williams is, and Stevenson Sylvester will be.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Maybe the Goodell Effect is partially to blame with a little Ben and Stonio thrown in. Over the last few years, there has been somewhat of an effort to make sure everyone knows we are drafting high character guys. Unfortunately, irascible tough guys like Harrison have been drummed out and we wouldn't touch a player like Suh in the draft. Now we have a bunch of guys playing like pansies, albeit great fellas, but the intimidation factor is just a memory. I don't believe we are going to regain that 'culture' anytime soon unless our roster remake draws from the prison system.
    I see what you are saying... I don't necessarily agree with it. We've drafted guys like Rainey, Ta'amu, others with less than desireable "character". I also disagree, in that we would draft Suh in a heartbeat, were he available to us (his issues are on-field). I think our 1st round draft strategy is sound (high character, high production over "potential"). I think our later round drafting has made it an issue.

We used to get guys from Fort Valley St, BYU, Northern Colorado, Swaggin U... now our Day 2 guys are from Texas (Tony Hills), or UCLA (Bruce Davis), or Ohio St (Adams). You are more likely to find diamonds in the rough, from the actual rough! Than you are guys who've been playing in the spotlight (of major college football).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I see what you are saying... I don't necessarily agree with it. We've drafted guys like Rainey, Ta'amu, others with less than desireable "character". I also disagree, in that we would draft Suh in a heartbeat, were he available to us (his issues are on-field). .
    agree with foot warmer
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.