Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm sure glad..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Since you originally brought it up, do you honestly think that turnovers (by Ike) will happen with pressure on the QB. Pretty sure history does not prove that in regards to Ike.
    By Ike?

Probably not. But there are many members to the Steelers DB's. Cortez & troy have both shown a nose for the ball, as has (surprisingly) Will Gay.

Ike is what he is- an aged vet who is on the downside of his career. Is he overpaid? Yeah, probably. But he isn't the 'problem'. He's still a valuable player, just that the Steelers have committed too much to him for late career production. Chadman suspects he'll be a candidate for release or pay restructure soon. Next year? Maybe, maybe not. But soon.

Unless you have steady turnover of personnel every season, every team will have 1 or 2 vets that are overpaid as a result of age/decline not matching increased wages.

To be fair, Ryan Clark's $5m is more overpriced than Ike's $10m as far as play on the field goes, in Chadman's opinion.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Dobre Chadka!?!
    (Going to pretend Chadman understands that & smile knowingly...)

The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Rookie

User Info Menu

Okay. Im not getting the doggin of Ike Taylor.

He IS still a shutdown corner. Remind me Again what AJ Green, one of the best recievers in the NFL did against Ike? something to the tune of 4/5 catches for 40 yards (He had one catch for like 10 yards that Ike was not on coverage for) Broke up 2 TDs in that game for.

He can't catch. But I will give him all the Credit in the world for being one of the few players that played his heart out last sunday. Trying to make plays for our team.

Maybe he isn't worth 10 mil right now. He's likely to take a paycut next year.

Keenan Lewis wasn't a guaranteed thing. He wanted to be in New Orleans. Hes there. If we had paid him say 8 mil a year (considering hes getting about 6 now on a pay cut) We would be bitching that Lewis doesn't get Turnovers at a rate acceptable of that pay grade.

I also don't think Lewis is as good a cover corner as Ike Taylor is right now. Next year might be a different deal.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    (Going to pretend Chadman understands that & smile knowingly...)

That was my good comment post, dobre shunka style

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Okay. Im not getting the doggin of Ike Taylor.

He IS still a shutdown corner. Remind me Again what AJ Green, one of the best recievers in the NFL did against Ike? something to the tune of 4/5 catches for 40 yards (He had one catch for like 10 yards that Ike was not on coverage for) Broke up 2 TDs in that game for.

He can't catch. But I will give him all the Credit in the world for being one of the few players that played his heart out last sunday. Trying to make plays for our team.

Maybe he isn't worth 10 mil right now. He's likely to take a paycut next year.

Keenan Lewis wasn't a guaranteed thing. He wanted to be in New Orleans. Hes there. If we had paid him say 8 mil a year (considering hes getting about 6 now on a pay cut) We would be bitching that Lewis doesn't get Turnovers at a rate acceptable of that pay grade.

I also don't think Lewis is as good a cover corner as Ike Taylor is right now. Next year might be a different deal.
    I don't believe Keenan Lewis will ever be Ike Taylor and we were never going to retain Lewis despite what some people want to believe. Ike is 100% still a shut down corner and he's yet to lose a step, I too am perplexed by the sudden desire to dog taylor BUT this is what happens when your team starts losing. Going back to what Steelz keeps bringing up, I at no point implied that Taylor was going to miraculously learn how to catch because of d-line pressure BUT getting pressure on the QB is going to provide opportunity for turnovers elsewhere. People just seem to be combing over our roster looking for expensive contracts and making excuses for eliminating those players. It's ridiculous.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Sorry man... can't agree with you on this one. I don't believe Ike is an elite corner at this point of his career. You mention his game against AJ and I could mention that critical completion that he gave up against Brandon Marshall. Was it decent coverage? Sure. But you have to make plays when your making 10 million dollars a year and that isn't making a play when we needed a play. We didn't need a INT.. we simply needed him to turn his head and breakup the completion.

There's been plays where I thought that Ike doesn't have the quickless that he once had.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    That was my good comment post, dobre shunka style
    Now Chadman is smiling even more knowingly...

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I don't believe Keenan Lewis will ever be Ike Taylor and we were never going to retain Lewis despite what some people want to believe. Ike is 100% still a shut down corner and he's yet to lose a step, I too am perplexed by the sudden desire to dog taylor BUT this is what happens when your team starts losing. Going back to what Steelz keeps bringing up, I at no point implied that Taylor was going to miraculously learn how to catch because of d-line pressure BUT getting pressure on the QB is going to provide opportunity for turnovers elsewhere. People just seem to be combing over our roster looking for expensive contracts and making excuses for eliminating those players. It's ridiculous.
    I'm sure Thomas and Tim Tebow would love to face our elite corner every week.

You both are missing the point. I'm saying that Ike isn't much better (if any) than Lewis at this point in his career and I wouldn't be paying either 10 million a year. Let's forget about Lewis being on the Steelers for a second.... I'm talking about playing ability at this point and I don't think one is that much (if any) better than the other.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Sorry man... can't agree with you on this one. I don't believe Ike is an elite corner at this point of his career. You mention his game against AJ and I could mention that critical completion that he gave up against Brandon Marshall. Was it decent coverage? Sure. But you have to make plays when your making 10 million dollars a year and that isn't making a play when we needed a play. We didn't need a INT.. we simply needed him to turn his head and breakup the completion.

There's been plays where I thought that Ike doesn't have the quickless that he once had.
    Taylor kept Marshall in check that entire game, 5 catches for 52 yards. He gives up one pass you think he could have played better against and he's suddenly a bum. Marshall is an elite and very physical wide receiver and he's 6'4. As I said above people are being ridiculous. It's apparently going to take Taylor retiring before people realize just how much he does for that defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Agree with that- there are times Ike plays like he wants to still be a 4.2 kind of guy, where he's more a 4.4 kind of guy now.

That said, he's still pretty effective- just not $10m type effective.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE