Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Is this Really the Guy you want to Draft?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    You and I are on the same wavelength. I also think Jones and McCarron are very similar types of QBs. I would like us to move towards a QB that is a dual threat ... using not only his arm but his legs.
    Be careful saying that because it stirs up fans memories of Kordell With that said, when you have a guy who is a natural passer who can also scramble, that is a terrific combination. The days of stationary statue QBs are coming to an end.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    You and I are on the same wavelength. I also think Jones and McCarron are very similar types of QBs. I would like us to move towards a QB that is a dual threat ... using not only his arm but his legs.
    With our OL it makes sense to have a QB who can scoot for a few first downs. Ben used to do that all the time and gradually decreased his runs down field. I don't know if Bridgewater is the guy but he, Boyd and Manzeil all have that dual threat capability while showing great arm strength and pocket presence.

I haven't watched the kid from Baylor but he is putting up some insane numbers this year.

No to AJ though...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    With our OL it makes sense to have a QB who can scoot for a few first downs. Ben used to do that all the time and gradually decreased his runs down field. I don't know if Bridgewater is the guy but he, Boyd and Manzeil all have that dual threat capability while showing great arm strength and pocket presence.

I haven't watched the kid from Baylor but he is putting up some insane numbers this year.

No to AJ though...
    Actually, aside from his rookie season, Roethlisberger has been remarkably consistent with runs, averaging around 35 per season. What has declined is the number of yards gained.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    thats a nice haul, but i doubt they include peterson.

and i'd hope that mariotta is there instead of nix
    Why not? Ask this simple question. What gives the Arizona Cardinals the better change of winning a Super Bowl?

Their team with Ben Roethlisberger as their QB and and no Patrick Peterson, or their team with Patrick Peterson and no Ben Roethlsiberger as their QB.

They can keep Peterson but unless they get a legitimate QB, they aint winning nothing.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I like McCarron but see him in a similar light to Landry Jones. Jones actually has the bigger arm. We have that guy already. I don't think it's a major step up. I believe Bridgewater to have it all. I think he will be special at the next level. He has the arm, the IQ, the poise, the leadership and the accuracy. I can't think of a deficiency in his game.

So the fact that McCarron is on the verge of being the QB of 3 BSC National Championship teams, has played in a much tougher conference that has created the most big games any college QB may have ever seen, and has thrown 816 passes in college and has only 11 INT's. Think about that. All those big games and only 11 INT's? Too me these things at separates him for a Landry Jones by a long way. McCarron's pocket presence is being compared to that of Peyton Manning. We all know that is the knock on Landry Jones. He gets rattle from time to time. McCarron doesnt...even on the biggest stages.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

By the way, for what it is worth, I like Teddy Bridgewater. He has an above average skill set no doubt.....but.....in his 3 year at Louisville he's played like one good team (last Florida), from an elite conference. Every thing else?....nothing to write home about. Very moderate to below average schedule.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    So the fact that McCarron is on the verge of being the QB of 3 BSC National Championship teams, has played in a much tougher conference that has created the most big games any college QB may have ever seen, and has thrown 816 passes in college and has only 11 INT's. Think about that. All those big games and only 11 INT's? Too me these things at separates him for a Landry Jones by a long way. McCarron's pocket presence is being compared to that of Peyton Manning. We all know that is the knock on Landry Jones. He gets rattle from time to time. McCarron doesnt...even on the biggest stages.
    There is a reaso n AJ isnt in the heisman race even though he has a few BCS titles under his belt. There isnt much to talk about besides the titles because AJ is a game manager. Beating LSU in a rematch and trouncing ND is nice but 85% of Bamas games during AJ's career have been over by halftime.

Bridgewater hasnt played SEC competition and the schedule this year is a joke but he also plays for Louisville. Bama has been stacked for years.. its hard to get a read on AJ because its a plug and play Saban system and he has a stable of NFL draft picks at every position

Legend

User Info Menu

McCarron as much as I like him has been kept clean by the best OL in college sports. With all the time in the world, many would look good. I think he will be a good pro but there are question marks surrounding him based on being a "game manager", and rarely facing pressure.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    McCarron as much as I like him has been kept clean by the best OL in college sports. With all the time in the world, many would look good. I think he will be a good pro but there are question marks surrounding him based on being a "game manager", and rarely facing pressure.
    Joe Montana averaged 16 pass attempts per game at Notre Dame. He was a game manager a lot more than McCarron is.

Instead of focusing on something that isn't a fault of McCarron or something that is out of his control, I challenge you to watch how he is in the pocket, how he throws, his leadership on the field, his accuracy, his touch, the zip he has, and how he is in big games.

And also take a look at what he has done when he has been asked to be more than a game manager. Those games where Alabama put the game in the hands of McCarron. Like this year versus Texas A & M.

20-29 334 yards 4 TD's no INT's

Now compare that game to the one real tough game that Teddy Bridgewater has played his entire college career. like last year versus Florida.

20-32 266 yards 2 TD's 1 INT

Hmmmm??

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    There is a reaso n AJ isnt in the heisman race even though he has a few BCS titles under his belt. There isnt much to talk about besides the titles because AJ is a game manager. Beating LSU in a rematch and trouncing ND is nice but 85% of Bamas games during AJ's career have been over by halftime.

Bridgewater hasnt played SEC competition and the schedule this year is a joke but he also plays for Louisville. Bama has been stacked for years.. its hard to get a read on AJ because its a plug and play Saban system and he has a stable of NFL draft picks at every position
    Uhhhhh you can say the same thing about Bridgewater and Louisville. They have blown out the mighty Ohio, Eastern Kentucky, and Florida International by halftime this year.