Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this Really the Guy you want to Draft?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    who's the 4th

i know about matthews, lewan and the bama kid
    Richardson from TN to a lesser extent. Big man with good feet. He is considered the 19th best talent in the draft by CBS.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Trade Ben ... trade Pouncey and get a franchise LT, a franchise QB, and a shutdown DB. It's easy.
    Uhhhhhh now that mention this, I personally believe that trading just Ben could net all that and possibly more.

Ben to the Cardinals for their 2014 1st round pick, their 2014 2nd round pick, and CB Patrick Peterson.

And that could bring something like this on draft day...

1 (Steelers 1st rnd pick)--- Jake Matthews LT
    1 (Arizona's 1st rnd pick)---Louis Nix NT
    2 (Steelers 2nd rnd pick)---Jordan Matthew WR (Jerry Rice's cousin)
    2 (Arizona's 2nd rnd pick)---AJ McCarron QB

Patrick Peterson---maybe the best CB in all of football

And the Steelers could get out of cap hell as well.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    Tajh Boyd, please.
    No way!! Steelers will never draft a read option QB.

I'd take AJ McCarron over any of them in this draft. That's Teddy Bridewater Marcus Marriota, Brett Hundley, Tahj Boyd, Johnny Manziel, etc., etc.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Felt, let me go a little further. The only way I see the Steelers not drafting a LT is if Teddy Bridgewater is there. IMO, he is the surest thing in this draft at QB. My only concerns with Teddy is how lanky he is, and the lack of competition he has played against. But, the guy is a strong leader, accurate, has an arm, has mobility and has a high football IQ.
    I disagree. I think AJ McCarron is more of a sure thing. Let's see, he is on the verge of his 3rd BCS National title, good size (6ft 4 215), strong accurate arm (67.4% college career passer), great decision maker (only 11 INT's in 4 years), more game experience as a QB, more big game experience as a QB,....oh and the most important reason I think he is more of a sure thing (when it comes to the Steelers), is isnt a read option QB. The Steelers are never drafting one. AJ McCarron is pocket passer who's best passing days are ahead of him in the NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

.....But, the guy is a strong leader, accurate, has an arm, has mobility and has a high football IQ.
    Funny thing about this Shawn, AJ McCarron is all of these thing too. Maybe not as strong an an arm Bridgewater, but scouts are saying McCarron has something that NFL teams want more than how far one can throw the ball, and that is velocity. McCarron throws the ball with a lot of torque from his body and this gives him pretty good zip on his throws. McCarron has that. And as far as the schedule McCarron has played in his 4 years at Alabama, there may not be a QB in the history of college football who has played a tougher. Same can be said ab out the number of big games he has played in.

Read this article from last season. It breaks down McCarron in every aspect of QBing. And if anyone has seen McCarron this year, you know has has improved a ton from even just last year. Here are a couple tid bits I especially liked...

In terms of velocity, McCarron looks sharp when he takes time to step into throws. He doesn't have a strong enough arm to throw with velocity off his back foot (a la [URL="http://bleacherreport.com/jay-cutler"]Jay Cutler[/URL]). McCarron is more like a light [URL="http://bleacherreport.com/eli-manning"]Eli Manning[/URL] in that if he sets up and uses his body to torque the pass, he can throw hard and fast. Mechanics are the key here more than his actual arm.

Through three games, there wasn't a throw that McCarron couldn't make when his mechanics were sharp. He has the physical arm strength to work in any NFL scheme—be it a short, timing-based offense or a vertical set—but his ideal pro scheme would rely more on intermediate, quick passes rather than a true vertical offense.

MECHANICS: 10.0/10
    There's a bit of [URL="http://bleacherreport.com/peyton-manning"]Peyton Manning[/URL] in the way McCarron moves and throws. He's not on the same level as Manning, but you can see similarities in their movements. McCarron, like both Manning boys, has a tendency to bounce in the pocket when going through his progressions.
    NFL coaches may want to change this—some do, others don't—but it has a very Manning-like quality to it.
    McCarron's actual throwing motion has a nice, crisp, over-the-top motion to it. There's no wasted movement or hitches in his delivery. Clean and clear, just like you'd draw it up on paper.
    When evaluating quarterback mechanics, I'm generally looking for three things: footwork, delivery and the shoulder-to-eyes coordination. You want all three to line up when the ball is being delivered, and McCarron does this very well. He's a natural thrower with textbook mechanics.

[URL="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1408022-breaking-down-aj-mccarrons-nfl-potential-draft-stock"]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1408022-breaking-down-aj-mccarrons-nfl-potential-draft-stock[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Uhhhhhh now that mention this, I personally believe that trading just Ben could net all that and possibly more.

Ben to the Cardinals for their 2014 1st round pick, their 2014 2nd round pick, and CB Patrick Peterson.

And that could bring something like this on draft day...

1 (Steelers 1st rnd pick)--- Jake Matthews LT
    1 (Arizona's 1st rnd pick)---Louis Nix NT
    2 (Steelers 2nd rnd pick)---Jordan Matthew WR (Jerry Rice's cousin)
    2 (Arizona's 2nd rnd pick)---AJ McCarron QB

Patrick Peterson---maybe the best CB in all of football

And the Steelers could get out of cap hell as well.
    thats a nice haul, but i doubt they include peterson.

and i'd hope that mariotta is there instead of nix

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No...I want to draft a LT and so should the Steelers.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    thats a nice haul, but i doubt they include peterson.

and i'd hope that mariotta is there instead of nix
    No way do they include peterson. I know BA loves Ben but I seriously doubt he would give up a 1st, 2nd and a top 10 pick who is playing under a rookie contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I disagree. I think AJ McCarron is more of a sure thing. Let's see, he is on the verge of his 3rd BCS National title, good size (6ft 4 215), strong accurate arm (67.4% college career passer), great decision maker (only 11 INT's in 4 years), more game experience as a QB, more big game experience as a QB,....oh and the most important reason I think he is more of a sure thing (when it comes to the Steelers), is isnt a read option QB. The Steelers are never drafting one. AJ McCarron is pocket passer who's best passing days are ahead of him in the NFL.
    I like McCarron but see him in a similar light to Landry Jones. Jones actually has the bigger arm. We have that guy already. I don't think it's a major step up. I believe Bridgewater to have it all. I think he will be special at the next level. He has the arm, the IQ, the poise, the leadership and the accuracy. I can't think of a deficiency in his game.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like McCarron but see him in a similar light to Landry Jones. Jones actually has the bigger arm. We have that guy already. I don't think it's a major step up. I believe Bridgewater to have it all. I think he will be special at the next level. He has the arm, the IQ, the poise, the leadership and the accuracy. I can't think of a deficiency in his game.
    You and I are on the same wavelength. I also think Jones and McCarron are very similar types of QBs. I would like us to move towards a QB that is a dual threat ... using not only his arm but his legs.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!