Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Good read Cowher V's Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    No to mention the fact that this board has been rhadamanthine in its assessment of Colbert and the coaching staff. Just sayin...

Pappy
    Better rhadamanthine than mercurial.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    Nice try Defeo, but sorry not buying it. What is missing is the sense of progress and growth Cowher brought in from day 1. Don't know why this goes unnoticed when BC is discussed.

The only similarity between the two is it was time for a coaching change and it was made. That's it.

VADER has spelled it out exactly the way it was in early Cowher.

So any comparisons of two totally different set of circumstances is absurd. Each coach has to be rated on exactly what has occurred during his tenure. With Cowher IMO it was steady continuous change in every phase of the game hopefully to achieve excellence. Now there does not seem to be this sense of progress. Although that is not a given yet.

It is possible that this current roster is actually stronger and loaded with more first rate players than the team Cowher inherited.[despite the loss of over a half dozen all pros the past few years] However, that is on paper. Maybe that is the problem. This team could very well be "paper champs" and that usually does not get it. Let's see if Tomlin can get this team off the paper and on the field.

About the only thing in the article that was a fact is Defeo said: "Hey, the Steelers are 2-9 in their last 11 games, dating back to Week 10 of 2012. They've been behind by two scores or more in 11 of their last 15 games."

This does not sound like progress. Let's see if Tomlin can turn this around.
    What kind of excellence did Cowher achieve in 1998, 1999 and 2000?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Was half the league playing the 3-4 looking for players that we usually had first dibs on when Gildon and Porter were developed? I would not count Emmons or Haggans as success stories.

The competition to find the undersized DEs to play 3-4 OLB is much greater than in the 90s.
    For 5th and 7th round picks, Haggans and Emmons are absolutely success stories.

Sure, there are more teams that play a 3-4 now (apparently, half the league has missed the flaws that you see), but the Steelers have still flat out missed on evaluations. Taking Davis over Cliff Avril (a guy the Steelers had in for a pre-draft visit) was a particularly glaring example.

Of cour

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Sorry but totally disagree. We take Def Tackles who usually made their money in college attacking through a one gap. We then "convert" them to "occupy blockers" to keep the LBs clean. We also take DEs who have good pass rushing credentials and "convert" them to OLB and add pass coverage responsibilities.

LeBeau's defense does not take them from college and put them in familiar positions.
    You've railed for years against the DL "occupying blockers." However, without the DL keeping your boy Timmons clean, what has he done this year? Nothing.

I love how the guy who has a statement of self importance deriding fantasy football as his signature cannot recognize anything done by the defensive line outside of a sack.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    No to mention the fact that this board has been rhadamanthine in its assessment of Colbert and the coaching staff. Just sayin...

Pappy
    *pulls out dictionary* ok...ok I believe I can agree with that.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    What kind of excellence did Cowher achieve in 1998, 1999 and 2000?
    What was the most winning team in the NFL during 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What was the most winning team in the NFL during 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005?
    Am I missing something, exactly what did he win those years. A AFCCG CHOKE JOB.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Rookie

User Info Menu

Awesome...

Then, let's hold off on judging Tomlin until 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020...

Starter

User Info Menu

Vader said: "I don't like the direction of this team and I don't like the Tomlin/Colbert team when it comes to drafting. I'm not saying to fire Tomlin. I don't like the direction but he should have time to straighten it out."

Fair enough!

I dd not think there was any basis for comparing the two in the early years. However, now there is sort of. Going forward from now.

QB O'Donnell---Landry
    OL Dawson-----Pouncey
    OL Jackson-----Gilbert or Adams
    DB Lake--------Polamalu
    DB Woodson---Taylor
    LB Lloyd--------Woodley or Timmons
    WR Mills---------Wheaton
    WR Thigpen?----E. Sanders
    RB Foster-------Bell [Foster had 96 carries in 90-91.] How do you think the team would fare if the above was the nucleus of the team going forward?

Of course BC did not have the luxury of Ben Roethlisberger, A. Brown, D. DeCastro, C.Allen quite a few other sound players. These are just an added bonus for MT. Now the question is as Vader asks can the Tomlin/Colbert team get it done? Frankly, I would prefer 1992 or even better 2000 but since last years draft was such a good start I hope this pair can get it done.

Legend

User Info Menu

At the risk of being ob- ob-2's something or other[does that have something to do with geomety]

Anyway, I did not think that rhad thing was a real word. I thought you just made it up. It's real all right, but I got a hunch it wont catch on.

How is that spelled anyhow? Is it E-I-E-I-O
    I'm not smart enough to make up a word. I have to use the ones someone else has created.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount