Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 94

Thread: Good read Cowher V's Tomlin

Hybrid View

  1. #1

  2. #2
    I posted something very similar and was pooh-poohed...

    But, apparently, I'm not the only one to observe this...

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler Steelhere10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    man from Sudan
    Posts
    1,602
    Me and you both have been debating this. And a surprising fact that I found. Through 4 games the Steelers have only 18 penalties the least for the team since 2006, so obviously they ain't that terrible in not being prepared like some argue.

  4. #4
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Me and you both have been debating this. And a surprising fact that I found. Through 4 games the Steelers have only 18 penalties the least for the team since 2006, so obviously they ain't that terrible in not being prepared like some argue.
    Penalties is a small portion of that.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Me and you both have been debating this. And a surprising fact that I found. Through 4 games the Steelers have only 18 penalties the least for the team since 2006, so obviously they ain't that terrible in not being prepared like some argue.
    Have you compared any other year besides this one? I have seen the stats. There was an impressive fall off with Tomlin in the giveaway/takeaways and penalty yards. 4 games this season when we are 0-4? Yeah, I'm not really ready to ignore the rest of his career.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

  6. #6
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,160
    It's not simply about inheriting the players . It's the continuous sloppy play and questionable "in game" coaching decisions. It's being prepared to play.... some players look confused. It seems like Tomlin is the dumbest coach & the smartest coach (if that makes sense) at the same time. I think he needs to stop overthinking some things and use some common sense. I think there is clearly a lack of leadership especially from a player standpoint.

    It's the fact that over 7 years, very few of the "replacements" developed. The ones that are starters, you'd have to question their quality of play. Even 1st round picks (Heyward, Hood) aren't producing at Hoke, Aaron Smith (tough to match), Kemo levels. Look at our depth across the team.... ts depleted. I remember the days when you could tell guys were going to be beasts when given the opportunity to play on a full time basis. You can't have 1st round picks across the board. At some point, you have to develop your team.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,368
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    It's not simply about inheriting the players . It's the continuous sloppy play and questionable "in game" coaching decisions. It's being prepared to play.... some players look confused. It seems like Tomlin is the dumbest coach & the smartest coach (if that makes sense) at the same time. I think he needs to stop overthinking some things and use some common sense. I think there is clearly a lack of leadership especially from a player standpoint.

    It's the fact that over 7 years, very few of the "replacements" developed. The ones that are starters, you'd have to question their quality of play. Even 1st round picks (Heyward, Hood) aren't producing at Hoke, Aaron Smith (tough to match), Kemo levels. Look at our depth across the team.... ts depleted. I remember the days when you could tell guys were going to be beasts when given the opportunity to play on a full time basis. You can't have 1st round picks across the board. At some point, you have to develop your team.
    How did Aaron SMith, Hoke and Kemo look like there first 3 years in the league? No snark.. serious question. I know they were drafted higher than our vets and that should also be used when evaluating them.

  8. #8
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    How did Aaron SMith, Hoke and Kemo look like there first 3 years in the league? No snark.. serious question. I know they were drafted higher than our vets and that should also be used when evaluating them.
    That's another problem. 1st round picks shouldn't take 3 to 4 years to "develop". It's one thing if it takes 3 years for a good player to become a great player/playmaker. Timmons is another example.

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,368
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    That's another problem. 1st round picks shouldn't take 3 to 4 years to "develop". It's one thing if it takes 3 years for a good player to become a great player/playmaker. Timmons is another example.
    maybe it's the scheme? We draft players and break them down and build them back up instead of letting them come in and do what made them attractive in college.

  10. #10
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    maybe it's the scheme? We draft players and break them down and build them back up instead of letting them come in and do what made them attractive in college.
    No... It has nothing to do with the 3-4 scheme and it's not just the defense either.

    For some reason, the only position that we've had success developing is WR.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •