Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Good read Cowher V's Tomlin

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Here's a better question....

If Tomlin's job is so safe then why wasn't he allowed to hire his own OC after being a head coach of 7 years?

You think that would happen to Jim Harbaugh or Bill Belichek? What about Cowher? The Rooneys trusted Cowher.... they trusted his ability to build a team. They favored his opinion over the GMs (Tom Donahoe) at the time which resulted in the hiring of his replacement.. Colbert. Clearly, the FO doesn't have the same faith in Tomlin if he isn't allowed anymore to hire his own OC.

It doesn't get more obvious than that.
    You would think that, given Tomlin's performance, he would have earned a similar amount of trust to that of Bill Cowher at this point in their respective tenures with the Steelers...

If he hasn't, well, unfortunately, that says more about the FO than it does about him...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheMick7 View Post
    Because Art is a meddling idiot.

And guess what? They aren't winning anymore, are they?
    Well, guess what.... That doesn't matter because the Rooney's are the majority owner so you can moan all your want about Art II.

The fact is the FO potentially overrulled Tomlin on the hiring of his OC. That is clearly showing a lack of faith, a lack of respect or both. Either way, you don't want your bosses clearly showing a lack of faith in you performing your job.

If Tomlin thought he was that good of a coach, he would tell Art and the FO to go screw themselves and that he wants to hire his own staff or he's out finding a new job. I'm sure Craft wouldn't overrule Belichek like that and I'm sure Belichek wouldn't be Crafts little puppet after 7 years of being a HC. It makes it seem that Tomlin is nothing more than the FO's little puppet. This wouldn't happen to Jim Harbaugh and even Cowher (and that has been proven).
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Similar to Cowher's team circa 1998-1999 I suppose...
    Cowher's team also faltered in 2003 6-10. Then again in 2006 after a championship season to boot.

But the point is the team always managed to bounce back even stronger. Just maybe it was because the coach recognized problems and corrected them. Not sayin' this won't happen now, but do it.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    Cowher's team also faltered in 2003 6-10. Then again in 2006 after a championship season to boot.

But the point is the team always managed to bounce back even stronger. Just maybe it was because the coach recognized problems and corrected them. Not sayin' this won't happen now, but do it.
    Hasn't happened since mid way thru last year.... Not only have we not won, he haven't played good enough to even warrant a 'W'

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, guess what.... That doesn't matter because the Rooney's are the majority owner so you can moan all your want about Art II.

The fact is the FO potentially overrulled Tomlin on the hiring of his OC. That is clearly showing a lack of faith, a lack of respect or both. Either way, you don't want your bosses clearly showing a lack of faith in you performing your job.

If Tomlin thought he was that good of a coach, he would tell Art and the FO to go screw themselves and that he wants to hire his own staff or he's out finding a new job. I'm sure Craft wouldn't overrule Belichek like that and I'm sure Belichek wouldn't be Crafts little puppet after 7 years of being a HC. It makes it seem that Tomlin is nothing more than the FO's little puppet. This wouldn't happen to Jim Harbaugh and even Cowher (and that has been proven).
    that's due to Kraft being smart enough not to pull rank on his HC.

Some owners sit down and let the HC run the show... others don't and they usually end up losing games because they are more concerned with flexing their power than letting the team function properly.

You can try and make this into another one of your Tomlin bashing threads but the truth is the owner gets the last word and it may be why Cowher left in the first place.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    that's due to Kraft being smart enough not to pull rank on his HC.

Some owners sit down and let the HC run the show... others don't and they usually end up losing games because they are more concerned with flexing their power than letting the team function properly.

You can try and make this into another one of your Tomlin bashing threads but the truth is the owner gets the last word and it may be why Cowher left in the first place.
    Well, I'll tell ya what.... I'll take my chances with the Rooneys and you can continue your mancrush with Tomlin.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The ROONEY'S won NOTHING for 40 years, until Chuck Noll came in and cleaned house.
    You mean the same Chuck Noll that had 7 losing (along with one 8- seasons in Pittsburgh??

Administrator

User Info Menu

The ROONEY'S won NOTHING for 40 years, until Chuck Noll came in and cleaned house.
    I'll take the Rooneys...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They were the worst organization in football when he got there. And like now, like in the early 90's, when you win, your draft slot isn't as good, and you have some lean years.

Every team goes through it, especially in the cap era.

Cowher went through it, that seems to be forgotten by the Tomlin bashers here.
    Agreed. I was just having a little fun at the expense of those who (rightly) revere the Emperor but want Tomlin gone after one potentially losing season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, I'll tell ya what.... I'll take my chances with the Rooneys and you can continue your mancrush with Tomlin.
    The crush will continue as long as he is our HC.