Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2013 Steelers Defense is at the Bottom Against the Run

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    In retrospect, we probably shoulda tried to keep Max and Hampton for another year and we might have gotten a bit better than 8-8 with healthy Troy and Woodley back. So many of these young players are just not cutting it yet and may never. And we didn't add any significant FAs a la Farrior, Clark, Bettis to help us out.

I hope something starts clicking next week. As bad as we are, we're not that bad. There's still too much talent on this team for 0-4. It doesn't make sense.
    Not buying it... first off we are broke and rarely use FA so that isn't a realistic option for improving our team.

Second... Starks looks horrible. Maybe he would elevate his game for Ben but I thimk he is done.

Third... the longer we keep old players the longer young guys get to chill on the sidelines and hide how bad they are on game day. How many times have we heard about a young guy tearing up practice and then we see them in a game and they look lost.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Not buying it... first off we are broke and rarely use FA so that isn't a realistic option for improving our team.

Second... Starks looks horrible. Maybe he would elevate his game for Ben but I thimk he is done.

Third... the longer we keep old players the longer young guys get to chill on the sidelines and hide how bad they are on game day. How many times have we heard about a young guy tearing up practice and then we see them in a game and they look lost.
    On the flip side, it's looking like there's been a reason we've had to hold on to older players.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    On the flip side, it's looking like there's been a reason we've had to hold on to older players.
    Us older people cost too much, way too expensive to keep around.

Omar Khan used to be heralded as a genious for his cap work.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the problems with the run D start with McClendon and Hood. Everybody wondered last year why McClendon wasn't playing more. It turns out that it wasn't an irrational allegiance to veterans, but it was his lack of talent. The last time I remember a Steelers NT struggling this much was the year that KVO played NT before moving to DE. McClendon has proved that he is nothing more than a situational player.

Both McClendon and Hood have been easily controlled by one blocker. That is leaving the MLBers to take on guards, and the MLBers cannot get off the blocks. Vince Williams has been awful so far, and Timmons always seems to be getting blown out of a whole.

James Harrison is also a significant loss. His backside pursuit was amazing, in addition to his strength at the POA. I like Jarvis Jones, but he is not and will not be James Harrison.

The team has lost a lot of talent, and the younger guys aren't as good as the vets they replaced.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I think the problems with the run D start with McClendon and Hood. Everybody wondered last year why McClendon wasn't playing more. It turns out that it wasn't an irrational allegiance to veterans, but it was his lack of talent. The last time I remember a Steelers NT struggling this much was the year that KVO played NT before moving to DE. McClendon has proved that he is nothing more than a situational player.

Both McClendon and Hood have been easily controlled by one blocker. That is leaving the MLBers to take on guards, and the MLBers cannot get off the blocks. Vince Williams has been awful so far, and Timmons always seems to be getting blown out of a whole.

James Harrison is also a significant loss. His backside pursuit was amazing, in addition to his strength at the POA. I like Jarvis Jones, but he is not and will not be James Harrison.

The team has lost a lot of talent, and the younger guys aren't as good as the vets they replaced.
    Chadman believes the truth of it is a mix of this post and Steeler-fan-in-TO's post.

The Steelers (and a number of fans...) said all last season that McLendon was playing well enough to be a full time starter. He's a disruptive force up the middle that has bulked up enough to hold the line, we were told.

Fact is, McLendon's play has been the complete opposite. He's regularly moved out of the way of the running back, if he doesn't take himself out of the way first, and the pocket surrounding the QB has not been in any danger of being penetrated, or even at the least, collapsed, by him. This has directly effected the ability of those around, and particularly behind him. Both Williams & Timmons have faced more 1 on 1 blocks with an OG than Chadman can ever remember the ILB's facing. Love it or hate it, LeBeau's defense needs those OL occupied so the LB's can shine. If the OL isn't having to double team our DL's, then the whole D falls apart- much like when philly recalled the KVO year at NT. Funnily enough, Chadman thinks a similar solution to what the Steelers did the next year might fix this group too- draft a real NT, move McLendon to Hood's DE spot.

Both Woodley and Jones are closing the edges of the pocket in pass protection, but because the pocket in front of the QB is so open, they are just stepping forward to avoid our OLB's. If our DL could collapse that pocket, then here's betting our sacks and turnovers would increase as a result.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Chadman believes the truth of it is a mix of this post and Steeler-fan-in-TO's post.

The Steelers (and a number of fans...) said all last season that McLendon was playing well enough to be a full time starter. He's a disruptive force up the middle that has bulked up enough to hold the line, we were told.

Fact is, McLendon's play has been the complete opposite. He's regularly moved out of the way of the running back, if he doesn't take himself out of the way first, and the pocket surrounding the QB has not been in any danger of being penetrated, or even at the least, collapsed, by him. This has directly effected the ability of those around, and particularly behind him. Both Williams & Timmons have faced more 1 on 1 blocks with an OG than Chadman can ever remember the ILB's facing. Love it or hate it, LeBeau's defense needs those OL occupied so the LB's can shine. If the OL isn't having to double team our DL's, then the whole D falls apart- much like when philly recalled the KVO year at NT. Funnily enough, Chadman thinks a similar solution to what the Steelers did the next year might fix this group too- draft a real NT, move McLendon to Hood's DE spot.

Both Woodley and Jones are closing the edges of the pocket in pass protection, but because the pocket in front of the QB is so open, they are just stepping forward to avoid our OLB's. If our DL could collapse that pocket, then here's betting our sacks and turnovers would increase as a result.
    You're right on Chadman. The DL is struggling. So what is the adjustment? Seems like we are just running out the same template, i.e. 10 yard cushions, etc. Now they have Troy wrestling with 300lb offensive linemen and running himself out of plays. If anything that makes a down field play easier for our opponents.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

McClendon may just be good enough with his 'active play' to be on the field ahead of Fangupo, but his presence there turns out to be a detriment to our entire defense because he is not holding the line. Lets just get the big guy in there, I don't care if he makes a single tackle, and suit up Al Woods while we are at it.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.