Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I charted DL 10 yd cushion defense...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    Maybe DL needs to get a little more aggressive in his calls
    And when he does and it doesn't work, he gets crucified.

DL's sending the DLine after the QB and we can't stop the run. And we're not talented enough up front to get after the QB either. And the offensive woes are not helping whatsoever because our opponents can afford to play conservative. It's a virtuous cycle.

The offense is coming around, so I'd still keep things the same on D for now and focus on tackling and stopping the run. If our O starts working, so will this D.

The system's proven and works. We just need to execute. Stick to the plan. Innovation ebbs and flows. The soup du jour can work for a season until everyone figures it out. I trust the consistency of the existing system. Players just need to ball.

Legend

User Info Menu

Blah,blah,blah on the scheme....
    Ask the Patriots years back how to beat the Steelers Lebeau defense.
    Spread em out and get rid of it quick.
    Thats what teams have done.
    You really think teams can't figure out a defense?
    If you don't have the players for your defense, then blame the players?
    Take Lewis for example-
    Press man cover CB drafted to learn the cushion zone.
    Took him 3 years to learn and now he's gone.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Agreed.
    In 2008, this scheme fielded one of the best defenses of all-time and won the SB. Two years later, we were in the SB again with "DL's scheme." The next year, and the following two years including this one, we have clearly fell off (i.e. takeaways). This (now) three-year trend isn't because the scheme suddenly got figured out.

Twenty years running a scheme, and it suddenly got figured out? No. It is a talent thing. We have no one besides Polamalu, who can make game-changing plays on a regular basis. And even Troy is older now.
    People started getting concerned about the scheme when our D gave up the lead to AZ.

I think the scheme has been figured out for a while now but teams still have to "execute" in order to beat us.

IMO a good scheme means you can plug in a few average players and still get good production. If we need vets and all pros for the scheme to work then its not a good scheme IMO and it needs to be adjusted.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Blah,blah,blah on the scheme....
    Ask the Patriots years back how to beat the Steelers Lebeau defense.
    Spread em out and get rid of it quick.
    Thats what teams have done.
    You really think teams can't figure out a defense?
    If you don't have the players for your defense, then blame the players?
    Take Lewis for example-
    Press man cover CB drafted to learn the cushion zone.
    Took him 3 years to learn and now he's gone.

Bingo.. the scheme only works with all pros.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Man I wish we had a Zimmerman coached defense. 3rd and long he send the house and not the illusion of sending it.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It is a multi-year trend that allows teams more focused on passing to start their drives by putting the defense on its heels. It allows the easy 7-8 yard catch and makes the down and distance favor the offense.
    A multi-year trend?

You've been complaining at the defense since the Trib live days. There was the season you pined for a Tampa-2, and you still pine for the 4-3 and despise the 3-4.

Eventually, if you complain about a defense for the better part of a decade, you are bound to be right once. Of course, the defense is struggling now the guys you criticized are no longer with the team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    People started getting concerned about the scheme when our D gave up the lead to AZ.

I think the scheme has been figured out for a while now but teams still have to "execute" in order to beat us.

IMO a good scheme means you can plug in a few average players and still get good production. If we need vets and all pros for the scheme to work then its not a good scheme IMO and it needs to be adjusted.
    How many defenses work with subpar play from the defensive line and with a MLB who is not NFL caliber?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Steelers are inferior on both the OL and the DL. We get dominatted at the LOS. On D, it makes our LBs orse, and it makes our secondary worse. Do not like the cushion, and I wonder if it would be alot worse for us to play press coverage and give up more big pass plays for lack of pressure on the QB. We arent keeping the LBs clean to stop the run, and our DBs need to play back a bit to support the run D (if they could tackle). It is bleak, and it all sits with inferior line play at its root.

Legend

User Info Menu

defense is fine. talent is fine. it's the inability to make in-game adjustments when you run into the team that goes to the quick-passing that is a problem... and this is not new. Been around since Tom Brady did it over a decade ago, immediately followed by Gruden/Gannon's raiders. I'm just surprised that LeBeau's defense doesn't face it more often... Cassell, just happened to know it from his days in NE and likely suggested it to the OC... why teams don't take that approach is beyond me..