Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discovery special.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Discovery special.

thoroughly enjoyed it. was nice to see that kind of access to the steelers. makes me crave their participation in hard knocks even more. if they agreed to this, who knows?

now about the steelers specifically.

Tomlin craves normalcy. so he practices the team on thursday, puts them on an airline to fly all night and land in london at 8 am (4am eastern), jump on a train, get to the practice field and immediately begin another practice.

yeah, that's normal.

I fly for a living. it's a myth you can sleep on an airplane. it's a bigger myth you conquer jet lag faster by staying up as long as possible. If we wanted to keep normal, simply never try to adjust. stay on east coast time the entire trip. hell, the game was at 1pm eastern.

leave thursday at noon. get to london at 7pm eastern. go to the hotel for a pre arranged dinner. go to bed normal eastern time. who cares if it's 5pm in the UK? put up some room darkening shades. wake up at a normal hour. practice under the lights in the am. don't try to shift.

tomlin can say his travel plans weren't a factor. they were. now, would we have won otherwise? doubt it. it was just one of many many factors that contributed to the overall suckage observed this year.

still, the show was good.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

nice post... their travel plans sucked.

Rookie

User Info Menu

They sucked. Travel plans are an excuse.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Travel plans had absolutely nothing to do with game against Vikings.

Legend

User Info Menu

Travel plans aren't an excuse.... but lets stop acting like their travel arrangements weren't a factor.

Legend

User Info Menu

How about this. Arrive three days earlier and spend three days on a promotional tour like the Vikings were. That is not normalcy either except on Super Bowl week. Either way is an issue, no excuses and they didn't make any.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers didn't get enough nappy nappy, and it was a factor in game. Please. Jet-lag isn't a disease. Nothing to do with jets either. It's a 6 hour time zone change, for a group of 20-30s aged healthy adults who have very little to do other than be alert during a 3 hour game two days later. Unless you are 90 year old spastic, its really not that taxing on any system in the body, if at all, and many people (including myself), seldom even feel "it." It was no more a factor in the game than the Gatorade at the game was made with European water, which takes some getting used to.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Steelers didn't get enough nappy nappy, and it was a factor in game. Please. Jet-lag isn't a disease. Nothing to do with jets either. It's a 6 hour time zone change, for a group of 20-30s aged healthy adults who have very little to do other than be alert during a 3 hour game two days later. Unless you are 90 year old spastic, its really not that taxing on any system in the body, if at all, and many people (including myself), seldom even feel "it." It was no more a factor in the game than the Gatorade at the game was made with European water, which takes some getting used to.

LOL... unless you play professional sports I don't see where your experience comes into play.

I'm pretty sure it has an effect... not saying its an excuse for the loss but flying 6 hours and the practicing. One day of rest and then playing against other prefessionals who arrived 4 or 5 days earlier has an effect, especially when this team has beeb playing below average in the states.

LOL at nothing to do other than being alert for 3 hours 2 days later.... uhh, being alert is something they fail to do at home... add a 6 hour flight and minimal rest and you get 40 points slapped on you by the Vikes....

Tons of missed tackles, missed assignments, etc...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    LOL... unless you play professional sports I don't see where your experience comes into play.

I'm pretty sure it has an effect... not saying its an excuse for the loss but flying 6 hours and the practicing. One day of rest and then playing against other prefessionals who arrived 4 or 5 days earlier has an effect, especially when this team has beeb playing below average in the states.

LOL at nothing to do other than being alert for 3 hours 2 days later.... uhh, being alert is something they fail to do at home... add a 6 hour flight and minimal rest and you get 40 points slapped on you by the Vikes....

Tons of missed tackles, missed assignments, etc...
    Thank you. It had to play a factor. Why do you think the Vikings came so much earlier?

Even in the US the experts talk about how hard it is (for example) for the 9ers to play in New York due to the travel and time change.

I have traveled to London, Barcelona, Rome, Berlin, Dusseldorf. And the time change wipes me out the next day, everytime. You can't tell me out of 55 players that it didn't have some effect.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Thank you. It had to play a factor. Why do you think the Vikings came so much earlier?

Even in the US the experts talk about how hard it is (for example) for the 9ers to play in New York due to the travel and time change.

I have traveled to London, Barcelona, Rome, Berlin, Dusseldorf. And the time change wipes me out the next day, everytime. You can't tell me out of 55 players that it didn't have some effect.
    Its crazy to say it had no impact...